Why do people think capitalism is always the answer?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by splinter, Oct 25, 2017.

1. MLMVSS

MLMVSS Fapstronaut

iOS Appstore developers beg to differ.

Plus, remember the court ruling against Microsoft?

2. Cool, an economics chat.

So, first, I took your point as referring to the actual market for personal computers, which Apple 100% dont have a monopoly in.

As to appstore developers, that's an interesting one. Much like the Microsoft case you reference, that comes down to an abuse of dominance. Dominance is similar to but not exactly the same as monopoly. It's effectively slightly weaker (a monopoly is always dominant but not vice versa). Microsoft were considered the dominant provider of operating systems and therefore abusing their power when restricting to their own browser.

I don't think app developers have quite the same case with Apple. Apple is certainly the number 1 platform (at least on mobile) but had healthy competition from Google and Microsoft. It's certainly not a Monopoly and (I suspect) not dominant either, in which event it cannot be guilty of abusing dominance.

Gotham Outlaw and MLMVSS like this.
  3. MLMVSS

MLMVSS Fapstronaut

Ahh okay, that makes sense. I guess I overgeneralized. Thanks, my mistake.

Deleted Account likes this.
  4. lantti

lantti Fapstronaut

Well, no, I don't think only USA is greedy. Where did you get that notion?

Greed is taking too much, when in reality one doesn't need it.

Therefore I'm not greedy. Some of my countrymen are, though. They're blinded by their money and luxuries. As for the question do I become greedy if I acquire fortune, well, I pray God to stop me from doing that. Too many corrupted individuals in the world, no need for another one.

As for USA, land of capitalism and freedom (at least it was created as such), bit of a greed is expected. It's not necessarily even an insult, vices are like spices, they enchant the taste of nations/states (though are totally unnecessary).

Yes it is. Never claimed otherwise.

5. Carlossheen

Carlossheen New Fapstronaut

CEO's get paid more because they have a huge responsibility to take in. If something happens to the company the blame goes at them and not the workers, if a worker messes up, they can get some strikes and education before getting fired if they are working really bad, plus workers have rights that protect them from being unjustly fired or treated. In this life people should get paid more for how much responsibility they have to handle. Also in a capitalist country YOU can become CEO if you create a company and you set your pay to be good if you thrive. Of course in a capitalist country a man like Trump that had a millionare father, will get an advantage over a person who has born into poverty, but the poor person can still create a small company and build it slowly into a bigger one. Yes capitalism isn't perfect, but it's pretty awesome when you think about it.

Gotham Outlaw likes this.
  6. There's a difference between the questions "should CEOs be paid a lot" and "exactly how much should CEOs be paid". It is possible for the first answer to be yes and for them still to be overpaid.