1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Consequences of objectification and staring

Discussion in 'Compulsive Sexual Behavior' started by Mairsiltp, Nov 23, 2019.

1. Mairsiltp

Mairsiltp New Fapstronaut

So I have been dealing with a PMO addiction for a very long time. The biggest side effect of that has been the objectification and compulsive staring. Due to our close proximity, one of my BEST female friends became the main target of that; im not attracted to her, but at the time yoga pants were yoga pants. This continued for long enough(years) that i went past making her uncomfortable, and maybe past being creepy. The feminatzis have a term “raping with your eyes” because objectifying and staring is unwanted and are done without consent; and I feel this accurately describes my actions. (To clarify I have never physically gone near her, only staring) I now understand the weight of my actions, I am absolutely repulsed and find them unforgivable, and spent a week in depression to process the guilt. I would never allow my self to treat her like that again, but every time she looks at me she has a look of apprehension. Like shes afraid the pervert will come back, and she’ll go back to hating me for it. I desperately want to apologize. But how do you approach that type of conversation. Its too heavy to do over text, its not something you can casually bring up, and is a little dark to ask her out for something like coffee to discuss. (Not to mention i am best friends with her husband, so that would be weird) how do I apologize? We are good friends still; She has days where we are happily joking like none of it ever happened, other days not so much. Should I just stop dwelling on the past, focus on improving myself and apologize if I ever find an appropriate moment? Or should I attempt a horrible confrontation; regardless of how terrible, just force an apology, get it over with, and see how we fare after.
    Any advice is appreciated

kropo82 likes this.
  2. John Eses

John Eses Fapstronaut

I'm conflicted about your post. I agree that unwanted attention is inappropriate. And staring way too long is also a bit creepy and not socially acceptable. However, when people start throwing around phrases like "raping with your eyes" I think that's unhelpful. It equates something unwelcome but not a crime with one of the most heinous acts out there.

I reckon you do the following:

1. OK, you realise it's wrong. Don't punish yourself over it. We all make mistakes. You now know your behaviour was wrong so you should make peace with your past acts. Forgive yourself and promise yourself to not do it again.

2. If she is awkward around you, then an apology might be in order. If, however, there doesn't appear to be any obvious problem when you interact with her, then don't do anything. Just act appropriately and she will notice the change and be appreciative.

3. If it's clear that it's a problem, then apologise, but make your apology sincere and short. You don't need to go into long winded explanations or get all dramatic about it. Just say that you realised you stared at her and you're sorry if it made her feel uncomfortable. Leave it at that. If she wants to say something, she will. Most likely she'll just say thank you and you can both get on with your lives.

3. Honestly, you're still friends. And while she may have felt weird about it, it's probably a bigger deal to you than it is to her. You've learned your lesson. Just accept it, move on and don't "perv out" ever again, and everything will be fine. No need to make the situation weirder. Just learn from your mistakes and move on.