1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Places to find good workout/fat burning info?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Sam-_, Feb 26, 2019.

1. Sam-_

Sam-_ Fapstronaut

Hey guys! Pretty much:

I need a place where I can look, and learn on how to effectively turn my lifestyle from an unhealthy one, to a healthy one.

If anybody knows source(s) that can provide:

• diet info: in general, what’s good? What’s bad?
    • Good workout routines
    • What’s supplements are good? Bad? Why?
    • Anything useful to building muscle, and losing fat.

My goals is to get in shape, and feel confident about my body. I’m tired of being overweight, if not borderline obese according to my BMI, and really want to get healthy, and look healthy. I want to get down to a weight of 170-185, and not be ripped but look like I work out, if that makes sense.

My problem is, I have no clue on where to look, and google doesn’t help me at all in finding what I want to know. (Why? I don’t know, everything I find is bland, or extremely vague and in turn useless)

Maybe if you can help me yourself?
    • I’m 5’10
    • 220lbs at the beginning of Feb.
    • My waist size in pants is 34-36 (brands)
    • I recently started doing body weight exercises (pushups/crunches/squats) but not super regularly.
    • I have a bad diet, no clue what to eat/when despite trying to google it. (I know less fats more proteins, etc but like... portion sizes? How often do I eat? No clue.)
    • I DO take 20mg of Adderall daily (ADHD) if that matters...
    • I have the time, and desire to change my lifestyle but don’t know what to do and my problem is I won’t commit to something if I don’t know what the plan is. So like, “just start doing stuff” doesn’t work with me: I lose my drive, and taper off. (Kinda like what’s going on with body weight exercises.)

I’ve asked something before in here, and got good responses but I’m not looking for an explanation from you guys, instead HELPFUL sources that really work to explain... everything I guess... if you can do that yourself? That’s awesome and I’d love for you to, and I’d be forever thankful for literally changing my life.

It comes down to this: I’m done living unhealthy, I’m done being fat, to be blunt. I want to feel good, I want to do good, and I want to be confident when I take my shirt off at the beach, or any time I’m doing anything, really.

I’d give anything to get in shape, and feel good about myself. I’d do anything. The pain of exercising won’t turn me off because I know it’s a requirement for growth. I just... don’t know what to do.

————————
    TLDR/better explaination than above tbh:

Please, anything will help. TLDR I want to lose 40-50 pounds.

If there’s supplements that will help me, what are they? What should I avoid?

What should I even be doing? I have a gym I can go to (provided by my college tuition) but have zero clue on what to do there. To lose weight? To tone muscles?

What should I be eating? Avoiding? How often? Portions? Be specific if you can, that would help the most rather than being vague.

I don’t really care if YOU provide me answers, but I really want sources too so I can continue on past what you’re saying. Where can I look to get answers? Google doesn’t help me find what I’m looking for (trust me I’ve tried for 2+months)

Thank you in advance. I really, really can’t explain how badly I want to get in shape and lose weight. I just don’t know what to do, and have no clue what to expect/do.

2. lamstronger

lamstronger Fapstronaut

Hey.
    First of all, great that You've decided to begin a healthy lifestyle.
    Wanting to the change is the first and probably the biggest step you can make towards a healthier You. Here's some advice:
    1) Quit all sugary drinks/snacks/sweets/chips etc.
    2) Calculate your daily calories based on your age/sex/lifestyle in order to know how much food you should be eating in order to reach your goals. You can find the BMR or daily calorie calculator on google.
    3) When it comes to food, what most fitness people eat include lots of vegetables, rice (preferably brown), chicken, fish, eggs etc. Make sure you avoid all the sugary stuff and after that eat what you find tasty.
    4) Drink water. You can also find the precise information on how much water you should be drinking daily, online. It's recommended to drink 8 glasses of water, which is 2 litres, but like I said, check online.
    5) When it comes to supplements, DON'T TAKE ANY. Have a well balanced diet instead.
    6) Websites where you can find a lot of information include bodybuilding.com, livestrong.com, YOUTUBE.
    7) When it comes to Youtube channels I recommend subscribing to Athlean-x!!!! Subscribe to the BuffDudes, JeffNippard's channels as well. These guys provide great information about fitness in general. You must check them out.
    8) Once you actually go to the gym, begin by doing compound movements (like squats, deadlifts, bench press, overheadpress) and get stronger on these movements in order to get stronger, lose fat. DON'T do isolation exercises.
    9) Watch some youtube tutorials on these movements, because doing them incorrectly can have negative effects on your body. Start with an empty bar.
    10) Never skip warm-ups (I don't mean cardio machines). Stretch your muscles, joints in order to prevent injuries.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
    Sam-_ likes this.
  3. Nothing better than taking advice from Gogeta himself, this is excellent advice. I would argue #10 is the most important, because warming up is crucial to health.

lamstronger and Sam-_ like this.
  4. Sam-_

Sam-_ Fapstronaut

Thank you for this advice, I will definitely use it, and hopefully it will yield good results!

I do have a couple questions:

1) Since I would be cutting out sugary drinks (soda, sweet teas, etc) what would be your suggestions to drink? - I know water, unsweet tea, and coffee are good choices, but the only reason I drink anything with sugar in it like sweet tea is because I can't really stand the taste of unsweet tea, black coffee, or in certain circumstances water. (My go-to drink is Arnold Palmer Half/Half Lite, which has roughly 19g of sugar per 12oz can, as compared to Sunkist that has 44g per 12oz can.)

2) Paired with the one above, I've heard water has a lot of health benefits in general. My only issue is I can't drink tap water (can't stand the taste of it where I live), and haven't found any bottled waters that I really like. (I can taste a difference in water, IDK about others but I can. Maybe it's made up in my mind? No clue but there's definitely a difference.) So, what waters would you suggest?

3) Finally, what about drinking protein shakes, and similar drinks? I know a few people who drink them as meal replacements, and I've read a few labels of some and they can have a lot of good nutrients in them. Haven't drank any myself but I did think about it when I start working out, and really going hard at it. You said to avoid any supplements. Would that include these?

Again, thank you SO MUCH for that, and even more thanks for the answers to these! :D

5. lamstronger

lamstronger Fapstronaut

Hey, great that you found the advice to be helpful.
    I’ll try to answer your questions as best as I can:
    1) I personally enjoy the taste of black coffee/green tea without any sugar. It also works well with intermittent fasting. I pour some milk, which has it’s benefits, to black tea or coffee to add taste. You could try that, maybe it will be to your liking.
    2) Hmm, difficult situation. Where I’m from water tastes great to me, so I have no issues with drinking mineral/sparkling or any water. Best advice would be to find the water you can or like to drink. You can’t really find a replacement for it.
    3) Protein shakes or any other supplements aren’t compulsary when it comes to achieving your goals. If your diet is balanced, you can reach your required number of macro and micronutrients. Protein shakes help in reaching the required amount, but they’re not necesarry. A supplement you could try if, like you said that you want to go hard, is creatine, as it has been scientifically proven to help gain strength and muscle mass, but again, it’s not a must.

Hope you find this helpful!

Sam-_ likes this.
  6. Sam-_

Sam-_ Fapstronaut

hey thanks for the info, it'll definitely help!

7. I second athlean-x on youtube. For nutrition the source I can recommend is this: https://www.livsmedelsverket.se/en Obviously whatever your nations equivalent is would make more sense, but...

If you don't do strength training you will lose muscle mass when you're losing weight (and if the goal is to look good that is very bad), so I would say that part is non-negotionable.

The problem with specifics is that there isn't one correct way to do this (beyond the obvious "avoid sugar, junk food and eat more vegetables etc"). I can't (technically I could, but I hope you get what I mean) say "you need to eat 4 meals a day with 75 grams of oats and a banana for breakfast, 250 grams of potatoes and 100 grams of chicken for lunch and...". You have to figure out how you want to eat and then see how it works over time.

Maybe the tap water is of poor quality where you live, then I don't encourage you to drink it. But sometimes you just need to suck it up and stop being a baby. I initially hated tahini, thought it tasted like wet dirt, but after eating it daily for a few days it wasn't so bad anymore. Now I even kinda like it. In general your taste buds will become more generous to foods over time if you stop eating the super-sugary and super-salty stuff.

Sam-_ likes this.
  8. Sam-_

Sam-_ Fapstronaut

Thank you for this. Even if it’s critical, it’s what I need.

As of now, (after zero exercise the past 5 years) I’ve started doing pushups, crunches (or sit-ups, depends on how I feel that morning), squats and planks every morning, and plan to do it every morning/night with breaks on Saturday/Sunday.

I also plan to incorporate running by mid-March which will be fun (or so that’s what I’m telling myself... out first it’s going to suck but I know it’ll only get better as I continue on.)

FINALLY to cover the water thing, it’ll suck out first, and I’ll have to, well, stop being a baby. The one water Ive figured out I like (or at least don’t mind drinking it, as compared to the tap water that comes from my dorm that was build in the mid 70s) is the taste (or lack of) of Smart Water and that’s what I plan to drink despite it being pricy.

Again, thank you for this and I plan to come back here with good news whenever I begin to notice it!

9. I'm glad you're taking it the right way. :)

A bit of calisthenics every morning is a good start. Will definitely have big effects early on. Then later on you can start going to the gym, or do more advanced calisthenics, whatever you feel like. :):)

From own experience, running is torture as a beginner, if you push yourself anyway (which in my mind one should), but it builds discipline and feels great afterwards. Tip: Set up some goal to work toward (run a mile in x time, participate in a race by x date etc).

I personally would research what the quality of the tap water in your area is like, it might be (probably is?) good even if it doesn't taste neutral. I mean, how bad could it possibly taste? I just don't see it... but then again the tap water is pristine where I live.

10. ReclaimedLife

ReclaimedLife Fapstronaut

AthleanX if you want to be fit and healthy mate

Sam-_ likes this.
  11. Check out fitnessblender (sorry, but I can't leave links, just google it). It's the perfect website for everyone who wants to workout at home.

Sam-_ likes this.