1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Offtopic: Do you feel bad for killing flies?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Pureheart, Jun 8, 2015.

1. Pureheart

Pureheart Fapstronaut

This is a serious question.
    I don´t start crying when I kill one but it just doesn´t sit well with me.
    Even if they are little, irritating and "insignificant" - they don´t do anything to me and they are no threat to me in any way.

Of course I have killed dozens of flies so far in my life, but somehow I feel it is wrong to kill them, thats why I try to catch them and release them outside.

But don´t get me wrong - for example mosquitos will get killed by me because they suck my blood and pose a potential health threat as they transfer illnesses and leave itching, inflamed marks.

It may sound like a childish question but I wonder wether I am they only one thinking in such a way

Knight Solaire likes this.
  2. I try to capture them and put them outside.

Kenji and Pureheart like this.
  3. *****

***** Fapstronaut

No.
    This question doesn't make sense unless you are a vegetarian and I am not.
    If you are a vegetarian then you shouldn't do that.

4. DudeFromAfrica

DudeFromAfrica Fapstronaut

Lol this about as off topic as you can get haha :D

I don't really care about flies since they rarely bother me for whatever reason, only get like one or two in the house a year, but I do that with spiders in the house, always trap them and take them outside. Same with mosquitoes, they must just die.

NoBrainer and Pureheart like this.
  5. Pureheart

Pureheart Fapstronaut

Well I am no vegeterian, I eat fish and once a month a good steak.
    Meaning I restrict the amount of meat I eat because I don´t want to kill for gluttony.
    Of course, if I was alone in a forest with nothing on me and it would be a question of survival I would even eat bambi.
    But killing something just because I am irritated is wrong in my eyes.
    I condemn none who kill flies or eat pounds of meat every day but for me, it is wrong.
    It isn´t a question of being vegeterian it´s a question about respecting life or taking it as one pleases (in the case of flies)

6. Pureheart

Pureheart Fapstronaut

7. *****

***** Fapstronaut

It depends on your morals in life.If it makes you feel guilty , don't do it.

Knight Solaire likes this.
  8. Kenji

Kenji Guest

Same, as with all insects. I don't intentionally kill any creatures, except for demonic predator like entities that cannot be seen by most people, hahaha jk, even those beasts can be transformed with love.

9. FreddyNoFap

FreddyNoFap Fapstronaut

Sorry guys, part of my job is to kill Flys (wait that rhymes, weird) we get cluster Flys where I live and they literally get to plague proportions.

I have stood in the middle of a fly vortex whilst spraying them with insecticide. In the meantime there blocking up the air intake on my spray unit and trying to wiggle there ass's in to my protective clothing. I must admit I was impressed.

Do I feel bad? Um.. No not really, what concerns me more is the effect such sprays may have on more beneficial and important insects like Bees.

10. Pureheart

Pureheart Fapstronaut

Nobody blames you, if they become harmful, they must be taken care of. Believe it or not flies are very important insect - they provide food for many others.

11. FreddyNoFap

FreddyNoFap Fapstronaut

Yes your right Flys are important, they also play a key role in braking down decaying organic matter. There like nature's clean up crew. Every thing on this beautiful planet is here for a reason.

The problem that we have here with this type fly is actually a result of man made interference. They were mistakenly introduced, and they also seem to get out of control where certain sprays may or may not be used.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
    KeenEye likes this.
  12. himmelstoss

himmelstoss Fapstronaut

if it has more than 4 legs kill it

13. Pureheart

Pureheart Fapstronaut

14. himmelstoss

himmelstoss Fapstronaut

Because they're annoying and buzz around and I don't want them near my food. If it makes you feel better they're also the closest thing nature made to robots.

15. Knight Solaire

Knight Solaire Fapstronaut

There is an anime called Parasyte that touches on the whole "weaker organisms are prey, stronger are predator" way of thinking most humans live by. It really shows what it would be like if humans were the weaker organisms.

What if humans were a miniscule insect compared to many other creatures? No one ever thinks of this.

HippyMinstrel likes this.
  16. wildwood

wildwood Fapstronaut

I just try to catch them in a cup and set them out side, that includes any insect or spider really.

17. I saved a fly today!

That sounds really interesting. I think Attack on Titan also touches on this.

Pureheart and wildwood like this.
  18. Pureheart

Pureheart Fapstronaut

@Sun Bro it is called Parasyte the Maxim. It is a pretty crazy anime, but yeah it gives some thougts.

But as contrary to the anime, we are most likely not in life-death situations with flies.

@himmelstoss Well, as I said before I do not want to point my finger or blame anyone, you are free to do what you want, but killing them "because they annoy me and buzz around" is a pretty awful reason.
    With food, I can understand, nobody gets an appetite when flies are there.
    Still robot or not, I also don´t go and trample on flowers because I don´t like their smell and they can´t think .

19. Some places it would be impossible to eat if you didn't eat when flies were about. Just wave them away. They're harmless.

20. depo27

depo27 Fapstronaut

I just ignore them. But I could kill them, it's just an insect. Frogs eat flies, I don't think they feel bad about it...

***** likes this.