1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

How to stop squeezing skin?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Deleted Account, Aug 20, 2018.

1. First of all, I am not sure if this is the right section of the forum to post this, so if it is not I would appreciate a staff member moving it to its proper home. That said, moving on...

I am 19, and I have had a particular... issue for a good few years now. Since puberty, spots and blocked pores and all that fun stuff has arisen, and surprisingly my face has been spared (likely helped by a diligent skin care routine and healthy eating). My shoulders and chest, however, have many papules and blocked pores, and this irritates a part of me to the extent that I will squeeze my skin on my shoulders to the point that it is covered in red finger marks. This obviously gets the attention of the undesirable kind. I am not going to lie, it feels really good to remove all the impurities and sebum blocking my pores. I feel cleaner, but what I do not like is looking like my shoulder and chest has been attacked by a clawed animal.

I fully understand that it is completely natural for the hundreds of pores over our skin to get blocked and that they clear themselves on their own. I do have autism, so that might contribute. Even across the typing of this post, I have multiple times turned my head, bent over my shoulder and squeezed at tiny, tiny papules and blocked pores. It's almost compulsive, if not compulsive altogether. I was wondering if any of you have had experience with this, and solutions to solve it.

Thank you.

Future role model likes this.
  2. I honestly have a very similar problem, and it's something I've been working on slowly. For me, it's always been a self-esteem thing, especially given how badly I'd mess up my face with scratches and similar from picking at spots and similar.

I don't know how severe it is, but I make a mental effort to remind myself of how much longer it takes to heal once you've picked at it, rather than if you leave it alone. I still struggle with this, but I've found that by getting into a daily routine of moisturising my skin, I often get less breakouts, and the ones that do come, I get a good spot cream, so that when I do struggle and pick at it, it's not as severe as scratching away fully dry skin.

I know it's not a brilliant, 100% fix, but I've found this helps me! Get into a routine of moisturizing suspect areas with a natural cream daily, and you'll see the benefit! :)

3. Jason_Tesla_19

Jason_Tesla_19 Fapstronaut

Sounds like it might be OCD. You might want to talk to a therapist for Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, and be more self-aware of your thought processes, and break negative thought patterns and cognitive distortions.

Deleted Account likes this.
  4. sparkz

sparkz Fapstronaut

I do kind of understand you. I get funny compulsions too. You are obviously aware that your behaviour is kind of irrational. Although you like the feeling of having clear pores, you don't want to look like a clawed animal as you say. If the negative consequence of squeezing your skin troubles you more than having blocked pores, I'd say stop. Instead, have you tried using an exfoliating scrub on your skin in the shower? This might help unblock your pores. Also in time your spots will go away as you get older. You may even find that reducing masturbation will clear your skin, as many on here testify. Hope this helps.