1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Building Muscle Mass?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Bluffy, Jun 10, 2015.

1. Bluffy

Bluffy Fapstronaut

Okay so today is day 1 for me again and I wanted to start working out because I heard you can gain muscle faster while on nofap. So let me start off by saying that I am pretty skinny and have been wanting to gain weight so I can be stronger in basketball. How long should it take to see strength improvement and more muscle mass off of just pushups and situps? I don't have a ride to the gym ever and also I don't wanna be that one skinny kid at the gym that everyone staires at... also, any other exersizes I can do to increase muscle strength and mass in a short period of time? I want to come back to school next year a better version of myself(which includes being stronger) Any suggestions are welcome :)

Kenji likes this.
  2. Kenji

Kenji Guest

www.veganbodybuilding.com
    www.nomeatathlete.com
    www.gymnasticbodies.com
    http://thefrankmedrano.com

3 months is the general chunk of time for visible results to show. Every 3 months or so a very noticeable increase should show if you are consistent and train effectively.

You're 16 dude. Who cares how skinny you look at the gym. When I was skinny and 18 and picking up dumbbells at the gym this guy the size of a dude on the cover of Iron Man walks over to me, tells me to put them down, and explained to me I should just be doing dips, pushups and pullups until I put on a little mass, as that will truly fill out your frame most effectively if you are skinny, and then you can stack on the mass with weights as your entire upper body has been 'primed' for it. Just a little tip, it will payoff tenfold when you start lifting weights.

Don't forget your lower body, I recommend squats, sprints, pistol squats, horse stance, maybe some frog jumps and lunges along with your upper body bodyweight exercises at home.

Motivation for ya, I'm a bodyweight enthusiast myself although I do harness the beast essence with compound weight exercises. You should get into Olympic style lifting if you want results fast kid,

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2015
  3. Powerof3

Powerof3 Fapstronaut

I've been doing calisthenics every day since January and I haven't seen a large increase in mass. I have gained 3Kg but mostly my muscles have just become more toned. If you want to build mass then weights are probably your best bet.

4. carlo13

carlo13 Fapstronaut

@Bluffy so can you go to gym or no?

5. JethroTull

JethroTull Fapstronaut

Great thread!

I'm a strong believer that knowing your body type will help. If you're really skinny and want to increase mass, you'll need to eat more. More carbs and definitely more protein.

The other thing is how you work out. Calisthenics will give you awesome Bruce Lee like muscles and fantastic strength (this strength is more to do with your nervous system than specifically your muscle mass). However muscle isolation with weights is more likely to force your body to get bigger (hypertrophy). You can do, say three sets of whatever weight you can do of 8-12 and gradually increase the weight over time. There are also drop sets - they work nicely. It's worth googling around! Lots of differing opinions. But most people agree that adequate rest is crucial.

Good luck!!

goodnice 2.0 likes this.
  6. Flossy Carter

Flossy Carter Fapstronaut

From your description
    I say that you're an ectomorph (Tall, skinny, small frame, low body fat)
    Eat a lot of carbs and protein and as for working out
    I recommend looking for beginner workout programs on bodybuilding.com

JethroTull likes this.
  7. Bluffy

Bluffy Fapstronaut

Skinny but not tall. Like 5'9. And I weigh only like 125 pounds....

8. Express yourself

Express yourself Fapstronaut

I've been skinny my whole life. Weighing only 150 pounds at 6ft1. About a year ago I got serious about changing this. I felt the same way as u do about the gym so I started working out at home. I started with body weight exercises and bought my self a pull up bar. I started to put on some muscle reasonably quick. Then I purchased a bench and some Dumbbells so I could do bench pressing, seated shoulder pressing, Flying V and dumbbell squats. I'm now 175lbs and and look a hell of a lot better for it. Also don't forget how important your diet is. To put on mass u have to eat,eat and eat. Try and eat loads of high protein foods and decent carbohydrates aswell.
    Good luck to ya

9. Temujin

Temujin Guest

Personally i would recommend calisthenics and bodyweight.

Most of the women i know who i have asked prefer the Bruce Lee to the Arnold Schwarzenegger. Though i'm sure there will be some women who say the opposite.

10. bottomofthepit

bottomofthepit Fapstronaut

I doubt that NoFap will make you gain muscle mass any faster. It's not easy to get "big." There are few if any shortcuts, and those aren't really short in the conventional sense. The best way to gain mass is probably going to be a lifting program combined with a general workout. Target different muscle groups on different days throughout the week during your workout, and over time with increases in weight you will see an increase in muscle mass.

It's not going to be quick, so get started now!

11. Flossy Carter

Flossy Carter Fapstronaut

Just like bottomofthepit said
    Masturbation doesn't affect your "gains" but abstaining from masturbating will give you more energy and be more active and have better sleep which is crucial if you want to build muscle .
    It ain't gonna be quick (Depending on genetics) but it is damn worth it