1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Help starting meditation

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Burrich1, Sep 18, 2018.

1. Burrich1

Burrich1 Fapstronaut

I have considering beginning meditation for over 10 years. I like the idea of transindental meditation, and it seems to have the most testimonials as to the benefits, but I honestly can’t see spending that much money to learn how to meditate.

My problem is that there is just so much information online, I really don’t know where to begin or if I will have all the resources I need before I start. Add to that all the different types of meditation, and it’s absolutely overwhelming.

I think I like the idea of mindfulness meditation the most at the moment. Does anyone know of any good comprehensive resources either online or in book form to help make a decision and/or to use to teach myself how to meditate?

2. JoePineapples

JoePineapples Fapstronaut

I'd look at Apps, rather than books. They guide you through it step by step. The Headspace App is excellent, and the first 10 sessions are free. Also excellent is an App called "Calm", (also has a free trial) I've been using it for a couple of years, and I use it nearly every day. I've currently got a 50 day streak... and while meditation isn't about being competitive – even with yourself – seeing the streak building encourages you to do a daily practice.

3. DaveHana

DaveHana Fapstronaut

I second Headspace. I found the audios on torrent and have been doing them nearly daily for six months. I've seen a great improvement. I think the subscription is probably worth it, but I don't like the whole gamification element of it.

Burrich1 and JoePineapples like this.
  4. moonesque

moonesque Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

The best way to start is just doing it (the other posts are good too).

Here’s a simple exercise:

Sit upright in a chair comfortably with your feet on the ground.

Focus on one body part, this can be the chest, your hands, the sensation of your feet on the ground anything.

Set a timer with an app or just a clock for 5 min, even 1-3 min is okay to start.

Now during the next 5 min, try your best to not move. If you do just try to gently go back to what was comfortable before.

Always try to keep that awarness on the part that youve chosen throughout the session, try not to think about anything else, just try to stay aware of what you chose.

If you find yourself wandering and not aware of that body part, as well simply gently refocus and try to stay aware.

Over time reading the material available will make more sense as you experience it.

5. overclocked

overclocked Fapstronaut

A short section in the book "the willpower instinct" by Kelly McGonnigal is dedicated to meditation, its benefits, how to abtain them exactly, and how long it takes to see them. All backed by science.

Burrich1 likes this.
  6. Read some martial arts mental training exercises, and follow moonesque's advice as well to meditate. I would recommend reading some Mantak Chia, but any good source that covers the basics will do.

Also, if you think listening to music or watching some relaxing video with ambient sounds is meditating, you are only fooling yourself.

With meditation, there is no easy way out. Put in the work, and you will get the results.

moonesque, Burrich1 and DaveHana like this.
  7. DaveHana

DaveHana Fapstronaut

@moonesque laid it out perfectly. The challenge you may encounter as a beginner though, is that the thoughts will be constantly running through your mind, and you may not be able to focus on the breath. You may become frustrated and think "I'm not doing it right" or "this isn't going to work". That is where having a guided audio helps to remind you that you are doing fine and it will work if you keep at it and have patience. My two cents.

8. Burrich1

Burrich1 Fapstronaut

Thanks everyone! I will definitely look into checking out all these resources!

JoePineapples likes this.
  9. DaveHana

DaveHana Fapstronaut

Also, I could recommend Kelly Howell. Her site brainsync has some cool guided meditations.

She also has audios with brainwaves and subliminal messages on various topics, which may or may not interest you.

Good luck on the path brother

Burrich1 likes this.
  10. DeludedSoul

DeludedSoul Fapstronaut

Please visit swamij.com. You will find all that you are seeking. And without a slightest doubt effective.

Burrich1 and JoePineapples like this.