1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Nikola Tesla’s Views on Marriage and Celibacy

Discussion in 'Abstinence, Retention, and Sexual Transmutation' started by modern milarepa, Mar 12, 2021.

1. modern milarepa

modern milarepa Fapstronaut

Nikola Tesla spend much time learning to exert self-control over his will. Once an addicted gambler, he worked hard to rid himself of that destructive desire. Not leaving a trace of desire apparently extended to his views on marriage and celibacy.

The late William H. Terbo (the son of Tesla’s sister’s son) once suggested that “womanizing” may have contributed in part to Tesla never completing his studies in Graz. Yet despite the opinion of a professional palmist, who opined that Tesla’s hand revealed “a flirtatious streak,” Tesla purposefully chose celibacy throughout his life. This did not stop the media of the time (even the technical journals) from urging him to get married—after all, “important people were expected to procreate for the good of the country.” As young science writer and close friend Kenneth Swezey later put it, “Tesla’s only marriage has been to his work and to the world…he believes…that the most enduring works of achievement have come from childless men…” Swezey described Tesla as “an absolute celibate.” Tesla himself claimed that to be a great inventor one must not allow himself to be distracted by love. When asked if he believed in marriage he replied that:

“for an artist, yes; for a musician, yes; for a writer, yes; but for an inventor, no. The first three must gain inspiration from a woman’s influence and be led by their love to finer achievement, but an inventor has so intense a nature with so much in it of wild, passionate quality, that in giving himself to a woman he might love, he would give everything, and so take everything from his chosen field. I do not think you can name many great inventions that have been made by married men.”

While rumors abounded over Tesla’s relationship with Katharine Johnson, wife of The Century editor (and Sierra Club co-founder) Robert Underwood Johnson, he never did marry, hence why his grandnephew William Terbo was so active in keeping Tesla’s name alive.

Written by David J. Kent

Moopi, ShowProof and punch54 like this.
  2. TheForsakeen

TheForsakeen Fapstronaut

he likely died a virgin, and also broke.

V∧DΞR likes this.
  3. punch54

punch54 Fapstronaut NoFap Defender

Interesting, never knew that Tesla was a celibate. Almost makes me want to consider staying celibate now lol

Retentionman and modern milarepa like this.
  4. Rationaliser

Rationaliser Fapstronaut

I'm at day 36 in my second-longest streak and the transmutation already makes me feel like I can rip the world inside out and make it so beautiful and amazing that I would finally wanna have children in it.

Retentionman likes this.