1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Anybody else not excited about the presidential election?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Sep 18, 2019.

1. Trump didn't do that. That's my point.

Is there really a need to be condescending and talk down to me? No, there isn't.

I do understand politics, and I never claimed anyone needed to "get it all done." You're hyperbolizing my point of view to attack a strawman that I never said and has nothing to do with what I said. Thereby saying absolutely nothing of any value. Nobody was talking about Obama. I didn't even vote for Obama. And nobody said Trump is a failure if he doesn't completely and singlehandedly abolish abortion. So... congrats on refuting a bunch of meaningless statements nobody was even talking about, I guess, instead of actually addressing my point.

Deleted Account and need4realchg like this.
  2. Dude, that was literally my entire point. My entire first comment here was saying that I don't know if I'm even going to vote, because I realize that at this point, my choice is between Trump and a Democrat. I understand how politics work. I don't know why you think you need to explain that to me. And then basically rephrase my first comment here and say it back to me as if you are teaching me something... I obviously understood that already. Since I said it.

Obviously I understand that Trump being president will be better for my pro-life views than a Democrat. I already stated that several times, before you even said anything. But then you started making claims as if Trump cares about abortion and has done so much to stop it, and I'm calling bullshit on that. That's it. I already said my piece about voting in the upcoming election. My response to you had nothing to do with that. I'm just refuting any kind of claim that Trump has done anything to help unborn babies, or that he gives a crap about them at all.

Deleted Account likes this.
  3. Themadfapper

Themadfapper Fapstronaut

Both parties are paid for by the same people. There are only superficial differences, they both literally have the same backers as far as I know? They are both paid for by corporations and Billionaires.

need4realchg likes this.
  4. brilliantidiot

brilliantidiot Fapstronaut

Excerpt from the link: "The Planned Parenthood abortion business announced today it will officially withdraw from the Title X program — costing it $60 million in taxpayer funds because it refuses to follow a new Trump administration rule that requires it to segment out its abortion business from legitimate health care if it wants federal funding under the program."

Who would you say did do it then? Republican majority?

The thing is that Trump is a republican. I'm saying I vote for what he stands for, not his personal beliefs.
    Never said that. I said he cares about the votes of people who do and will act on that for the sake of getting their votes.

5. I'm not gonna argue about it anymore. I stand by everything I've said. Trump doesn't care about abortion at all. Anything that had happened in relation to abortion has nothing to do with Trump. I'm not going to give him a pat on the back for doing something purely for his own ego and popularity. And my main issue with him is that he cares way too much about immigration and not at all about abortion, which yo me is a much bigger issue. So sure, planned Parenthood lost some money. Woop-dee-doo. That means very little. I want a president who makes that their mission, not one who is so hell bent on keeping foreigners off our land.

And again, I realize I'm not going to get that this election. Hence my original response.

6. If Republicans up and decided they were fine with abortion, I fully believe Trump would not give one single shit. He would be like okay, cool, one less thing to distract us from keeping all the brown people out of our country. He doesn't care about abortion at all, so no, I'm not going to agree that he's responsible for planned parenthood losing money.

7. brilliantidiot

That's so illogical. Can you not understand he wants to please the pro-lifers and get their votes? The reason he wants to get rid of abortion is to get votes. But so what, if he actually makes progress (which he is doing)? I don't care about his motives, I care about results.

I gave you a fact:
    And you say that must not be true because he doesn't care about abortion personally? Can you not see that he cares about it because his voters care about it?
    I'm not asking you to.
    60 million is a heck of a lot of money.

Have a good day then :)

8. I've already told you several times that his "progress" in that area is nothing. I don't deny the fact you presented. I'm simply saying that I think that's hardly any progress at all compared to what it could be if he actually cared. I don't understand why that's hard to grasp. I'm not going to keep going back and forth while you act like I'm being illogical and denying facts. I'm not.

Are you serious? I never freaking said that it wasnt true. I'm not an idiot. I said that that so called "progress" is not that big of a deal at all, and I also said that I don't think Trump had anything to do with it. If you honestly think the president is personally responsible for every little thing that happens in government, then I'm not the one who doesn't understand politics.

If you think that's actually going to make a difference in the fight against abortion, you need to do a lot more research on the subject. I'm not saying it's not good. It's a good start I guess. But again, I don't believe Trump had jack shit to do with it. I don't think he cares about what his voters care about. He cares about his own agenda, and people will still vote for him regardless of whether or not he focuses on abortion, so why would he?

Look, I don't care what you think. I do not believe Trump gives a crap about abortion, and I don't believe he is at all responsible for defunding PP. Not directly, at least. So I don't see the point in this discussion. You clearly don't agree, and we'll have to leave it at that.

9. brilliantidiot

Ok fair enough. I'm not pretending to know how much progress he could have made of he actually cared. What do you think he could have done (this is not a rhetorical question, just asking)?
    You literally just said that:
    Maybe you didn't mean it that way or maybe I am misunderstanding what you mean.

I agree that 60 million is a good start.
    He definitely cares about his voters. My best proof is him talking in the last couple of rallies about how every baby is a God-given gift (I can give you the video if you need it).

Have a nice day.

Get_It likes this.
  10. Yes, you obviously are misunderstanding and don't understand what I'm saying at all. Idk how else to explain it, so I'm not going to try. Why would I deny an outright fact? I'm not stupid. I'm not denying the fact that planned parenthood has lost funding. That's obviously true. Nowhere in those quoted posts did I say that wasn't true.

I'm not going to get into that. It's off topic and I don't have any interest in having that conversation.

11. brilliantidiot

But are you denying the fact that it was due to the Trump administration?
    You made a claim that another republican who cared could have done more. But ok.

Get_It likes this.
  12. Get_It

Get_It Fapstronaut

A Trump hater will do everything they can to not give Trump credit for anything. Which is why his reelection will be even sweeter because they'll be seething.

brilliantidiot likes this.
  13. *sigh* I don't know how many times I have to say this, or why you don't get it. I am denying that TRUMP had anything to do with that. Meaning, as I've already said a million times, Trump doesn't give s crap about abortion. This change was due to the fact that Republicans are in power. Not Trump himself. It's not like Trump was out there rallying for this to happen. I don't understand why you don't get the distinction. There's a clear distinction. Even saying "the Trump administration" is different than saying "Trump." It's not hard to understand. Idk how else to say it if you still don't understand, and I'm really tired of going back and forth saying the same thing over and over.

Yep, I did, and they could. Just because I don't want to open that can of worms doesn't mean it isn't true.

And I meant that it's off topic to the OP's post. We arent even talking about this upcoming election anymore if we're going to get into hypothetical situations that other Republicans could accomplish.

14. And Trump lovers do the exact same thing. They give him credit for freaking everything under the sun, even when he had nothing to do with it.

Also, I give plenty of credit to Trump when he does something right. And I've done so publicly, despite tons of people I know hating his guts and probably disliking me for saying anything positive about him. You don't know me. So if that post was directed at me, it's stupid. I'm not even a "Trump hater." I don't like the guy, but I'm not into the idiotic party war either.

15. Get_It

Get_It Fapstronaut

It wasn't directed to you personally, but it may apply in this case because your anti-Trump vitriole is pretty apparent. I don't worship Trump, I was formerly very leftist in my beliefs not too long ago, but I can no longer go on with the Trump derangement syndrome from many on the left. I also don't care much for the partisan war.

16. Lol "anti-trump vitrol"? Seems extreme. I don't like the guy. He's done a lot of unlikable things. That seems pretty reasonable to me. Definitely has nothing to do with any kind of partisan war, as I identify more with Republican views than Democratic on most issues.

But okay. Glad to know we're on the same page here though:

17. brilliantidiot

So you think Trump has nothing to do with the Trump administration? Ok.

Can we just agree that it was not all Trumps doing, nor did he have nothing to do with it? I don't think he deserves all the credit, but I think its going a little far to say he has ZERO to do with planned parenthood's loss of 60 million.

18. I suppose I can agree with that, but I still stand by everything I've said. Trump does not care about that at all. So no, I honestly don't think it had anything to do with him, other than him saying "sure, whatever, give the people what they want." From my perspective, that doesn't count as this being his doing.

I really don't get why what I'm saying is hard to understand. You're boiling this down to being very simplistic, and it's not. It's incredibly nuanced. I would not say that Trump was at all responsible for defunding planned parenthood, when his amount of involvement in the issue was likely "yeah, sure, do whatever you want." That doesn't count to me. And honestly, this whole arguement is pointless anyway, because my point in the first place was that Trump doesn't get a pat on the back for doing the bare minimum, when any other Republican candidate who actually does care about abortion would be doing so much more. That's just true. So my overall point remains the same regardless. You're nitpicking on a tiny aspect of what I'm saying, because you have a different definition if what it means to be "responsible" for something. I would not agree that Trump is, in any way, "responsible" for defunding planned parenthood. I'm not going to say I agree with that when I don't. I don't think his involvement in that decision went beyond indifference, and that doesn't count to me as being responsible for the decision. It counts as allowing it to happen. Sure, Trump allowed that to happen, which obviously a Democratic President would not. I'll give him that. But again, I don't think it's because he actually cares about it. I think it's because he knows his voters care, like you said, and he doesn't really care one way or the other.

Which honestly, I think makes him even worse than people fighting for abortion. Because at least those people think they are fighting for women's rights or something. Someone who is indifferent to it neither cares about babies being murdered, nor about women's rights. That's a big issue to me, so I'm not going to sit here and pretend I think Trump is awesome for allowing Planned Parenthood to lose some money. I just don't.

If you disagree, that's fine, but I'm not going to agree any further on this. I've made my position clear.

19. This whole discussion boils down to the fact that we have a huge difference in opinion on what the words "responsible for" mean. I do not agree that Trump is in any way responsible for defunding PP. Perhaps I shouldn't have said "he had nothing to do with it." What I meant by that was that he was not responsible for it, and if his voters weren't pushing for it, there's no way he would have done anything about it, because he doesn't care about it. So whether or not he "had anything to do with it" really doesn't mean anything to me. It doesn't make me think any more highly of him as a person or as a president.

brilliantidiot likes this.
  20. brilliantidiot

Ok. I care more about the results and less about the means (ie, whether he personally cares or not), and I guess you are the opposite. Well, at least we know we disagree. Have a nice day! :)