1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Career advice - what would you do?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by yaaarp, May 23, 2018.

1. yaaarp

yaaarp Fapstronaut

So, a little situation at work, and I'm not sure how to proceed.

My manager recently put me forward for a fairly significant pay rise, as he recognised that I have a higher level of technical knowledge and more responsibility than others on the same level as me. Unfortunately, he can't just approve it, as it has to be approved by HR and Finance, who don't have the first clue who I am or what I do.

They've been dragging their feet over it, and I'm becoming convinced that its going to be rejected. A promotion isn't going to happen, as there isn't vacancy, and anyway that role is more about line-management, which I have no experience of. I've applied for the post before and been rejected on that basis.

Its not about the money - I'm well paid in comparison to other people doing my job at similar organisations, its about the recognition. I'm getting fed up of people getting paid the same as me and having a lot less stress and work to do, and equally fed up of people at a higher level coming to me for help because I know more than them.

What would you do? Stay, and put up with the situation, or leave for pastures new, even though I'd probably have to take a pay cut to do so?

Last edited: May 23, 2018
    Roboto 9er likes this.
  2. Roboto 9er

Roboto 9er Fapstronaut

Idk man not a situation I would ask a question about honestly.

Wait I guess I would just find something better when it showed up. I would do it the right way. Or just be assertive and tell someone how you feel.

3. Karimtolstoi

Karimtolstoi Fapstronaut

The way you explained things shows that you need promotion. If I were you I would go to convince the HR and financial manager to get it. If it doesn't work I wiould look for a new job where I my skills are to be more recognised. You will surely then get a better salary and a refreshing environment for your career.

Gotham Outlaw likes this.
  4. Why would this upset you if they’re getting paid less? Mo money mo problems, mate.

Anyway, regarding your situation I would leave only if it was clear that they’re never going to allow you to advance past where you are currently. If they’re providing you no room for growth then I say find a place that will.

5. yaaarp

yaaarp Fapstronaut

Typo - I meant to say 'getting paid the same as me'. I've edited the original post now.

Deleted Account likes this.
  6. Ah got it. Yeah, that would piss me off too.

7. JustinX

JustinX Fapstronaut

How long are you working at the that position? Longer as 1.5 year?
    If it is a technical job you should change it every 1.5 - 2 years --> that it the best and fastest way forward.
    If yes, start searching for new job but continue working on the old one until the new better is secured.

8. LEPAGE

LEPAGE Fapstronaut

I'm in a similar situation, and I don't see any other way out than to leave. Chances for promotion are slim, and tired of keeping those above afloat.

One positive in leaving is to gain new experience, maybe see some things you've never seen before. I haven't learned anything new at my job for at least two years, so it's something that appeals to me, even if I have to take a pay cut.

yaaarp likes this.
  9. Idk what I would do, but I will say, the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. My mom has bounced around to so many different jobs lately because she was unhappy about one thing or another, and each new job has its own problems that she doesn't enjoy either. Ultimately she finally ended up settling on the job she had in the first place, pretty much. Every job has its down sides. If you enjoy your job and are paid well, I would recommend trying to be content with what you have and not comparing your situations to other people's.

10. Moon Shot

Moon Shot Fapstronaut

As they say, "Wherever you go, there you are.' I mean, it's up to you, mate. Reanalyse your priorities. Do you value recognition of work over money? That's the first question you need to answer. Then, you're set. Well, there's always the risk that you will be even more unhappy in your second post. So, are you willing to take the risk? I wish you all the best in your endeavours. If I were you, depending on the financial conditions, I'd prefer recognition of work. But that's just my opinion. I don't know what I'd do in your shoes, though, like you, I'd value recognition of work over money. :)

Good day, @yaaarp

yaaarp and Divinekarma like this.
  11. Im with Castielle. There's always something not to like in a job, so if you are getting paid decent (and you did say you get paid more than other people with similar jobs), then you should find a way to make peace with your complaints and enjoy the upsides. If you cant, then obviously its time to move on.

yaaarp and Moon Shot like this.
  12. Moon Shot

Moon Shot Fapstronaut

Agreed

13. primaljade

primaljade Fapstronaut

"I'm becoming convinced"​

You mean: you convinced yourself. Have you developed relationships with other people in your organization to actually know this, or people that may be able to provide a recommendation?

I was in a similar situation waiting for a large raise/promotion considering I was doing work much higher than pay-grade, and had VPs leaving me desperate voicemails to accomplish stuff. I continued looking at other opportunities (none of them would pay what I demanded), and eventually I did get a big raise and a promotion.

"it has to be approved by HR and Finance, who don't have the first clue who I am or what I do."

This is a good guide that tells you who to connect with. Especially with finance, they can at least provide you valuable information about your contribution of dollars to the company, information you can use to argue objectively for a raise. Lots of people want a raise because they simply want a raise. Very few go to management and say "I've saved the company X dollars, or gained X dollars" and justify the raise that way; these are the types most likely to get raises and promotions.

14. LEPAGE

LEPAGE Fapstronaut

This is always something to keep in mind. The grass always seems greener. I've seen a few people leave and then come back to my place of work.

primaljade and Deleted Account like this.
  15. yaaarp

yaaarp Fapstronaut

Thats more of a hobby than a career

Deleted Account likes this.