1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

New comer, needs advice!

Discussion in 'New to NoFap' started by MrHockey77, Feb 5, 2015.

1. MrHockey77

MrHockey77 New Fapstronaut

Hello everyone! So I started masturbating roughly 3 or so years a go and I have not been able to stop since. I have given it a few goes here and there but I've never gotten serious about it. So, despite being a bit embarrassed to say so, the longest I've ever gone with out cranking it is about a week. Yes I know it's a bit sad but this realization has led me to really get serious about quitting.

I am tired of being controlled by women, sexual desires, etc. I am tired of being controlled by this habit. I mean, it's like I have to do it every day and if I don't, I am extremely horny for what seems like forever until it gets done. I mean it's like the slightest little thing sets me off. I also would like to quit for religious purposes, being a Christian I think I definitely should beat this habit.

So what advice do any of you have on kicking this? I mean I'm not sure if I should go cold turkey or do various challenges and build myself up. I don't have a girlfriend at the moment (the 3 I've had recently were almost neglected since I was just cranking it instead of trying to advance the relationship). More importantly, what advice do you have for me when I get some SERIOUS urges. I'm trying to avoid sexually suggestive media but unfortunately in today's world, that's near impossible.

I'm not sure I'd like to totally give up masturbation forever but I definitely don't like being under it's control. I'd maybe enjoy just doing it here and there for fun and not because I have to. Do you have any advice for this goal?

Thanks all,
    Mike

2. BahaiGuy

BahaiGuy Fapstronaut

I've been going cold turkey, also for religious reasons. If you can't tell from my username, I'm a Bahá'í. The Bahá'í Faith emphasizes absolute chastity outside of marriage, and that includes masturbation.

I seem to be having luck with the cold turkey method, with the help of God. I've been praying and meditating on the Writings, and every day I look back to see if what I did that day fits how a Bahá'í should live his life. As a man of faith, I assume you'll be doing the same no matter what method you use. It helps more than anything you can learn here or anywhere else, trust me. That doesn't mean you shouldn't take the advice of the people here. They're experienced, they know the challenges and possible pitfalls. Which is exactly why I'm here.