1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

What do we all think of soul mates?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by TheCrazyThingIs, Jul 5, 2018.

1. Do you think they exist? Is there only one? Can you have multiple lovers, but one soul mate? Can you have multiple soul mates?

I know my own thoughts on the topic, just wondered what everyone else here thought.

I myself believe I have found mine, but due to my addiction and other variables, we are seperated, though still long for eachother deeply.

xoxo

2. Personally, i dont think there are soul mates in the usual sense. In other words i dont think that every person has a specific soul mate placed on the earth for them to find or not find, but i do believe that there can be a person who is perfect for you and vice versa. A person that you can happily spend the rest of your life with and be fulfilled.

3. Say hypothetically that you found such a person, but your didn't appreciate it at the time, and ended up ruining the relationship.

You realize half a year later that they were your soul mate. And they confess to you that you are there's. But they are with someone else now.

What would be your reaction?

xoxo

4. Hmm...well obviously it would be a very tough thing to realize especially considering that she feels the same way. If she wasnt married, id feel that there was still a chance and try to convince her. Otherwise, i would have to move on.

5. tweeby

tweeby Banned

6. SolitaryScribe

SolitaryScribe Fapstronaut

I don't believe in soul mates... though I do believe in compatibility. Some people are more compatible with each other than others. That being said if you screwed it up with one person who was extremely compatible with you, don't obsess and move on. There are plenty of fish in the sea.

7. I don't believe someone is 'destined' to be my 'soulmate,' however with 8 billion people I believe everyone can find someone that might as well be a 'soulmate.' All it takes is searching & knowing what you want.

8. In my case she is not, and I am trying to convince her, I suppose.

But your post raises a question in my mind; what is it about marriage that people find seals everything? Humanity made marriage up. It is just a ring and a peice of paper. "Legality" doesn't define "Love".
    I like the idea of marriage, as it is a declaration to the rest of the world around you that you are very deeply in love with this person. My soulmate, for example, is a woman I would happily marry and regret not doing do before. But I am polyamorus. Love is infinite, and whilst I have only ever felt like marrying this one special person, it hasn't been to close them off from all others, but because I wish to declare my love in a legal sense, to everyone around me. I want everyone to know that she is loved very deeply by me.
    The problem is, whilst not married, she is with someone else, whom dislikes me incredibly and would not like her seeing me, and also she may be monogamous (I am not sure on this, I haven't really discussed it with her)

xoxo

This is a nice way of looking at it. I suppose I have met someone I feel that compatibility for... I just am not sure how I would go about meeting someone else with the same compatibility (another 'soulmate') and not sure that I even want to..

xoxo

I believe slightly in fate/destiny. I believe we choose our own, but that also certain events happen that are beyond our control. Take the roll of a dice for example. You give it six options you cannot decide between, and whatever option it lands on, is the one you go with. I know it is just physics that affect that die, pull it around and slam it down on the final decision... but that sliver of the unknown, of uncertainty as it is spinning and that feeling of being close to true randomness. I believe that is the closest we come to fate.

I guess a soul mate can mean someones soul who matches yours. Same humour, same emotions, same memories in a sense. You are identical in soul, thus being mated in soul.

xoxo

9. Marriage is a choice and thats why it seals everything. No one forces you to get married, but if you do, you are making a solemn promise to be with that person. Now if someone wants to get a divorce, im not judging them, things happen and people shouldnt be miserable the rest of their lives because of a bad choice. That being said, in this situation i would feel dishonorable if i tried to pry a married woman from her husband.

And by the way, humanity made up laws against murder too, that doesnt mean we should kill people ;)

Deleted Account likes this.
  10. Depends on the woman I guess. Some people like the promise of having one sexual partner for the rest of their lives once the ring is on their finger. Some even go out of their way for it.

I don't see the appeal for those reasons, though.

xoxo

11. Soul mate is a fantasy some dude made up to get laid.

12. There are many potential mates.

13. I dont believe in soul mates, but I do believe there are people who might be much better for you than others, of course.

Honestly, I've never believed in soul mates, but being married to my husband has made me question that sometimes. I think back to all of the other guys I've dated or been really interested in, and I can't possibly imagine being even half as happy with ANY of them. My husband is just so my perfect match in so so many ways that it almost makes me believe in soul mates.

God was also very much a part of us getting together, and we both felt incredibly led to each other by Him. There was a time when I liked him, but he was into someone else, and so I said okay fine, and I eventually went abs dated someone else for a bit. After a while though, I just felt like I didn't feel for that other guy half of what I felt for my now-husband. And I felt like God was telling me to wait and just be patient.

As we got closer as friends, and I waited, my husband told me that he was praying one night about that other girl he liked, and felt really discouraged and like God was closing that door. And then he said "well, God, is Castielle someone I maybe should be with?" And in his words, he says that he instantly loved me in that moment and knew that I was who he should be with.

I dont know if that makes us soul mates though. I believe there is a danger in believing in soul mates, because it could encourage infidelity. Because what if I had married my ex boyfriend, as I had plans to back then, and then I met my current husband later in life? What should I do? Should I break my vow to one man to pursue my "soul mate"? Certainly not. A vow is a vow, and meeting someone you think might be better is not a good reason to break it. I think there is a danger in constantly wondering if the person you're with is "THE" one or not, because there are times when it wont feel like they are, or when someone else will come along that will make you question that. So I think believing in soul mates might lead to a life of endless break ups and pursuing the next best thing every time you feel like the oerosn you're with might not be your soul mate because you met someone who seems better.

14. Also, come to think of it, perhaps we sort of make people into our soul mates.

I was pondering this. The man I dated just before my husband is now very different than he was back then, or at least I didn't realize he was that way then. His political beliefs, for one, are FAR different from my own, in a way that I would be very unhappy with and would cause some major arguments if we were married.

But, if we had gotten married back then, maybe he wouldn't have those views? Or maybe I would have different views than I do, because I'm influenced by him?

In some ways, my husband and I are good for each other based on things that have always been true: personality traits hes always had or I've always had, our upbringing, the views we had before we were together, etc. BUT, on the other hand, perhaps one reason we are so good together right now is because we've been living in very close proximity in a romantic atmosphere for 5 years. Hes probably become a lot like me in a lot of ways, and I've probably become a lot like him. So perhaps that's why people think they are soul mates sometimes. They've sort of made themselves into soul mates over time.

That being said, there are plenty of things I dont necessarily like all the time about my husband, and I'm sure he could say the same about me. But even those things, God can use for good and to strengthen our marriage and grow us as individuals, because conflicts and disagreements and differences can sharpen you as a person.

So yeah, I think I'm going to stick with no on the soul mates question. I think it's too simple of a notion to encompass everything that goes into making something like love or a marriage work out. And I think if someone truly believed in soul mates, they would probably never find theirs, because nobody is every going to be perfect. And shouldnt a soul mate -- if he/she exists -- be perfect for you?

15. TheCalm

TheCalm Fapstronaut

I don't think there is such thing as a soulmate (as in the perfect woman or man for you in the idealized sense). There are people who can be very compatible with your personality, lifestyle, values and goals who you might also find attractive. However, I think every individual has their own set of problems that prevents any relationship from being the idealized "soulmate" relationship. Furthermore I would argue that a person doesn't necessarily have to be initially compatible with you to seem like a "soulmate". Humans are constantly adapting and changing their perspectives, so the person you might look at with disdain might eventually become someone you end up loving from a mere change in paradigm; usually stemming from accumulated experience in interacting with that individual and just living your life.

Take any pair of individuals from the opposite sex and of a similar age and throw them into a stranded island where they have to depend on each other for survival for a few months. Likability is they will come out of the situation thinking of each other as soulmates.

16. Its complete and total utter stupidity, moronic, absurd bullshit, bananas.

There is no such thing as soul mates.

Why limit yourself to one person? There are so many people who may be right for you and this apparent soul mate of yours may not be your best match.

I mean come on, there is one person on the planet that you where meant to meet and spend the rest of your life with. What absurdity.

BTW, there is a soul of a person but no part that is divine. Even if you are spiritual, to believe there is one soul mate is dumb. Whatever, your life, good luck with your "soul mate". (Cough)

No seriously, good luck!
    All the best

17. tweeby

tweeby Banned

I believe in soul mates, as long as they are easy on the eye and great in the sack and my personality match, that's my only criteria. Luckily @lolwut fulfils 1/3 of ma bucket list, so it's all gravy.

18. But how many of them make you yearn for them every second of every day. How many of them can you share a smile and a laugh with? How many do you look at and just thing... "Wow... I really fucking love you, with all of me"
    Whilst I cannot agree with everything you say due to my conflicts with religion and monogamy, I find your tale to be a very beautiful and moving one. You have found someone, and recognize the beauty of your union. That is a very pure, and real thing.
    You recognize that you don't always love everything about them (for no one is perfect) but you do love THEM; It makes me happy to know that two people can find such happiness in eachother, and I hope monogamy works out well for you both!

I quite like and also agree with your idea that your can "make" a soul mate. Humans naturally pick up mannerisms from people we want to like us, and from people we spend a lot of time with, and I suppose if you are quite compatible to begin with, you then create someone who's soul is quite similar to yours - and equally, they mold your soul to theirs too. You weave into each others souls - your personalities, and interests, shared experiences and memories - and become connected on a level that is beyond human understanding. Thus is love, and love is great.

Thank you for sharing!

xoxo

Indeed, sharing experiences and time with someone, can make you appreciate more things about them as time goes on. If people were trapped in a survival situation and escaped it together, they would indeed be brought closer together - despite initial dislike if it was there - as they would have shared trauma and survived.
    This brings it back again to the idea of "creating" a soul mate - your souls are brought closer together, as you have the memories and shared experiences in order to reference back to.

xoxo

Who said anything about one person?

Just because I have only one other human alive that I consider my soul to be bound to across space and time, does not mean I consider myself incapable of loving other people.
    The woman I speak of, whom I consider my soul mate, is very special to me. So special, that I would declare my love for her in a legal announcement of marriage - something that I cannot say about anyone else I love, or have ever loved. I want the world to know that she is loved, by me, with the ring on her finger and the ceremony to celebrate it.

But, I love another (Disclaimer; I am polyamorus, all of these relationships are ethical and known by each party), and feel capable of loving many more. My souls are not bound to these people, I do not feel them to be my "soulmate", as whilst I love them I don't feel this burning desire to declare it in the same way.
    These people are also special to me, and we share intimate times and moments, but my soul does not feel as close to them as it does with this one. Perhaps it is as I said before - me and this soul shared so many intimate times and memories, that when everyone else past on, we were their for eachother the longest, and thus our souls are woven together with these experiences - but is that not what a soulmate is? I believe it is, and such I believe that soul mates do exist.

xoxo

Peoples definitions of soulmates seem to differ - from it being the "word of god", to it being experiences, and some for it being both and for some it simply being an issue of compatibility in terms of personality, etc. I believe there are many different ways to describe it, but in each of them it seems that the idea is that the souls do match closer that that of other peoples souls, and that is quite a beautiful thing.
    Thank you for all the responses to this thread, I have found it quite interesting to read different peoples takes on this!

xoxo

19. It's impossible to be with someone who you'll love all the time, everyone has things about them that their SO will hate.

The trouble with believing in soul mates is that there's a domino effect where you'll be responsible for the downfall of many relationships if you get it wrong. I mean if there's only one person for you what if you get it wrong? If you get it wrong then it means you've taken away another persons soul mate, and then that other person has got with someone else's soul mate and that other person is not with their soul mate either. With soul mates, all it takes is just one person to get it wrong and many if not every relationship could be messed up. That a lot of pressure to put on a relationship.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2018
  20. An interesting point.
    I feel I should stress again that in my view, love is infinite. I have a person in my life who is my soul mate, who is the only person I would consider marrying myself, I have never felt this way about another human before and don't feel the need to develop the same feeling elsewhere.

That doesn't mean I begrudge any other relationship she has, anyone she loves, is welcome to me, as long as they make her happy, because I love her, and I want that for her. Equally, I am not holding myself back, or removing myself from the equation with others, as I have love elsewhere also. But the fact we can come back round to eachother and say we love eachother in that way, in a way that our souls are bonded together, I feel like that means something.
    If you both consider eachother to be your 'soulmate', and yet accept your ability to love endlessly as part of you, and part of them, I find that special.

xoxo