1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

I feel like I'll never be good enough...

Discussion in 'Loneliness' started by LTLThrowaway93, Sep 15, 2019.

1. LTLThrowaway93

LTLThrowaway93 Fapstronaut

At anything or for any one.

No matter how I've tried to improve myself it seems to do very little to help my confidence. I'm still the same socially anxious loser I was yesterday. Even when I work out or eat healthy or get a long streak, I always fall back into depression. And this time I have a psychiatrist and medications that sometimes feel like they're doing nothing.

I don't know how to change my position on this. How do I start feeling like I'm actually moving forward and becoming someone?

blacklabel92 likes this.
  2. elevate

elevate Fapstronaut

As long as you come from the mindset that you need to be somewhere else that you currently are and that you have to be someone else that you currently aren't, you're reinforcing the belief that you're not enough. You're reinforcing the belief that where you are will never be where you want to be. You will never arrive because you're always trying to get somewhere else. You'll never accept yourself because you're always trying to become something else. You're always going to move the goal post.

You have to be able to accept who you currently are (including all your current flaws that you're working on). Accept that you're already enough. You're already someone... and you're growing as a person. You will never be complete until you're dead. There will always be something else that you will feel that you lack because we're all imperfect and always will be. There will always be something negative to focus on for the person that is a negative person. This is why with your current mindset you will never be enough.

Everybody is on their own journey / time line / circumstances. Only compare yourself with who you were yesterday. Focus on growing rather than being complete. Most people go through their whole lives trying to chase completion and then they finally reach it when they're dead. We are meant to be flawed and always growing.

Start from a place of accepting who you currently are and where you currently are. Then grow from there. Self hatred or negativity is just a way to self sabotage so that you can be a victim and not focus on the present moment. Stop seeing everything as a way to escape the present moment and see them as stepping stones to something else and somewhere else. That's why most people don't ever "arrive" or be "enough".

3. Souvent08

Souvent08 Fapstronaut

I’m sorry to hear that things aren’t going well for you. If you look back at where you were before I am sure you have had some progress. It may be little but it is still progress and you should use that as encouragement. I have not been in a place like you describe but I have been in a place where I felt lost. What helped me was watching a bunch on motivational videos on YouTube. Just watching a motivational or listening to one changed my mindset from, “I’m doing nothing with my life” to “I can do anything with my life.” What also helped me was my faith, it gave me a direction in life. I also got more involved with groups at my church which was hard because I’m an introvert but socializing definitely helps to stay grounded and not so much on my thoughts. All that was helpful but nothing was more life changing than learning to love myself. At 25, I hadn’t done much of loving myself and now at 27 I literally tell myself almost everyday”I Love you”. Before I was my worst critic.

I dont know if that will hell you but it has helped me. I am still working on it. I accepted that it’s going to take time. I wish you luck and I would love to help in any way that I can. Sometimes just talking to someone helps. Message me if you want.

LTLThrowaway93 likes this.
  4. Medication isn't always going to work perfectly and that's just something you have to learn to deal with.

LTLThrowaway93 and vowed like this.
  5. vowed

vowed Fapstronaut

Who you are is not determined by what you do or by your relationship with other people.

Begin by shedding these ideas. What you do stems from who you are. Great men can make a huge difference by doing what seems to be very little.

Also, the opinion of others, what does that matter? People's opinions are fleeting thoughts. It is the very definition of vanity. People's praise is the root of vainglory. None of it means anything in the least, for perception is quite different from reality.

You are who you are in the eyes of one who does not judge by appearances. And in his eyes, you are worthy of life.

Who is good? Certainly I am not! We all struggle and fall, we are all anchored down. It is the effort to be good that makes a difference. Are you striving to uphold yourself and improve yourself in the things that matter?

Also, one of the side effects of these experiences can be isolation. Are you trying to make a difference in the lives of others? I have gone through some serious bouts of depression, with medications and all, and I have found that going out on the streets and handing a bite of food to a starving person can make you feel that you are at least good enough to alleviate someone's misery.

LTLThrowaway93 and Souvent08 like this.
  6. LTLThrowaway93

LTLThrowaway93 Fapstronaut

Thank you all for your kind words of encouragement. I've been reading and rereading them throughout the day, and it helps a lot.

vowed likes this.
  7. Baduser

Baduser Fapstronaut

I always know exactly what to do if its about someone else, but i dont do it myself. So let me try to help you. First off all let me tell you that im 100% the same.

Im working out for 6 months now and changed. People telling me im doing a good job but I feel like its not going fast enough. Never happy, never good enough.
    I feel good, feel good, 1 bad thing happen, i feel terrible.

Let me first tell you that you are making progress by recognizing the problem. This means you want to work on it and thats allready a thumbs up for you.

Find the little things that make you happy and write them down, even if its a little kid waving at you on the street. If someone tells you that u suck, that does not mean
    the whole world think u suck. Try to take extra care off yourself by doing things that make you feel healthy.

Eat healthy, work out, shower, brush your teeth, have a clean house/room. If you got those things in order it makes you feel better.

vowed, LTLThrowaway93 and Souvent08 like this.