1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Dealing with negative/angry/unmotivated people

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Stewart1981, Jan 15, 2020.

1. Stewart1981

Stewart1981 Fapstronaut

Since starting noFap, I feel a lot happier on general and feel a lot more motivated. However at the work place, it is really starting to hit me how other people feel. Is there any advice on dealing with this. I know I am off shift work in 2 weeks or so, so it won't be as bad then but I still have a few shift blocks to push through.

A prime example is yesterday, I felt like I had slayed it all day at work and was genuinely buzzing from it. But when we finished work, one of the guys who took over came in cursing and swearing about everything and moaning about needing to do training. After 10 minutes of this guy my whole attitude shifted. On the training issue, I'm quite keen to get trained up in some technologies that we use so I can slay it and hopefully become one of the best techs (I have goals for the next 2 - 3 years so that I can get to a more skilled and better paying role), but talking about training (I don't mention wanting to be the best), is just met with disdain and comments on how I should be watching Marvel films.

Again once I am off shift this should become a thing of the past as during general office hours, the talk is some what moderated due to management and other 9 - 5 walkers. But the shift mentalities just seem toxic. Plus the hate I seem to be getting for being promoted. And then there is the people who seemed to start despising me after I started the gym last year.

Any tips on dealing with this. I know haters are gonna hate and I am aware of crab bucket mentality but this is just killing me.

Espi1971 likes this.
  2. Infrasapiens

Infrasapiens Fapstronaut

Being unmotivated is my way of life. Do you have something against my lifestyle? You think you're better than me?

3. If others can destroy your mood in 5 minutes of cursing, then your mood is as stable as a house of cards.
    It also means you depend on others primarily for good mood, and you feel angry at them for "destroying your good mood" but you probably feel great when they say good things.
    If you depend on them - there is nothing you can do, kiss them and love them, bring them coffee, let them wipe the floor with you and do overtime on the weekends, what ever it takes, keep them happy.
    Or start building your self esteem on who you are and what you do, then people will come to you for support and a kind world so they can feel ok at the end of the day.

You probably think you are worthless peace of crap, and when others say something good, you feel like maybe you are not, but when they say something bad - you feel like maybe you are and so it goes....

4. lolos

lolos Fapstronaut

You need to have the right mindset. Frame it this way: You are a go getting, positive dude with a lot of motivation to acheive things. These people are lazy and when they see you acheiving it makes them feel bad about their own laziness. Be so fucking positive and good at what you do that you either inspire them to overcome there laziness or it makes them feel even worse about themselves. If they are in the second category they are losers. This doesn't mean you are above them or that they are bad people, still treat them kindly and with respect, just keep doing what you do and don't let them bring you down. If they are in the first category encourage them and help them motivate themselves.

If you do this eventually you will be surrounded by positive like-minded people.

Stewart1981 likes this.
  5. Espi1971

Espi1971 Fapstronaut

@Stewart1981 I can relate to BOTH sides of such negativity and hatred. At times I feel like I have been the recipient and the giver!

I think it all boils down to prioritizing internal strength over external validation. I'm convinced that my own negativity and hatred stem an unhealthy desire for control and acceptance. In some areas of life I still lack confidence and belief in myself, which means that I still have the tendency to compare myself to/ rely on others for self-worth.

My stopping PMO, weed, and various other p-subs means that I have stopped escaping and avoiding feelings. For better or worse, I feel a deeper sense of connection with others, and as a result, I feel like I have made myself more vulnerable to the best and worst of humanity.

I've learned over the past 90+ days that I struggle with pride, insecurity, and anger. I yearn for control and acceptance. When I feel slighted I often feel anger and resentment. I've really struggled with this at work lately. A few of my junior colleagues have outperformed me lately. I work in what I consider to be an extremely competitive sales environment, and I have secretly resented my colleagues' recent success, even hoping that they would fail, because I choose to believe that their out-succeeding me makes me look bad. So it's all about ME.

My anger and insecurity are unhealthy, but at least I feel like I can now better understand others' negativity, and that I can be more accepting and understanding.

Stewart1981 likes this.