1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

One month in

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by fapachino, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Well I'm one month into no PMO and over 2 weeks without O (hard mode). Here's my thoughts so far.

My mood is SO much better. I have had issues with depression and anxiety on and off and got really bad over the last few months, this was one the main things that led me to seek out nofap. I feel a lot more positive and depression and anxiety are down a lot. Still there a bit but manageable. I feel more confident and happy and life is just generally better. At the same time as doing nofap I have been working to get my relationship with God (I'm a Christian) back on track and I think this has really helped too. There seems a lot of guys on here who have a faith but struggle with PMO and while I've been thinking about this over the last while I came to wonder if we try to replace the correct response to God calling to us with PMO. What I mean is, we at a deep level feel that longing for something more but rather than turning to God on a daily and ongoing basis to satisfy we turn to PMO since it's a quicker and easier hit. I don't know and I don't really want to preach to people but I've seen folks on here and other places talk about how much getting to a better place with God has helped them with these issues. I've also read about folks who started no PMO without any thought of God but found the beauty of him and life with him became clear the them when they got a handle on this issue. As I said I don't want to preach, I just know for so long I've struggled and if this helps anyone get more of a handle on things then that's great.

My relationship with my wife is much better. I'm doing hard mode at the moment so we're not doing much but we've not been in a great place so that's not been too difficult! Anyway, last night we had a bit of time together and it was nice just to be a bit intimate but not go all the way to O or in fact anywhere near it. After I felt so close to her and basically was such a bug to her, kept telling how much I love her and wanting to snuggle with her. It felt like when we first started dating. I didn't realise how much PMO has robbed me of a decent relationship with my wife.

Brain fog is much better. Really struggled with this but it's now pretty much gone and feeling able to think clearer.

Coping with urges better. After last night with the wife she was out this morning and I was off with and empty house. Normally I would have been straight on the net and knocking one out for a while in this situation and there were urges to do that, probably the strongest urges I've had in the past month, but I don't want that crap and I was able to push it away. I don't think the urges will ever fully go away but I'm happy to fight them I need to and remember the destruction it brings when I give in. I don't want that life anymore, I prefer my life the way it is now.

I've said I'm aiming for 90 days no PMO and 90 days no O (hard mode). In reality I'm actually looking to never PM again and I'm less fussed about going 90 days hard mode. If things with the wife got good in the next few weeks I'd be happy to go with that but I'm just wary of an O setting me back. I found that right at the start but I think things might be a bit more reset now.

That bring me on finally to the start. The first 1 - 2 weeks were VERY hard for me. Not so much urges, just feeling really unwell. Like I had mild flu. I think it was withdrawals and so if you're going through that stick with it and you'll get there.

Be strong men! You are better than this!

Dimali likes this.
  2. Congratulations. Keep up the great progress. You are an inspiration to me. Hopefully in two weeks, I'll be able to say I have completed a month...and you'll be reflecting on doing 6 weeks. Blessings to you from one brother to another.

fapachino likes this.
  3. skillfulparrot

skillfulparrot Fapstronaut

Thanks for sharing, especially with the perspective of your faith. There's definitely a difference between sharing your belief, and being preachy. Most sensible people are quite content to let a person share. Very few like being preached to (even if it's from their own faith).

I'm not married, so hard-mode is the only option for me right now. I'm not quite two weeks in and while I haven't had flu like symptoms my stress and GI tract have been out of control. Thankfully, I think I'm starting to get through both of those symptoms as well.

What's funny is that at the root of it all, I'm reminded of this scripture, "All hard work bring a profit... Pr 14:23". Well, overcoming this is hard work. But the result should definitely profit many other areas in my life (not even speaking financially, though at the end of a long chain if I'm less stressed and more focused I can do better work, and better work tends to lead to better results, etc.).

Saying a prayer for you and the wife. Glad to hear you're enjoying some closeness.

4. Thanks mate. Wife just gave me a big hug and said we need spend more time with me as she misses me. A month ago she hardly wanted to talk to me at points. Why have I not been doing this for years?

5. greekman

greekman Fapstronaut

Congrats keep walking :)

6. Runnerguy

Runnerguy Fapstronaut

I enjoyed reading your post. In my case I am trying to find a path closer to God and away from pmo (sounds like it's a similar experience for you). I started praying more, not just for myself, but for everyone in my life. I had a setback this morning when I couldn't sleep (no more caffeine for me!) but I am hoping the coming week will be easier and I think I will be praying a lot more and thinking about my relationship with God.

7. Roy838

Roy838 Fapstronaut

I started this with God and it helps, in my religion (christianity) lust is sinful that is what made me want to stop PMO overall! I hope you can reach your goal! wish me luck too!

8. loganmbyers

loganmbyers New Fapstronaut

This is encouraging. Just joined today because I need to make a change. One thing I heard last week form a guy was to stop praying that God take away the urge and temptation but to pray that we would choose him every time. thanks for your story and I pray that I have one very similar to yours.

9. Huggan73

Huggan73 Fapstronaut

Totally encouraging.. Great to hear marriages being repaired with NoFap

10. Still going well. Getting a handle on my urges and it's easier to tell them where to go as I don't want to stop getting on as well in life as I am. Wife suggested we have a bottle of wine and watch a movie tonight. Again, not something she's have suggested a few weeks back. Seriously guys, get a handle on this, start to feel better about yourself and life and then give your wife some space and I reckon a lot of you will see the improvements I've seen.

11. Been feeling a bit rough again the last few days, anxious, not sleeping too great and some more brain fog. Just wondering if this might be related to having a bit of intimacy with my wife last week? I didn't O but I just wonder if was a bit like edging? It could just be my anxiety and depression that I have to try and keep a handle on. It's just strange 'cause I felt great for 2 weeks. I worry that if it is that then I might never be able to be like that with my wife again.

Thoughts?

12. Thanks for sharing, fapachino. It's great to hear such encouragement from someone with a story so similar to mine. I've been married a couple of years, and have struggled with PMO for all of that time, and the ten years before that. I see the health of my relationship with my wife to be inextricably tied to my ability to control myself sexually. I'd say that it's even a more profound influence out of the bedroom than in- I'll explain what I mean by this. My desire to connect with her, my ability to be charming, to make her feel wanted, to actually be the man she fell in love with... All of these characteristics are multiplied when I'm off PMO.

Congratulations on 40 days. I think there's something significant about the 40 day mark- lots of posts have said that 40-50 days was a time of transition, when the "reset" really began to reveal some positive effects.

Keep going strong. Praying for you, brother...

13. Thanks mate that's encouraging. Interesting to hear about the 40 - 50 day thing. Just trying to push into God tonight and really rest in his love.

Totally agree with you regarding connecting with wife.

14. You're not always going to feel great. Correlating the intimacy with your wife and your lack of vitality is crazy. You're not always going to sleep well, and feel great. Brain fog is something we all experience from time to time apart from PMO- though PMO certainly causes it. Lastly, I'd say that this worry you're experiencing might be as toxic as PMOing- though you're not actually doing it, it's exhibiting a degree of control over your thoughts and actions.

I wish you the best...

15. PS Love the C S Lewis quote. His apologetics books have been a big influence on me over the years. Mere Christianity was literally life changing

16. Fair points. Good to get another view point on it.

17. Fapachino,

Thanks for sharing. I didn't mean to offer too critical a perspective- just hoping to be encouraging.

You crossed my mind during my reading this morning. I thought this might be helpful, in the place you're in:

"Do you not know that when you present yourselves to someone as slaves for obedience, you are slaves of the one whom you obey, either of sin resulting in death, or of obedience, resulting in righteousness?" (Rom. 6:16)

We've been given the freedom to choose self-control. As we exercise self control (for Christians, we might call this obedience to Jesus, but it applies to everyone), we move further into a more free and fulfilling life.

Carry on, soldier.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2015
    fapachino likes this.
  18. Thanks my friend. That's an encouragement and helpful at the moment as I'm still not feeling great.