1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

What to do when you're dying of stresssssssssssss

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Anne-Dauphine, May 7, 2015.

1. Hey everybody,

I am opening my first exhibition today at 6pm and it's 11am30, I'm running a half-marathon completely unprepared Sunday, my dad is coming Friday afternoon and I have lots of trouble getting along with him, I'm really super in a bad place for school with loads of deadlines, and a lot of people I am a fan of are having huge stuff happening today or in the next days. To put it in other words, I'm dying of stress, my stomach terribly hurts, my skin is a battleground, I am completely unable to move or do the actual things that would help me get less stressed, my level of excitement is greater than I ever thought it would be possible to be, I am despaired and I fear that I self-harm again just out of relief.

So can anyone give me his favourite tips to relieve stress? I just took a shower and it didn't help, I probably will try to pray, I haven't ate yet because my stomach hurts too bad, I will love you until the end of time if you say anything remotely helpful.

2. Thank you I think I get what you mean... So basically dissecting things to do in very small tasks and accomplish them one by one? I've already rescheduled my personal tutorial tomorrow but it's actually bringing more stress because I'll have to do it on Skype and I can't log into my school Moodle argh

3. Maybe you should focus on your school work for now and skip the half-marathon. I know you have been dreaming about running the marathon, but you might injure yourself if you are not properly trained.

4. I'm actually doing my bilbiography right now (by the way, anyone knows how much cites I'm supposed to source for a 1500 words research plan for a dissertation?) so I think it's going to be ok, I'll need to print it ASAP though, my two issues with the half-m is that my PARENTS paid 47 POUNDS which is like much much more euros for it and psychologically it's nausea-inducing for me to think this money will be spilled, I know I'm supposed to walk like 1h30 the day after for school but I don't know, I can't imagine not doing it, it's only 21km right, I can do it in the worst case by walking 5h... I walk a lot, it's the running part that's stressing me... And you're right the injury risk is crippling me

5. YiboW

YiboW Fapstronaut

Hey Anne,

Wow, I don't know about you but reading all of this advice is actually getting me stressed since I don't know what advice works anymore.

I definitely understand how you feel. I'm a 17 year old highschool student. A few months back, I was overwhelmed with homework from my AP classes, debate tournaments and college applications to work on.

Here's a 3 min solution that worked for me and may work you. Download a free app from the app store called Stop Breathe and Think.
    Listen to a 3 min guided meditation called Mindful Breathing. It teaches you to close your eyes, put your hands on your knees, and take slow breaths. You let go of all your problems and find peace within yourself.

My theory is that stress is caused when we try to control things we can't control in life instead of living life in the moment - breathe by breathe.

We have this cognitive dissonance where one side of our mind is not able to accept the negatives if we fail and another part is telling us we have no control of it in the present moment.

In the end, you can read all the advice on this forum but as Emerson said, "The only person who can bring you peace is yourself", which is a lot easier said than done.

I hope to God this helps and I'll be praying for you.

Yours,
    Yibo

Last edited: May 7, 2015
    sir fappanot and DannyCool like this.
  6. @YiboW I'm sorry dude stressing you was nowhere near my intentions! I definitely will download this app, seems awesome, thank you for pointing it out!

Actually I have to go for my exhibition opening now, I think I will feel better in a few hours when it will all be done. I'm just so self-conscious about my friends' talents. I will answer only tonight I'm sorry thank you for all your answers stay strong!

YiboW likes this.
  7. You might try speed-walking in the marathon:

I went to college with a girl who was on the American Olympic speed-waling team.

Anne-Dauphine likes this.
  8. You might try speed-walking in the marathon:

I went to college with a girl who was on the American Olympic speed-waling team.

9. definitelySerious

definitelySerious Fapstronaut

Hey @Anne-Dauphine how did you end up going? Dealing with stress takes a long time to learn and it seems as though it just keeps leveling up! As @YiboW says above, breathing is super important. I live and work in particularly stressful situations at the moment with intensity lasting for months. my personal trainer, who takes a very holistic approach, simply wanted me to do 20 seconds of slow deep breathing twice a day whilst at work. I find even this hard to do, but breathing, like meditation, pulls us out of our brains and drops us back into our bodies which is what we so desperately need. The problem is that the more stressed we get, the less likely we are to do the things to help ourselves! I struggle with picking and rumination also.... Be kind to yourself :)

10. @StuA well right now I'm out of my mind with ecstasy (the emotion not the drug) and so I'm not stressed... Yesterday I just ended up getting smashed drunk which is not good but definitely helped a lot :/ I actually use breathing technics to fall asleep now, really different from other breathing technics I've been trying and it works wonders. Managed to force myself to fall asleep at 3am this morning while being at the absolute peak of excitement of at least the three last years and it does my mood incredibly good. Thank you so so much for your input!

definitelySerious and Picfiend like this.
  11. Meditate and exercise. Also get out into nature will get rid of stress.

12. transmute

transmute Fapstronaut

There is no better advice than this. If you feel like your stress is so great and you are doing all these things NotJoe advises, might I then suggest taking a look into the art of tea and dabbling with augmenting your diet with wonder supplements and taking up an herbal regimen with various herbs, whatever suits your fancy from TCM or ayurveda. I swear by flower teas (whole flower not bagged shit) like rose and hibiscus and chrysanthemum, and schisandra to kill stress, I also meditate, workout, and train qi gong and kung fu daily. My job is so stressful though and I will not eliminate stress completely until I am able to pursue my dream career, or get a better job lol.

13. Thank you guys! I always end up realizing it was extremely stupid to stress ha. Everything I had planned and that terrified me is going absolutely brilliant so far.