1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Formulating a practice pathway for Buddhists to maintain celibacy / Brahmacharya

A group for Buddhist Fapstronauts to connect.

1. As a Buddhist so far there is not a specific Buddhist book written on Brahmacharya (celibate life) by any Buddhist authors. So far all the books I have come across come from Hindu sources.

I have a plan to read books and articles on Brahmacharya. I have collected several of them. I hope to go through them one by one and make short notes. Then later I hope to summarise and streamline all of the content where it is presented in the best possible way for Buddhists.

As I mentioned earlier a lot of the content I have come across are from Hindu sources, so part of the selection of content within these texts also include omitting aspects which are inconsistent with Buddhism (such as the Hindu view of self and Hindu view of God - with all due respect to Hinduism).

I hope to include whatever the content which would aid in the practice of Brahmacharya for Buddhists and I will only include aspects which dont contradict Buddhist teachings (to the best of my knowledge).

I cant really say when I will finish this but when I do I hope to present this summarised content in here so that all Buddhists in here who wish to make use out of that can do so.

I wonder if there can be a way where searches can be run on Buddhist texts which are in databases where aspects relevant to celibacy / Brahmacharya can be taken and presented in one single document. This will be of immense benefit.

I want to get ideas from all of you on how we can all achieve this. Please feel free to throw in all sort of ideas no matter how ridiculous they may appear.

Till then here is some advice which I came across in a Buddhist article which makes reference to the Samyutta Nikaya.

The Samyutta Nikàya suggests three strategies that those committed to celibacy can use to deal with sexual desire.

1. One is to think of and try to imagine the unpleasant aspects of the body.

2. Another is `to guard the doors of the senses' (indriya saüvara), i.e. to consciously avoid encounters that are likely to arouse sensual desire and to be very aware of sensory impingement.

3. The third and most interesting way is to develop what is called the `mother mind', the `sister mind' or the `daughter mind' (màtucitta, bhaginãcitta, dhãtucitta). This refers to trying to think about and relate to any female, according to her age, as if she were one's mother, one's sister or one's daughter (S.IV,110-12). Women could, of course, develop the `father mind', `brother mind' or `son mind'.

2. Onigiri

Onigiri Fapstronaut

Hi!
    Maybe this video could help

Paranimmita likes this.
  3. very good Onigiri, We have gather all resources to do with Buddhist celibacy/brahmacharya. Use every lock, stock and barrel against the defilement of lust.