1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Not sure how to handle a fitness routine.

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Anonymous86, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Anonymous86

Anonymous86 Fapstronaut

I'm 31, 5'10", 214 lbs. I want to lose fat and I'm very self-conscious of people looking at me in the gym. I have no real muscle, mostly fat. Not sure how I should start the gym for the first time...any suggestions?

2. Try a bit of cardio first maybe i.e running or cyclig - I weigh 100kgs (not sure what that is in pounds) and I recently did my first marathon helped me lose a lot of weight ans incteased fitness dramatically. As for thr gym don't be self conscious "if you are moving you are improving"

pmotina and Mike28 like this.
  3. Anonymous86

Anonymous86 Fapstronaut

Should I still do cardio at the gym after walking to the gym via a half mile? If I do cardio, for how long should I do it at the gym before hitting the weights or freeweights?

4. If you take weight training serious then you will get a decent physique and strength in no time. You need to be consistent and determined, with decent protein intake. Do research first. You are better using free weights dumbbells and barbell. If you are self conscious get a membership at a 24 hour gym and go when it's quiet.

Anonymous86 likes this.
  5. Anonymous86

Anonymous86 Fapstronaut

May I ask, should I start with free weight dumbbells first seeing as I’m so out of shape?

6. You need to build a routine and just start with a weight you can handle with solid form. Remember every exercise you need to start low weight and build up. Read into proper ways to build up for a training set. That goes for dumbbells and/or barbell or anything else. Work within your own limitations and be honest. Focus on building and gaining muscle/strength, not testing/proving it. Actually getting stronger with solid form. That's going to be best for you long term. Just remember there are people much smaller than you that are super strong, but they would have been training for a long time. You don't have to compare yourself to that, just focus on yourself. The key to training for anything fitness/strength based is only focus on yourself, don't compare. I could talk endlessly, the best way is to experience it for yourself, research yourself and do it yourself. You need to read the facts yourself to be able to believe in them. Me telling you them isn't going to be good enough. So do research first. Good luck!

Anonymous86 likes this.
  7. lamstronger

lamstronger Fapstronaut

Caloric deficit and weightlifting man. Cardio isn't the best choice for burning fat. Just train for an hour with ~130 heart rate.
    Start with the basics. Squats, deadlifts, bench and overhead press. Watch youtube or ask for help from a friend to help you with form.
    If you want to be super safe, start on the machines, then move to the main lifts, add free weight stuff later.

Anonymous86 likes this.
  8. Anonymous86

Anonymous86 Fapstronaut

Thank you. I’ll probably start super-safe.

What are the main lifts?

9. Gdwillpr

Gdwillpr Fapstronaut

Honestly when I see guys in the gym that look like they haven't exercised, and are over weight, I feel proud of them for being in there. I know many other people think the same thing. We all started out of shape, and got into shape over time. That's the only way to do it. Just know that people aren't judging you how you may think, most will support you as they were in the same spot in the beginning..

Anonymous86 likes this.
  10. Mike28

Mike28 Fapstronaut

Hey there, something to keep in mind: you'll hear about many different training ideas (same goes for diets). You'll find success with most of them, so don't get discouraged, pick one and stick to it for a few months.
    How often do you work out per week? I'd suggest full body workouts 3 times per week in the begining.

Deleted Account and Anonymous86 like this.
  11. lamstronger

lamstronger Fapstronaut

Squat, bench press, overhead press and deadlift

Anonymous86 likes this.
  12. Anonymous86

Anonymous86 Fapstronaut

I'm not particularly strong to do that right now, but perhaps I can build up to that after using free weights, machines, and getting use to the gym for a while. Thanks for the advice though, I really appreciate it.

13. meatsandwich

meatsandwich Fapstronaut

I lost tons of weight trough caloric deficit and gaming, but gaming was to take attention
    from having a snacks though nowadays my goal is to gain weight with training :D