1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

El Paso Wal-Mart shooter

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by SuperFan, Aug 4, 2019.

1. SuperFan

SuperFan Fapstronaut

He seemed like a real incel type. An isolated kid who never could get a girlfriend and was mad at the world for it. I read his manifesto, and it was all over the place.

Personally, I'm pretty ashamed that in Texas--the most pro-gun state in America--there wasn't a CHL holder nearby to take that MF out. (note: only 6% of adults over 21 in Texas have CHL permits--of which I am one--and I'm guessing maybe half of those carry every day or nearly every day. So maybe it's asking a lot to expect a CHL holder to magically be there at the right time. But still)

Thoughts? Whether you're pro-2nd amendment or you absolutely despise guns, let's talk about it.

(Confession--I love controversial topics and to some extent am intentionally stirring the pot here. I love a good debate)

Ju@n and MLMVSS like this.
  2. Infrasapiens

Infrasapiens Fapstronaut

I hate guns, but contrary to what most people who share my opinion may think, guns do not kill, it is the people that kills.

It has more to do with the state of the society's sanity. I do not live in the U.S but as an outsider, I've seen how it has a "You can stomp over everyone as long you have enough power" culture. And what power is better than to decide who lives and who dies? You only need to go to the local gun store.

Seeing how many shootings have been this year, it seems to me that people there are bound to snap and go ballistic at any moment.

I would say "Ban guns" but then probably people would just look for something else to kill each others with.

3. I definitely think the root issue is with the culture in my country. I don’t think it’s the “You can stomp over everyone as long has you have enough power” but more the “look at me; pay attention to me” narcissism that’s so prevalent amongst the majority of people nowadays. Anyone ever notice how mass shootings start popping up the moment gun debates start getting news coverage again? These lunatics say “oh, the spotlight is on guns again. Time to get my 15 minutes of fame”. Every social media platform has helped propel this attitude into the mainstream with look at my 1,000th selfie, ready my opinion on my millionth tweet, Heart my pictures on Instagram, etc etc etc.

These people kill for attention and short lived fame.

4. Civilians should never own functional guns. period.

If the ban would save just one innocent human life, it would be worth it and it will save a life if the US would just use some common sense. Unbelievable how such a civilized country would rather train teachers how to handle guns instead of illegalizing weapons. That is just asking for it. If these psychos can't attack a school they'll just attack a mall. As others have said it's probably the distance and the impersonal aspect of guns that are favorable in the minds of these monsters. A knife would require a very short range which may discourage at least some of those cowards.

Deleted Account likes this.
  5. cadia guardsman

cadia guardsman Fapstronaut

We all have guns since we birth ( unless someone births with no hands)

6. Infrasapiens

Infrasapiens Fapstronaut

Of course, but the mentality of killing others would still be there, it still makes the situation better though.

7. Hros

Hros Fapstronaut

It's different in the US, but over in my country it's good that there also civilians walking around with weapons to stop terrorists.

8. But what is there to talk about? Evil exists, and there's not much we can do to stomp out evil when it's like a hydra- cut off a head another will appear (or 3, depends if you include the Hercules hydra).
    Anyway, I'm pro-2nd, but it frustrates me that the finger of blame is pointed at me by people taking advantage of this horror.

Ju@n likes this.
  9. MLMVSS

MLMVSS Fapstronaut

Just go to the typical US city with strict gun laws and 20 people dying is a typical Friday night. It’s like criminals don’t care about breaking laws.

SuperFan likes this.
  10. Watanabe

Watanabe Fapstronaut

People are too stupid or unable to control their emotions at challenging times in their lives, I include myself in both of these observations, this is why I'm glad I don't live in a country where gun ownership is prevalent.

11. brilliantidiot

brilliantidiot Fapstronaut

12. MLMVSS

MLMVSS Fapstronaut

I also find it funny how the same people who cry about the USA operating concentration camps for illegals, are absolutely willing to give up their weapons to the same government.

13. EXPONENTIALLY

EXPONENTIALLY Fapstronaut

I believe in the right to bear arms and protect yourself.

Switzerland citizen must be armed (usually 1 riffle and 1 hand gun), Switzerland is probably the country with the LOWEST rate of criminality.

Any crime an individual commit is charge only to that particular individual. Otherwise, "let's ban school buses as well since school buses may crash and kill kids every year"...or let the school bus driver reap his own retribution, instead of restricting the liberty of everybody regardless of their own ability and skills. And also let's promote biblical homeschooling rather than hazardous public indoctrination.

COMMUNISM is a blood-thirsty religion of the devil. "To conquer a nation, disarm its citizen" - Adolf Hitler

Ju@n and MLMVSS like this.
  14. Trancespotter

Trancespotter Fapstronaut

How is the coaching going?

15. EXPONENTIALLY

Cool & fun, let me know

16. EXPONENTIALLY

What about DEFENDING someone, or even Home Décor, collection, history, confidence ?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
    brilliantidiot and MLMVSS like this.
  17. Hros

Hros Fapstronaut

This is a good point. Anti-gun lobbyists "wake up" generally right after shootings. Not saying they're right, but where are they in-between shootings?

18. brilliantidiot

brilliantidiot Fapstronaut

People that are intent on mass shooting for one reason or another will still get assault rifles on the black market. The only difference will be that the other people have no defense.

LEPAGE and Coffee Candy like this.
  19. SuperFan

SuperFan Fapstronaut

Well, this is a pretty bad argument. Here, I'll use the same argument in favor of my view:

"If allowing civilians to have guns would save just one innocent human life, it would be worth it."

Guns are tools. They have good, noble uses (like self-defense and defending others) and nefarious purposes (like murdering innocent people). If you could magically snap your fingers and make all guns in America instantly disappear, then how will a 120-lb woman defend herself from a 250-lb male attacker? How will a 60-year old man defend himself from six teens who want to beat the hell out of him and get it on video to show their other gang member friends? How much more incentive will you give thieves to break into homes, knowing that they won't face any firearms? You act as if banning guns would have only positive effects and no negative ones.

The fundamental problem with "make those guns illegal" is that it suggests that a criminal undeterred by laws against murder will somehow be deterred by a law against guns.

20. SuperFan

SuperFan Fapstronaut

One of the comments I hate is when people say, "you don't NEED a firearm / AR-15 / 30 bullets / 15 bullets / etc. to defend yourself."

First off, I'll decide what I need to defend myself, thanks very much.

Secondly, firearms are precautionary measures. Virtually no one needs them ... but we have them in case of rare and life-threatening circumstances in which we WOULD need them. As Clarence said in True Romance, "I'd rather have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have it."

Imagine if someone said, "you don't need to wear a seatbelt." Technically, they'd be right. But we wear them in case of the rare circumstance that finds us in a collision.

PeterJL, Ju@n and Hros like this.