1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Cooking for one.(what's healthy, easy, and cost effective?)

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Deleted Account, Nov 3, 2018.

1. basically all I ever can put together for relatively cheap and easy meals are chicken, broccoli, and rice. The chicken is interchangeable with steak or salmon. I'm getting tired of this though and was wondering if anyone had any healthy meal plans for one that doesn't require buying 15 different ingredients that are only useful for one or two recipes.

Deleted Account likes this.
  2. Mike28

Mike28 Fapstronaut

Haha i feel the exact same! I hope someone is able to help

3. Headspace

Headspace Fapstronaut

If you have a hand blender, hummus is super quick and easy to make. It is healthy and I just love the taste. It can be served as a side dish to many different meals. Ingredients are not your standard stuff, though, as you will need: chick peas, tahin, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and cumin (+ pepper & salt). In the end I always add water to get the consistency right. Tahin might not appear to be the cheapest ingredient, but that stuff really fills your stomach.

Other than that: Cabbage. Lots of it. Super cheap, super versatile. A few months ago I even used it to make "okonomiyaki" (a Japanese meal akin to hearty pancake).

I can't come up with a full "meal plan", though.

To save time, I usually cook myself enough food for at least two days, sometimes even three.

4. Mike28

Mike28 Fapstronaut

I usually meal prep for teo to three days too. It's way cheaper than eating out.

I often eat pasta/rice with chicken/turkey because it has a lot of calories and proteins (wanna gain weight)

5. Pinetree

Pinetree Fapstronaut

You can just add more vegetables.

The secret of eating is to think food groups, for example:

1. Greens, mushrooms and vegetables (includes roots) - many can be eaten raw
    2. Grains and pasta
    3. Meat, fish, cheese, eggs, pulses, nuts and seeds (this is a protein rich group)
    4. Oil, vinegar or lemon, salt, spices - they change a lot the taste, buy few spice mixtures that you like the taste of

I'm a pretty good cook and can put together more complicated dishes, but if I want to go the easy way, I can cook from a pretty random selection from each of the 4 food groups.

The 4th group is stuff that you always have in the kitchen, so you don't need to buy every time you want to cook.

As long as the ingredients you choose are not of a strong taste that you dislike, and keep in mind that some cook more quickly and others require more cooking time, there should be no disaster in your cooking.

Which ingredients you are going to use is up to your taste, so I can't give advice here.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
  6. Lostbutfound

Lostbutfound Fapstronaut

I usually fly by the seat of my pants and cook meals I come up with out of the blue, my suggestion is, if you're gonna eat healthy you gotta know the essentials first and if you can, follow a diet at a reasonable pace. Look up how much veggies cost and buy enough to last you a week and if you can, learn gardening too.

7. I eat chicken breast daily

If you're sick of that, make some chicken drumsticks and potatoes in the oven. Its easy as fuck.
    - Peel potatoes with a peeler (I like the T peeler type) and cut them up
    - oil on chicken and potatoes but I haven't even been putting any oil because I'm dieting.
    - salt and pepper and optional rosemary
    - or you can get a honey and soy for the chicken or get the pre marinaded 8 pack from the super market
    - in a pre heated oven (3-5 minutes) 180 degrees for 45-60 minutes. Say 50. Check it at 45.
    - skill required 4/10. Easier than frying which is a 6-6.5/10 depending on what you're frying.

If you're sick of all the different meats then what's left?

Pasta bolognaise with and extra bolognaise sauce

If you wanna go fancy learn to make a stir fry

With your chicken you can get various marinades to switch it up. I like Portuguese chicken and Satay chicken isn't bad either. I know you're sick of chicken and I keep mentioning chicken but have you tried plain chicken breast in white bread, untoasted with a generous amount of mayo and tomato sauce on the top? Man that is delicious! Forget about a KFC chicken burger, make your own, they're 10 times better!

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
  8. You can try and make smoothies using different stuff. It may not always be super cheap, but sure is super healthy.

9. I have a smoothie every morning. I throw all kinds of shit in it.

10. Meditation Monk

Meditation Monk Fapstronaut

This sounds like the world I live in. Haha. Gotta love this shit. :)

11. I sometimes make a stir fry that I can get a few meals from. The chicken on white bread with mayo and tomato sauce sounds a little odd, but who knows, maybe you're on to something there. Thanks for the ideas. Will def look into a few.

12. Yeah, I'm always looking to gain weight. Rotisserie chicken from the market is always good for a couple meals when you grab a couple sides with it, like potato salad, macaroni, or beans.

13. Never really considered hummus. I think I had it once by accident, but was a little turned off by it. Okonomiyaki sounds interesting though. I used to cook enough for a few days but I got away from it for whatever reason. Maybe now that the weather is getting cold again I can spend more time inside cooking. Thanks for the ideas.

14. Meditation Monk

just some tips. Buy a book on amazon or through stores that gives you a whole different idea of information on making different types of juices at home. I bought mine from a yard sale and it works great.

15. Angus McGyver

Angus McGyver Fapstronaut

You can make cheap, nutritious, and healthy meals from rice/bulgur/cous-cous, beans, lentils, kale, carrots, peas, seeds, chick-peas, and most other vegetables. Having fresh fruit as a snack (instead of highly processed chips, mars-bars and similar) is also a great a great compliment. Don't worry about such things as protein-deficiencies, there is plenty of it in peanuts (and peanut-butter), seeds, peas, beans, and lentils.

16. Lostbutfound

Lostbutfound Fapstronaut

Not gonna lie, I just eat a lot more veggies.

17. Meditation Monk

good, they provide lots of vitamins and minerals for your body.

18. meatsandwich

meatsandwich Fapstronaut

I eat around 500g-1kg of veggies per day and if I can around 500g-1kg of meat,
    500grams of boiled rice, then sometimes 4-6 eggs in the morning but I still feel hungry so
    I would have half bread 200-300grams with some peanut butter the healthy one natural with some 500ml of milk protein drink.

-It was my most perfect diet for me at least, when it comes to muscle gains and divide the meat/veggies/rice in multiple meals.
    Preferable to eat every 2 hours, though also after training to have protein shake and it would be awesome
    even to make simple milkshake with bananas, cottage cheese, whey/creatine and extra berries and other stuff.

Highest weight here around 80kg~
    I think I do too much exercises, so really I don't see myself getting fat just gaining more muscle.

edit: If you aren't quite physically active, something like this can make person obese. :D

19. Meditation Monk

lol. I work out at home in simple home remedies. Sooooo, busted. lol.

meatsandwich likes this.
  20. meatsandwich

meatsandwich Fapstronaut

I work out at home/street myself, gained like 7kg in short amount of time. :D

Meditation Monk likes this.