1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Help me to be apolitical.

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Hadrian3, Jul 10, 2020.

1. Hadrian3

Hadrian3 Fapstronaut

Hi,
    I really want to detach myself from political stuff, like political news and tweets. If I want to read them It gets addicting and waste much of my time. Also, It makes me feel very sad and angry when I read them.

So, I actually did it for a few months and It felt very good. But I kinda relapsed for a few weeks.
    I threw them away again for now, But I fear something happen and I relapse again. How can I be more successful and prevent myself from relapsing?

Ghost in the Shell likes this.
  2. brilliantidiot

brilliantidiot Fapstronaut

3. fredisthebes

fredisthebes Fapstronaut

Similar to my answer in the 'news junkie' thread. I recommend replacing your news consumption with a daily non-fiction reading practice.
    (n.b. reading fiction is definitely excellent and recommended for all sorts of reasons, but non-fiction will satisfy your desire for information/news/etc).

There is nothing wrong with an interest in politics or political theory/history, but you need to go deeper than twitter squabbles and whatever is currently fashionable to get a real understanding. The 'news' is worthless, and so is internet arguments, just a time waste.

4. Hadrian3

Hadrian3 Fapstronaut

Long done bro. I've done these sort of things. But sometimes my emotions/urges make me read news/tweets.

brilliantidiot likes this.
  5. Political stuff is mostly "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" or "the friend of my enemy is my enemy".

The truth is that both sides (because there are usually only two sides represented) have valid points and both sides talk a load of crap, usually.

If you keep that in mind it might make it easier to ignore.

Hadrian3 likes this.
  6. Hadrian3

Hadrian3 Fapstronaut

That also I did. Actually I made a strong habit out of reading. Especially novels. It is very enjoyable and also rewarding. Quite contrary to the news/tweets.

Aye, Totally agree. Actually I am doing this now. I am reading a book about history of Britain and it's informative and deep. So, I like to study about such things.

7. Hadrian3

Hadrian3 Fapstronaut

I meant this kind of advice when I opened the thread (some more logical reason to persuade myself).

I have never been biased that much and I know right and left say/do wrong things.

I am actually from Iran. There is a bunch of clerics overtook this country and are literally making it uninhabitable. Hot bad/good news everyday. etc.
    So, I can see there are cavemen evils in one side and regular anti-clerical politicians/people in one side. That's a bit more difficult to be unbiased and ignore.

I say, If I can't help or do anything and if it makes me very sad and takes much of my time, Why should I read these things?

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
    Ghost in the Shell likes this.
  8. That's the main thing really isn't it?

I remember hearing something about how in Italy a few years ago, someone heard wailing and crying coming from an apartment where an old couple lived, so the person called the police. It turned out they were lonely, which is sad, but the reason for their wailing was largely because they were watching the news and it was all depressing stuff!

I've noticed how a lot of old people are constantly watching or listening to the news and I wonder how it doesn't drive them mad.

Hadrian3 likes this.
  9. The Shah sucked too, didn't he?

10. Hadrian3

Hadrian3 Fapstronaut

Yes, But sometimes I just can't help it. It must be enough, Except I was in the forum websites for a long time and I've had countless arguments on politics. I've followed this like a tv series. Now it came to its hot episodes. Hard to make myself free of it.

I used to think like that when I was younger. But, He was really good. At least he was patriot. He made a very bad mistake on limiting political freedom though. Oppressing liberal/nationalist groups and letting authoritarian Communist/Islamic groups be. He was too good to clerics.

Much of the things they said to us about Shah is lie. He was good. His son is very popular here you know.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
  11. If you like history, there are plenty of history-related podcasts and things like that out there.

Hadrian3 likes this.