1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Cold showers FTW

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by theferryyman, Jan 13, 2015.

1. theferryyman

theferryyman Fapstronaut

Hi all, just wanted to say I'm taking cold showers now and they're starting to get easier and I have a much smaller urge to fap these days than beforehand :) the way I did it first time was get ready, turn the shower on, look at it for a bit, put my feet in, then my hands. Then I backed out because it was too cold and I turned it off. I stared at it for 5 minutes, then came to the conclusion that I was NOT going to let a shower beat me. So I turned it on, got in, cried like a little bitch (internally of course, this was at 1 am and my flatmates were sleeping). If you can do cold showers you can do anything! Separates the men from the boys. Take it up guys, and good luck!

2. ruso

ruso Fapstronaut

Wish you the best with the cold showers, Still too chicken to do it. Maybe I will one of these days. Thanks for this
    It made my day and added some humor to my day.

You are a brave man!

BlueRadar likes this.
  3. Some Randomer

Some Randomer Fapstronaut

Hell yea dude!

So glad to see other people realising the power of cold showers.
    Been doing them for about 2 months now. Making sure to never turn the tap hot :)

Giving yourself no option but to take a cold shower has really taught me so many things. Like managing fear and hesitation, getting it done etc. And it applies to other areas of life also.

Also i feel like when my body is cold from the water, for the first few moments my mind is on fire. Like a good kind of fire. I let all the worries and troubles come to the surface and focus on them for a moment. It's really clarifying!

Keep it up. Pleased to hear about it :)

4. theferryyman

theferryyman Fapstronaut

Ngl though, washing my hair gives me mega brain freeze :p

5. Lol I did the cold showers a few time but need to get back into it. I started off hot, and slowly turned the nozzle every minute or slow until it was cold.

6. sirfapstinence

sirfapstinence Fapstronaut

Couldn't agree more. My first cold shower was a total adrenaline rush. I hadn't felt so alive in a long time. Ever since I started, I've become more used to them. But the initial bit of going head first is still irritating. That brief hesitation is what I want to overcome. Walk in like a beast. haha

All the best!

7. Some Randomer

Some Randomer Fapstronaut

Thats it right there! That moment of hesitation! HATE IT lol.
    I am hoping that the hesitation period will just get shorter and shorter until one day it just doesn't exist :)

8. theferryyman

theferryyman Fapstronaut

Just duck in head first. Getting your head and face wet is the worst bit, as it feels crap, then proceeds to trickle down your body. Just turn it on, duck your head in, follow with your body and close the shower door so you can't escape. Stay in there for as long as it takes to scrub down or longer if you're enjoying it

9. ruso

ruso Fapstronaut

Allright so I went in the shower in the morning but set it as a little colder then warm. Not actually cold. Getting there I guess lol.

10. Ghost.

Ghost. Fapstronaut

I grew to love cold showers over the couple of last months. Not just the aftermath but the actual sensation too.

11. vizsla

vizsla Fapstronaut

is an adrenaline rush the point?
    why DO you do these?
    really

12. sirfapstinence

sirfapstinence Fapstronaut

Good question vizsla.

No an adrenaline rush isn't the point of taking a cold shower. It's just one of the things that you experience when you take a cold shower. I suggest watching a TED Talk on Cold Shower Therapy - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gb0h8ZKvJW4

If you can overcome something as small and inconsequential as taking a cold shower and shunning the hesitation to the discomfort that comes with it, you consciously and subconsciously train your mind to try and come out of it's comfort zones in other spheres of your life. You begin to realise that discomfort isn't unbearable. It is what it is, a discomfort. The Ted talk explains this better than I could.

I'm no expert but they definitely reduce the urge to PMO and I feel great afterwards. My two bits worth out of my own experience.

13. obsrac

obsrac Fapstronaut

it is a cold winter country where I live so cold showers first thing in the morning are not doable for me at all. Also, the cold water here is basically ice cold. With that said, I usually take a quick warmish shower and do my cleaning, then slowly turn the dial colder until I am heavily breathing from the cold water. Then I wait in it for about 2-3 minutes.

One thing I notice is that on the days I do it, I get some pretty serious cold sweats at night. It is almost always on the days that I have cold showers and never on days that I didn't do the cold shower. Anyone else experience this?

14. jco81

jco81 Fapstronaut

Hi Guys

I just direct the cold water to flow over my penis, and balls, seems to work for me!

15. ruso

ruso Fapstronaut

Ok, I did it. Felt great! Unlike CasualMe95 I live in hot climate most the time, so this wasn't as severe. I do get an adrenaline rush, instant calmer, and good way to push yourself to do stuff you aren't used to as the OP said "I told myself to stop being a lil bitch and got in there". That being said..Lol...Gonna ease into it. I will take one every Sunday.

16. evolve

evolve Fapstronaut

Congrats! I love them, everyday i can't wait to take my cold shower, specially when i do some sports or exercise and it helps a lot with NoFap challenge

17. adayatatime

adayatatime Fapstronaut

Actually I tried Mark’s suggestion today:
    “Take a cold shower like if you’re taking a warm shower” without fighting it.
    Excellent!

My procedure:

1 - Heat up the bathroom with a portable heater
    2 – Warm up by adopting the full plank position for a minute fully clothed
    3 – Brush the skin with a heavy brush
    4 – Brush the skin with a natural fiber scourer
    5 – Get in the shower & let the water flow without getting inside
    6 – soap all over with a sponge

By now the body should be adapting to the water temperature

7- rinse the sponge & put the wrists on direct contact with the cold water
    8 – then the ankles
    9 – then wet very well the temples of the forehead

Warning !!!

DO NOT PUT THE HEAD YET UNDER THE SHOWER
    (The head is the hottest part of the body & will keep you warm in the first stages of the cold shower)

DO NOT GO FOR THE WHOLE BODY UNDER THE SHOWER YET
    (Parts of the body out of the shower will help to keep the body warm)

10 – Go for it without wetting the head & rinse one shoulder + armpit by rubbing with a vigorous friction, turn around & rinse that side on the back.

11 – do the other side

12 – Now waist & legs
    (keep the upper side of the body out of the shower)

13 – turn around

14 – get off the shower & count
    1 Mississippi
    2 Mississippi
    3 Mississippi
    4 Mississippi
    5 Mississippi

15 – (By now the body is almost adapted to the temperature)
    Put your head under the shower and keep the rest of the body out of the shower.

16 – shampoo + rinse

17 - go for the full shower

IF IT GETS TOO COLD GET OUT OFF THE SHOWER & COUNT FOR 5 SECONDS (No more than that because than it may be difficult to get back into the cold water)

By now the cold water BURNS & it heats up the body.

DO NOT TAKE COLD SHOWERS IF YOU ARE TREMBLING IT MAY BE DANGEROUS FOR THE MUSCLES.

NORMALLY YOU SHOULD NEVER TREMBLE

The key is to have a steady deep breathing going on & relax.

I used to have a tree climbing instructor that used to tell me on icy cold days with snow: “Stop being cold!” I never understood him until I assimilated what he was saying.
    I’ve been taking cold showers exclusively for almost three years now. No hot water what so ever except for doing the dishes & even then I turn it down as well so that it gets just slightly warm. I’m afraid that if I take warm showers now I’ll have a very hard time going back to cold shower, so I avoid them 100%!

Ubuntu,

18. thedaring9

thedaring9 Fapstronaut

Everytime before I go into the cold water with my main body I let out a warcry.

Since I'm training myself to face uncomfortable situations, if you see someone who is screaming because he's facing something uncomfortable, that's probably me.

19. mijereah

mijereah Fapstronaut

I would have to agree. Cold showers really helped me get through up to my 60 days last summer. They worked really well.

20. whitewiz

whitewiz Fapstronaut

good for you though easiest way to do a cold shower is switch of the mind and jump straight in and wow that feeling you get like your a warrior or a viking raider its fierce absolutly fierce brothers check it out