People who speak 2 languages

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Waldo101, Mar 15, 2017.

1. ZenoStyleLogic

ZenoStyleLogic Fapstronaut

Awesome man.

2. Deadlihood

Deadlihood Fapstronaut

Fuck you.

3. Jungler

Jungler Fapstronaut

English, italian and sardinian.

I'll take anyone on if they say that sardinian is an italian dialect, cause it's not.

Deleted Account, Unas and SnowWhite like this.
  4. MJ Warrior 93

MJ Warrior 93 Fapstronaut

I grew up speaking two languages. English and spanish.

I speak 4 now, along with korean (a little) and brazilian portuguese.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  5. balkanic_falcon

balkanic_falcon Fapstronaut

I speak serbo-croatian (native), english, russian, ukrainian, macedonian, slovenian, rusyn, and initial level of greek and french.

6. SMK

SMK Guest

I speak 3 (english , urdu & Hindi) & can learn any language (spoken) within 7 days

Deleted Account likes this.
  7. HappyDaysAreHereAgain

HappyDaysAreHereAgain Fapstronaut

Does rural west Texan count as another language, or only a dialect?
    And Ahian?

Multiple languages do allow for innovation in problem solving. A few years ago bilingual students averaged 200+ points higher on their SAT test scores than their monolingual counterparts. Music, computer programming, and math fluency also correlate positively. They all encourage alternate thought patterns that fit structured rules.

Quiver and Deleted Account like this.
  8. JarCart

JarCart Fapstronaut

English and American Sign, which is as closely related to English as Chinese is.

9. I totally agree. Persons who speak two language are really cool and sophisticated. I'm learning Spanish in school right now and boy it's tough.

10. That's pretty cool.

11. All of you guys who speak four or more languages are really cool. It's sad that learning to speak another language is kinda looked down upon in my country. I think that bilingual, trilingual and quadrilingual people are awesome and smart.

Quiver likes this.
  12. HappyDaysAreHereAgain

I imagine that some of you have heard the joke:

If you speak 3 languages, you are: __trilingual__ .

If you speak 2 languages, you are __bilingual__.

If you only speak one language, you are _______________.

(Answer is on my profile page.)

SnowWhite and Deleted Account like this.
  13. HappyDaysAreHereAgain

Is that hybrid called Germish or Englerman?

I occasionally fall into a form of Espanglish, but a friend beat me when he asked a taxi driver, "Tie-o down-o with el rope-o?" Only his hand gestures communicated what he wanted done to his loose suitcase on the roof of the cab.

14. HappyDaysAreHereAgain

Imagine doing it like immigrants, without classes, watching TV, and going shopping.
    Youtube has some great videos that teach Spanish, and Duolingo is a good free app: https://www.duolingo.com
    Nothing works like a few months far south of the border with a family that speaks no English. For full immersion here, you could look for a Spanish church.

15. Yeah I guess I complain too much.

16. HappyDaysAreHereAgain

Aaron, do you have any Hispanic friends? That would also do wonders for learning Spanish, especially what they don't teach in class. A Spanish speaking girlfriend would be great motivation, but it is not easy to find one with no brothers.

17. HappyDaysAreHereAgain

Wow! I dated a girl from there once. Sounded like a beautiful place. I don't remember where we ate, but, walking back I still remember picking and eating "bread and cheese," the white begonia flowers.

18. JWwantsalife

JWwantsalife Fapstronaut

wow am I the only one who knows both English and Chinese and a little Malay?

Sometimes, learning two languages can be quite easy due to their similarities. For example, the word "police" in English is translated to "polis" in Malay. See that similarity? One more, the word "ambulance" translates to "ambulans" in Malay. Of course, I'm not saying all Malay words are similar to English words. But the similarities can really make it easier to learn.

However, some languages can be VERY hard to learn. Especially languages with basically no relation to each other. Like, take English and Chinese for example, "police" translates to "警察“ in Chinese, and "ambulance" translates to "救护车“ in Chinese. You see how there is literally no similarity? And just FYI, one single word in Chinese can have several pronunciations and different meanings at the same time, it depends on what words you pair it with or what meaning you want it to portray.

Take for example the Chinese word "给“, this can be pronounced as both " gěi " and " jǐ ". Both pronunciations have the third tone, (recognisable by the arrow in one of the letters of each word). Basically, you read them with a rise and drop of your tone. You can learn more from the picture I posted about tones in Chinese. There are actually 5 tones, and only 4 tones are shown since the last one is a bit hard to explain. So back to the word "给“. It basically means give in English, and the 2 pronunciations of that single word both similarly means give. So why 2 pronunciations? The 2 pronunciations each can be paired differently with other words that will give a different meaning. It is sort of complicated here so I won't confuse yall since its just FYI.

So really, the relation between one language and the other can affect one's ability to master that language. But I must say I enjoy learning them!

Attached Files:

19. HappyDaysAreHereAgain

Most European languages are inter-related, and, with a shared alphabet and many cognates, they are easier to learn. There are a few outliers like Bosque, but nothing is farther out than oriental languages with tones and shapes. A patient Taiwanese man showed me how a Chinese dictionary is organized. It is amazing.

20. Okan

Okan Guest

I speak a little English and I'm still learning. My mother language is Turkish. If you want learn Turkish, I can help you. You also can help me for English.