1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Hello there.

Discussion in 'New to NoFap' started by Mr. Mongoose, May 23, 2018.

1. Mr. Mongoose

Mr. Mongoose Fapstronaut

Hi, everyone. I've been trying to quit PMO for the past few months and, despite doing it less than I used to, I haven't really kicked the habit just yet. So I'm here to keep myself accountable and receive support from a group of like-minded individuals. I have a few specific reasons why I am quitting:

1) I want to be able to have healthy relationships.
    2) I want my physical and creative energy back. I need it for all the things I want to accomplish in life that really matter.
    3) I want my time back. Any time spent PMOing could be better spent either doing something productive or something that brings real fulfillment.
    4) I want to have nothing to hide. I don't want to have to worry about someone seeing my browser history or walking in and catching me doing something shameful.
    5) I just want to be free of this compulsive behavior. It sucks being unable to focus or enjoy things because I feel like I need to unzip and get my fix all the time, even when I'm not aroused by anything.
    6) This one's embarrassing, but I'm going to be honest. I've never had a wet dream. Not one that I can remember at least. I feel like that's really abnormal and I have no doubt it's because of my PMO habits.

Those are my reasons for quitting. With the help of this community, I think I can actually pull it off this time and get to that sweet 90-day streak. At the date of this post, I'm currently at two weeks which is usually when I screw things up. That's why I'm making this post. I want that extra bit of accountability because I seriously want to be done with this PMO crap for good. Thanks for reading. I'm glad to be here with my fellow Fapstronauts!

2. 94d33m

94d33m Fapstronaut

You can definitely hit that 90 streak gold spot. Some guys have already been to 500 days and more and that should enough motivate you that it is indeed possible. Hope you can reach that 99th percentile one day Mr.Mongoose :D

Mr. Mongoose likes this.
  3. Hi. Welcome to forum!

Make sure you crate a personal journal thread in Reboot Logs section and blog there on a regular basis. As well as just generally be active participant in various forum discussions. I recommend this to everybody new here because it's the major thing that helped me when I was first starting. Just lurking on forums, reading and learning is great. But it usually is so much more powerful to engage. It helps to keep us motivated and accountable when we are active part of community. And keeps this in front of our minds so we don't forget about importance of it and slip away in our old habits. Sharing is also therapeutic. This is a major reason why AA meetings work so good. But that was developed before internet era. These days we can get most of the same benefits online through communities like this. So don't underestimate the power of active participation.

I would also like to suggest you to look into mindfulness meditation. It has helped me personally tremendously. It takes a while to get good at it and notice results, so you need to be consistent with it, but once you do it's very powerful. It has been used by sages for thousands of years to deal with various issues of the mind. And in recent decades the science is also catching up to what ancient sages have know for centuries. Meditation these days are widely used as very effective tool by psychologists for treating addiction and by neurologists for supporting recovery of the brain. It is a great exercise for the brain the same way as jogging is great exercise for the body. Check out this Ted talk, it gives a good idea of what's it about when it comes to philosophy. As far as practical side of it there is this awesome smartphone app called Headspace for guided meditations to get you started.

Wish you lot's of strength and success in your reboot journey!

Mr. Mongoose likes this.
  4. Mr. Mongoose

Mr. Mongoose Fapstronaut

Thank you for the encouragement, 94d33m!