This article hit me in the feels.

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Ra's Al Ghul, Jan 30, 2019.

1. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

[​IMG]

(I'm sorry, I couldn't resist the chance to post this)

2. Jesus, guns, coal and trucks aren’t exactly part of an intellectual conversation.

3. SolitaryScribe

SolitaryScribe Fapstronaut

That's kinda dumb. I think they tried that in Russia but failed. They also tried it in ancient Rome, namely Nero and Diocletian... who also failed.

Seems to me that history is pretty clear on the fact that you can't just eradicate religion, even if you try to push state atheism in schools and government. The only result you get is the death of millions and the suffering and oppression of other millions. Please enlighten me as to how your going to get people to stop believing in religion?

Gotham Outlaw and brilliantidiot like this.
  4. I don’t get it. Is there some stereotype that atheists wear hats?

5. It’s already happening. You don’t need to force people not to believe. You don’t need “state atheism”. You have this whole thing completely backwards. You automatically assume that if people stop believing in religion it’s because they were forced to stop believing.

Guess what’s happening though. Millennials and Generation Z are walking away from religion en masse. Why? Because we were forced to stop believing? Nope. Because it’s the 21st century and we have unlimited access to science and knowledge and it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out that religion is a complete load of shit.

6. MLMVSS

MLMVSS Fapstronaut

Religion is a combination of ideas, much like scientific hypotheses or political ideologies are. Forcing people to change them is a terrible idea, but people can also be willing to forget about them if they wanted to. I wouldn’t personally, but there are others who do.

Lampard21 and Gotham Outlaw like this.
  7. Both religion and atheism have caused and can caused suffering OK... both of them have led to suffering for millions and it's not even necessarily the beliefs themselves but the people behind those beliefs, so you can't just scrutinize atheism alone and say that it leads to suffering because religion has done so also and it's not atheism itself that has done so but the people behind atheism.

8. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

Its just a meme, showing the comical stereotype of an atheist. Just a bit of fun.

9. Where is this concept coming from? Who is talking about forcing people to abandon religion? Like I said, people are voluntarily walking away, no force required.

10. SolitaryScribe

Um actually, state atheism only started because the masses of Russia were leaving the church. Russia had a great falling away from faith way before communism or state atheism entered the picture. The young" intellectuals" of that time believed that religion was irrelevant because of the progresses of science. I would encourage you to read about the history of the USSR and the people of Russia at that time. The majority of Russia was already atheist when the civil war occurred and the zar was overthrown. State atheism was only established because Stalin wanted to eradicate it completely and make sure no children were grown in the faith.

Luckily Russia is experiencing a re-vamping of religion. I believe that the same thing will happen in north America where atheism will take a political form and it will cause massive amounts of persecution and suffering. And then it will be followed by a revamping of faith. History does tent to repeat itself :)

Knighthawk and brilliantidiot like this.
  11. Are they generally happy?

EthanW. likes this.
  12. MLMVSS

MLMVSS Fapstronaut

As I specifically mentioned no names or no quoted posts, nobody. It’s just something for people to keep in mind.

13. You’re speaking as a Christian desperate to see religion make a comeback. Well, it’s not going to happen. The trend is clear and undeniable, religion and Christianity in particular is in full decline. Also, there isn’t going to be persecution or suffering. I don’t know why you’re obsessed with this concept. People are simply not believing anymore, nothing violent or extreme about that.

14. Well, considering we have one of the highest drug abuse/overdose rates in the nation I would say no.

MLMVSS likes this.
  15. Why do you think atheism will cause suffering and persecution? As I said before religion does the same thing, so why focus on atheism only and actually why blame atheism when it's just an opinion rather than the people who use atheism to justify their wrongdoings?

MLMVSS and Deleted Account like this.
  16. MLMVSS

MLMVSS Fapstronaut

Anything forced onto people by authoritarian means will cause suffering. Religions do it too (the Middle East being a great example).

17. I hope you find happiness. I really do.

18. SolitaryScribe

But we're already seeing this persecution happen. Christians getting sued because they refused to bake a gay cake, God is taken out of any political or government building, the fact that if you mention you are a Christian you are looked down upon as if you're some kind of dumb person, Christianity is probably the only religion that receives the most ridicule, all movies and media tent to be anti-religious in nature. The list goes on... And it's only going to get worse with this liberal movement of transgenderism and gender politics. Now imagine if someone like yourself was to go into a position of power, someone with a deep hatred for religion, do you not think he would put policies in place to further persecute the religious minority (even if that be indirectly).

Though I agree with you that atheism is on the rise, I would have to say that it's not because of the scientific achievements but rather out of ignorance. People generally don't know anything about religion and don't care. They don't go to church or read the bible or read theological books or actually try to study the evidence in order to make a educated decision... most people just take things on a whim and believe it to be true.

brilliantidiot and Lampard21 like this.
  19. SolitaryScribe

I am blaming atheism for 2 main reasons.

1: The first blame isn't necessary against atheism in general rather against an ideology or world view that goes into power. As we can see that north America is actually becoming more atheistic and this will enevatably lead to atheism taking a political form which will naturally lead to suffering.

2: The second blame I have against atheism is it's view on the meaningless or the non-value of life. Atheism does not see human life as anything special, so when it comes to "the greater good" (whatever that means) it has no issue dispensing of human lives no different the a butchery for farm animals. As we've seen done by Moa, Stalin, Pol Pot, Mousseline etc etc.

20. I want to see the day where we all stop identifying LEFT and RIGHT. Start seeing the game for what it is= Pitting the American populace against one another. The more energy spent attacking each other, aka, the poor (unless your on nofap as a billionaire or multi-millionaire several times over) the less time we pay attention to what is really going on behind the curtains.
    Do you think TRUMP has any real power? The man is an actor on a stage people, there to distract you.
    Do you think LEFT and RIGHT accurately sum up who YOU are as a person? Absurd.
    This narrative has been played for hundreds of years now and so many people just eat the spoon-fed shit up like lap-dogs despite more information available to them than ever before. Poor killing poor and dividing eachother into camps so the people can never be strong enough to overcome their true oppressors.
    Welcome to modern day America, the new British Empire. We've become what our forefathers sought to rid themselves from in the name of comfort. "Please FOX and CNN, tell me what to THINK! I'm so scared of the _______" (add generic group-term).

Well it's working, look at this post alone; let alone your town, city, block, county, state.

It's time to start seeing the two party system for the lie that it is.
    -These people that get you to rally against each other on the streets (Mr.Right Mrs.Left) go home together and cash checks from the same companies. Invite each other over from dinner parties and laugh while we fight each other and go to war for them.
    -They setup bot accounts to envoke extreme reactions from people in communities and run half true news stories to stoke the flames.

*UNITED IS THE ONLY WAY WE WILL WITHSTAND. THEE ONLY WAY!
    Unplug from your daily programming, talk to your neighbors, do 1 kind thing a day for someone. Step out of your comfort zone. Let's wake up from this nightmare and start finding solutions for our immediate community that involve UNITY.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2019