1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

What healthy rewarding activities could I do?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by skaterdrew, Jan 2, 2020.

1. skaterdrew

skaterdrew Fapstronaut

The issue with me is I don't really enjoy doing much.

Things I have done on and off through out the years.

Gardening work. Hated it.

Gym. Lifting weights, cardio ext. Hated it.

Skateboarding. Enjoyed it much more when I was younger. When I tried to skate when I was a bit older I didn't have as good balance and quite badly hurt my self a good few times. I also don't really have any friends who skate. So I am not interested in skating these days.

Snooker. It's okay and can be fun, but I don't usually enjoy it that much. Another issue with snooker is there is alcohol severed in snooker clubs.

Playing pool. It's okay and can be, but I don't usually enjoy playing it that much. Another issue with pool is there is alcohol served in pubs ext.

Walking. It's okay but I don't enjoy it that much.

Running/jogging. Hated it.

Cycling. It was okay but didn't enjoy it that much.

Swimming. It was okay, but unfortunately the chlorine in swimming pools badly effects my skin.

Playing football. So this is soccer if your American. Hated it.

Playing badminton. It was okay but didn't enjoy it that much.

Drinking alcohol with friends. Enjoy it. But it's not healthy.

So as you can see I have tried quite a lot of things. A lot of these things I done for long periods of time as well.

I guess what worries me is I don't really enjoy doing much. I am struggling to find something healthy and rewarding that I really enjoy?

Another thing is I done a lot of these things for long periods of time. months, even years. So it's not like I didn't give them a chance.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
    xwjbkw likes this.
  2. Doing puzzles.

Building model kits.

Journaling.

Photography.

Blogging.

Meditation.

3. duellator4viva

duellator4viva Fapstronaut

How about learning another language? Duolingo is an app that makes learning much more fun and intuitive so you won't actually get bored easily. Set a realistic goal and work towards it.

LastRelapse, engelman and xwjbkw like this.
  4. xwjbkw

xwjbkw Fapstronaut

Remember that the human brain is "neuroplastic". This means the brain can adapt and change to enjoy things it previously didn't.

Working out or even just going for a walk is one of the most fantastic replacements. Maybe you didn't like at first, but you have to give it a chance. Don't just dismiss something immediately, because everything is dislikeable when you are bad at it, but once you're good at it you may love it.

Our society needs to relearn to delay gratification. In fact, as you continue doing something, how much you like it changes. Your brain adapts and changes.

Learn to start things you don't like and understand you can grow to love things that are good for you, like daily exercise.

Deleted Account likes this.
  5. duellator4viva

duellator4viva Fapstronaut

I totally get you man. I always advise people that they should enjoy language learning, it shouldn't be a chore. Like you take it as a beautiful hobby while walking your dog and enjoy your genres of television in it, thats what i like. At the moment I'm learning 2 languages but passively just to bring it as a habit.

6. I don't enjoy any of those things either, here is a list of things in the world you could try https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_hobbies I myself enjoy Drawing, sculpting, Photography, Urban exploration, meditation, and Coding, Reading obscure books.

duellator4viva and xwjbkw like this.
  7. Hexham C

Hexham C Fapstronaut

Pub quizzes?

Political activism?

Poker nights?

8. fredisthebes

fredisthebes Fapstronaut

A lot of the hobbies you have tried are quite lonesome. I would recommend starting something involving other people, as their enthusiasm can be infectious - and at the very least you may make some friends who can suggest other activities you can try.

I recommend volunteering. Find a cause you care about, get out there and make the world a better place.

9. Anonymous86

Anonymous86 Fapstronaut

How? How can this be applied if I go back to school? I'm asking because I'm going back to school and I want to learn new subjects such as Multimedia Animation, Technical Writing, or Film and Video Editing. How do I *safely* take risks in deciding what I want to do?

I'm taking an Intro to Literature class next semester actually. How do I force my brain to enjoy things it previously didn't or think it didn't?

10. xwjbkw

xwjbkw Fapstronaut

It's all about what you tell yourself. You can tell yourself something different like that you do like something. Eventually if you tell yourself enough, you will believe it. If you tell yourself but also think you don't believe what you told yourself, then it doesn't work. You must control your THOUGHTS. Control your thoughts and you control your body, and your actions. The same goes for sexual things.

Anonymous86 likes this.
  11. Decided

Decided Fapstronaut

I appreciate your efforts. Your persistence is noteworthy.
    Also, and not to discount where you are and what you've tried, when I'm at 1 day, especially after a long streak of PMO, there's not much I feel like I care or have cared about.
    I tend to end up in an apathetic funk, but that's me. I've come to see that hangover is definitely a part of my cycle.

A few suggestions, possibly already mentioned as I didn't read every reply:
    • Dance classes like Ballroom, Swing, Latin, etc. Beginner classes are often well attended and not expensive. Good place to meet people all trying something new.
    • Volunteer for a charity or public service of some kind. Animal rescue to helping others learn to read, beach / nature area clean ups, etc.
    If you feel a near automatic resistance to the idea of groups, I think that is worth investigating.
    Addiction thrives in isolation.

12. check out meetup.com you can find a group you like and make new friends, I joined a public speaking group which was fun I go every Saturday to get better.

duellator4viva likes this.