1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

How do I tell my gf that I don’t like her cooking?

Discussion in 'Rebooting in a Relationship' started by greatdylan10, Jan 15, 2018.

1. greatdylan10

greatdylan10 New Fapstronaut

Don’t judge me on this, guys but yes, my girlfriend’s cooking is horrible. Don’t get me wrong though, I love how hard she tries and I appreciate her efforts, but dang, I can’t seem to hide it any longer. I need to get this off my chest because I’m going to be visiting her for the 3rd time in her hometown in Colombia and I don’t want to go through another homemade dinner with her.

I want our relationship to have complete honesty and a sense of comfortability which is why I think I’ll start it off with this. I met her through a romance tour a few months back and boy, was I in for a treat in the kitchen. The first time she brought me home and cooked for me, I almost choked (literally.) The second time, I had hoped her cooking skills would improve but was I dead wrong.

Now, I want to break the news to her but I don’t know how to start the conversation. Should I play it safe and tell her through chat or in person? If I do it online, she might not respond me for who knows how long but if I do it in person, she might get mad at me and kick me out.

I know how important cooking skills are for women and I don’t want to hurt her feelings but I gotta do this. Help me out here, guys. I need to break the ice!

2. Jennica

Jennica Fapstronaut

You can try cooking together with established recipes, start cooking for her or take cooking classes together as something you would like to learn with her.

Also, Build burn build.
    Build; Hay honey I love that you do this for me and I appreciate everything you do in the kitchen.
    Burn; I think it came out a little to over done, salty or whatever for my tast.
    Build; thank you for doing this, I love how you put this “ingredient” in it. That made for a great flavor.

Between my hubby and I he’s an amazing cook and a master at cooking meat. Way better than I.
    I’m better at baking but I have a couple of dishes that I’m fantastic at. We know our strengths in the kitchen and have worked it out together in the kitchen.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  3. NF4L

NF4L Fapstronaut

Actually from what I here Columbian food is pretty much terrible. It might not be that she doesn’t have cooking skills, but the recipes passed down and used daily in that region of South America is just unpalatable to you. Don’t blame her for her culture and what her society has forced upon her.

I would equate it to some of the American cooking I grew up with. Tuna fish casserole? Disgusting. Shit on a shingle? It seriously has shit in the name. Chicken nuggets? Since when was chicken some type of foamy meat? How does anyone like Mac and cheese that comes from the box? I mean I have never ever been able to just go and buy powdered cheese, but we eat that stuff like it’s going out of style. Not really intending to offend anyone, but there are plenty of comfort food dishes I’m sure each of us grew up with that we wouldn’t want want to eat again as adults, because we know better, and can buy better. Just because something has a bunching of salt and processed cheese doesn’t mean it tastes good. Some people just don’t know differently.

Maybe introduce her to some of your favorite dishes, so she knows what you like, instead of what she might know typical columbian males like hoping you do too. You might open her eyes to whole new world of flavor and taste. Kind of like when I first tasted good Indian food. Mind was blown by its complexity, aromas and flavor profiles.

ItsNeverTooLate and Jennica like this.
  4. Beamer_Dreamer

Beamer_Dreamer Fapstronaut

Tell her in person, it's much more respectable. Then you can offer something romantic. Ask her if she would like to take cooking classes with you.

Also, don't assume that because she is a women, that cooking skills are important. I'm the cook in our marriage and always have been in the relationship.

Jennica, Queen_Of_Hearts_13 and Kenzi like this.
  5. It all depends on what kind of people are both of you. I wouldn't tell at all, I would teach her how to do it instead.

6. Kenzi

Kenzi Fapstronaut

Tell her to her face and just be nice and say what it is you don't like.
    You can be honest without being cruel.
    The longer it goes on the worse it is.
    How do you know she just hates cooking and is only doing it because she thinks it's important to you?

Deleted Account and Jennica like this.
  7. My SO was not that good in the kitchen when we started dating. Fast forward and now she’s awesome with her own recipes. It took a mixture of honesty and some endearing bad dishes.

You can always say “I think Columbia’s food does not agree with my American stomach. Can you cook a bit more mildly.” That’s not totally honest.

Or just tell her: “We’re eating out b/c I want more time with you in thedroom.”

Kenzi and Jennica like this.
  8. ItsNeverTooLate

ItsNeverTooLate Fapstronaut

I’ve cut myself, burned me and food, over seasoned, underseasoned, made too spicy, melted utensils so many times in the kitchen my SO started cooking. I kept saying he didn’t have to and you know his best answer after ton’s of excuses?...Exactly what @Jennica said.

“I appreciate that you take the time and effort to cook. I grew up with different types of food and your style honestly is not my taste and/or doesn’t agree with my stomach. Would you mind if I did most of the cooking?”

I felt relieved because I hate cooking! I just thought it was something I was suppose to do. I really suck at it and nothing bothers me more than sucking at something. Now I’m his sous chef and help do the dishes (he won’t let me touch his cast iron or chef knives - I have my own set from K-Mart- though since I’m still a little untrained in the care of equipment). When he’s feeling under the weather I can usually make a mean boxed mac ‘n cheese or top ramen. Sometimes cereal is not half bad for dinner. ;)

Kenzi, FollowYourBeard and Jennica like this.
  9. GG2002

GG2002 Fapstronaut

Is it that you don’t like what she’s cooking say it’s meatloaf which you hate or does she make meatloaf but it’s super dry? She’s Columbian what’s your background? Sometimes food from different cultures is not what we are used to so it tastes bad. Maybe ask her to cook your favorite dish and do it with her.

10. The Wrestler

The Wrestler Fapstronaut

Learn how to cook.
    Be great at it.
    Teach her what you like.

And definitely keep a 2:1 positive comment to negative comment ratio, otherwise things go poorly.