1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Dealing with self worth stemming from high school guilt

Discussion in 'Loneliness' started by gaccts82, Aug 22, 2020.

1. gaccts82

gaccts82 Fapstronaut

I have been struggling with finding happiness in my life. I feel like I didn't live my life to its fullest potential.

I became very antisocial in high school. I didn't do much with other people. I would have "friends" at school but I didn't hang out with anyone outside of it. During middle school I had always cared so much about what other people thought of me. When I went to high school, I started not giving a shit about what other people thought. You might think this was a good thing, but it set me up for the position I am in now.

I don't know what happened, but I started to want to hang out with people. I wanted to get into this group that was "cool". I tried to "infiltrate" into the group, but I quickly realized that I wasn't "cool" enough. Me being myself wasn't deemed cool. This started to revert me back to my old ways of caring what people thought about me. I began putting walls up and putting a filter back on what I was saying. I used to be funny, saying whatever came into my head wether it was good or not. I began to think all the time about what I said.

In junior year I left school and went to a therapeutic boarding school for depression/drug use/ and other things. It really helped me get my life back on track. However I was not myself while I was there. I was so concerned with being viewed and "tough" and "cool", I was afraid for people to find out about my past life as a loser.

Now I am a sophomore in college. I am still struggling with guilt from high school. I don't feel like I can open up about my high school experience to anyone. I hate when people talk about what they did in high school. I feel like I wasted my experience and time being depressed and isolated. I have friends now, but not a whole lot. I find it very difficult to be myself around new people. I have developed this mask of a chill, maybe slightly boring, background character in social situations. I want to go out and meet people, but I feel like because of the way I was treated in the past, there is some trauma. I feel like I'm not enough because of my past. I want to go back to being a spontaneous speaker, who is good at banter and funny. That part of me feels shut down and suppressed, and every time it pokes out I push it back in fear of it "exposing" me.

I want to feel like I am complete and worthy. It's like I'm on a SeeSaw, there are these negative thoughts on one side and positive thoughts on another. It's balanced equally right now but sometimes swings in one direction. I would love to put all the "weight" on the positive side and push the negative side away. It's so hard to deal with these past thoughts and trauma though.

Akeakua and Kaladin504 like this.
  2. Kaladin504

Kaladin504 Fapstronaut

I'm sorry you feel this way @gaccts82 . In case someone else hasn't told you this, you do not need to earn the inherent worth you have as a human being, and it is not possible to lose it. I have struggled with this myself, often wishing I had done more in high school and college. I also sometimes struggle to talk about some things in my past, but when I have, I have never had someone think less of me because of it. If they do this to you, then they aren't worth your time anyway. We are all created in the Image and likeness of God, and we are all infinitely loved by him, no matter how we may feel. You will be in my prayers.

p.s. Are you currently consulting a professional? It may be worth taking some time to consider.

gaccts82 and ANewFocus like this.
  3. Kaladin504

Kaladin504 Fapstronaut

Also, you're only 19! You've got a ton of potential left! Rather than focusing on your past, look to what you can do now in light of those experiences.

ANewFocus likes this.
  4. ANewFocus

ANewFocus Fapstronaut

My high school was similar and college I experimented and found groups and people to connect with. Had to redo it when I moved cross country for work. You’re 19, you have plenty of time to define, refine, and reinvent yourself.

Kaladin504 likes this.
  5. gaccts82

gaccts82 Fapstronaut

thanks man it feels good to talk about it

6. gaccts82

gaccts82 Fapstronaut

I really appreciate your insight. I am really hard on myself and try to find ways to put myself down all the time. Dont know why I do this :/

Kaladin504 likes this.
  7. ANewFocus

ANewFocus Fapstronaut

I battle that too. I’m reading a liberated mind by Stephen Hayes. Wish I had this book when I was 24 because I wouldn’t have drank away all my problems then fapped away too. It’s really helpful book for negatives self talk. Also read Brene Brown.

8. Angus McGyver

Angus McGyver Fapstronaut

I know this might sounds harsh man but the best service you can do for yourself is to stop dwelling on your past, leave your past behind and start on a brand new chapter instead.
    Not only will you leave much energy-draining garbage behind but you will also feel much better as well (as it saves you much energy and focus to not dwell about it anymore), plus, all people around you will also feel better and more positive the moment you actually cease it. Simply, because people can subconsciously sense and pick up the positive and negative vibrations you give off.

Another thing I have learned and experienced (now when I'm in my early 30's) is that people overall don't care too much about you and your past. The fact is: Fewer people than you think do actually give a s**t at all about your past, especially if you seem like a cool/great dude to be around. I did myself have some very rough High School years with mean, insecure and shallow classmates overall, whose obsession with status, gossip, fake-friends and status didn't appeal me at all. Plus, I had divorcing parents, acne all over my face (looked like a salami almost), braces and oily hair which flushed my confidence and self-esteem down the gutter.
    I did have very few friends during this time and felt like the least desirable person in the world. But, despite those rough and often lonely years (where being an introvert and original is quite challenging) to this day, I am happy that I went through them because they shaped me into a stronger man and learned me so many things I have use of today. If I would tell all my friends, acquaintances and colleagues about my rough High school years, they wouldn't give a s**t since I contribute something great to their lives which is what matters to them today.

The choice is yours, whether you want to be an eternal victim (dwelling on your past forever) and be stuck in life or instead chose to not become one with your past (identify with it), leave it behind and look forward to the great things that are ahead of you. That's what I did a few years ago and my life has only become better since and people couldn't care less about my past, which was actually in no way extremely unique or tragic for the typical teenager/adolescent.

Akeakua, gaccts82 and ANewFocus like this.
  9. gaccts82

gaccts82 Fapstronaut

Crazy what a good book can do to ya. Ill check it out :)

10. gaccts82

gaccts82 Fapstronaut

Great advice man. Thank you so much. There are people in my life that I have opened up to about my past. Not that many... but there are. I took a massive loss recently regarding my relationships. I started talking to this girl over quarantine who went to my boarding school. She was a year younger than me, so she is going into freshman year of college right now. I really liked her, but it turned out she was very toxic. It was very obvious when hanging out with her that she was still in the "highschool" social status popular bullshit mind state and cared about that type of stuff. I wanted to be my authentic self around her because I HAVE actually realized that life feels better that way, even if I slip sometimes and fall back into old ways of thinking. Anyway, I tried to be myself and it kinda backfired in my face and I felt like I wasn't good enough and doubted myself. I was sad about it for a month, and sometimes the emotions that I felt come back. I was certainly feeling that way when I wrote this post. Right now I am feeling better and I met a new girl who is in my grade and we have lots more in common, and I feel like Im not struggling to relate to her. It feels natural. Its still in the back of my mind, regarding my past. I would be lying if I said it didn't make me nervous opening up about it. I think the main thing is that I don't seem like I had a rough past. I come across normal you know? But the truth is my past was messed up and I was seriously alone for most of it. No one would guess that now. I have grown significantly since my junior year of high school. I am no longer alone and I have learned how to make friends and "do social". Whenever we are in a group setting and people start talking about highschool, you know like memories and what not, I kinda shut down because I dont know what to talk about. Another anxiety provoking thing that gets me is the fact that Ive never had a real relationship. I feel behind others and worried that I would be judged for not having a girlfriend. I just have it in my head that there is this "normal track" people are supposed to follow in life, and Im not on that path so that makes me weird? Idk i want to believe that most people arent that judgemental, ive just been very unfortunate to be surrounded by people who do judge in my developmental years and its kinda scarred me a bit.

Akeakua likes this.
  11. Man it is so weird to try to come up with some insight.

I graduated high school back when the telegraph was "cool"

so there's that...

But one thing you will discover that can happen

is that if you decide to leave the past behind,

then that's where it stays.

You can be who you want.

You can be social, antisocial, or flexible to your priorities.

Sometimes you meet someone who acts weird,

throw them away, just be you.

I always struggled with being in or out of different crowds in life.

In high school I was halfway in, and people could tell I worked hard.

But I was "in" when the hot girl started dating me.

Then in college I was in when i rushed a fraternity.

After living in Animal House for a year,

I realized that was for the birds.

Then I moved to a remote part of campus,

and I was definitely an outsider.

And mainly in adulthood I have been an outsider.

So ask yourself this one question:

What does that person or that group have that I need?

What is the cost to be with them or him or her?

Keep in mind to be economical with your time and emotions.

Because when you graduate, you are unlikely to see most of these people again.

12. gaccts82

gaccts82 Fapstronaut

Haha I don't even know what the telegraph is. thanks for the response man :)

13. Angus McGyver

Angus McGyver Fapstronaut

I know exactly what you mean as I have been in that situation myself so many times. But what I have also noticed is that people who are too anxious about what others think and hence follow the track of the mainstream, rarely perform or do something extraordinary during their lives. The fear of stepping out of that track is what will keep them on the rug for years and decades to come. When shallow people judge or question me about something like that my replies are always: "How does that has to do with anything?", "Why would a man with my qualities waste my time and bother with most of today's women?", "Why do you need to do what everyone else is doing? and how does that regular path seem to work out for most people", "Being icy and selective as a man these days are qualities I'm proud of", etc.

I bet that many of the self-made billionaires and successful entrepreneurs out there have had similar issues but didn't sweat it too much as they were too busy building something big instead. And as they did that, money and a huge selection of girlfriends followed in its footsteps. So many men in their 20's these day think get fed the blue-pill and BS-belief that their physical and resource-prime coincide with that of women which isn't true at all.
    Men have their prime way later (it starts at 30 but is usually at a peak between the ages of 35-50) whereas women have theirs much earlier (between 16-30) which is why I advice most men in their 20's to focus on their careers, fitness, friends and hobbies/interests and delay the reward further ahead instead of picking and settling down with a very average Western woman right away who (most likely) won't contribute a lot to that relationship overall.

14. Seriously you have never heard of the telegraph?

They used it in the late 1800s to send morse code.

It was the initial reason the telephone wires were built.