1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

how to keep a conversation going?

Discussion in 'Loneliness' started by hii'mPaul, Apr 17, 2020.

1. hii'mPaul

hii'mPaul Fapstronaut

I quiete often have conversations with people and it seems really hard for me to keep it going. Somewhere along the way I always think 'uhm yeah what do I say now' and it takes a real effort to keep coming up with topics. Is there any way to make this smoother or something?

2. beaverreaver

beaverreaver Fapstronaut

Do you have things in your life you're really into? You can just start talking about random stuff you like. It's easiest to talk about something you know about.

hii'mPaul likes this.
  3. hii'mPaul

hii'mPaul Fapstronaut

I don't know, there don't seem to be many things I'm really into...

4. Don't try to force it. And also don't be hard on yourself. Honestly myself I find having conversations about certain topics of interest, and 90% the time, the people I am talking to aren't that deeply interested as I am. So I keep quiet. Trying to Fit in is a lot of work.

Espi1971, Costeve and hii'mPaul like this.
  5. Maxxx

Maxxx Fapstronaut

Cerca di conversare creando un dialogo alla pari: 50% parla tu l'altro 50% ascolti l'altro. E' difficile trovare persone che ascoltano. Parla di un argomento ma anche dei sentimenti che stai provando ora per quell'argomento. Più che di argomenti parla di storie, alla gente piace ascoltare storie, esperienze concrete di persone reali.

hii'mPaul likes this.
  6. Tell them that you just got of prison for murder, I am sure that will get there attention lol . Talk about what YOU want to talk about anything your interested in or thinking about

blacklabel92 and hii'mPaul like this.
  7. Ruthless Hamster

Ruthless Hamster Fapstronaut

You don't need to come up with topics to talk about.
    The easiest way to keep a conversation going with people is to ask them a relative question to the thing they're talking about.

And because people like talking about themselves, it makes it much easier to speak because then they ask you questions as well so it keeps it a float, but then you'll come across people who are one-sided and don't really participate in conversations much.

For example, you talk to a girl.
    You go through the hey how are you stuff ask them how they are and then ask them what they're up to or what they've done with their day etc.
    Whatever they mention in their sentences, let's say they went to see a movie called Aliens Attack Earth: Revenge of the Bing Bongs, ask them questions about that movie or even mention that you've seen the same thing and then from there a discussion will take place. Ask them what they liked about it, ask them what they hated, and when you feel like the conversation is starting to die out and you want to keep it going, ask them a question about a different "thing" that they mentioned that doesn't relate to movies. From there, the topic changes and then a new discussion comes into fruition.

Espi1971 and hii'mPaul like this.
  8. You seem to have a problem with thinking you need to keep coming up with topics, or things to say.

If someone says something to you and you have nothing to say you obviously don't care about anything they have said

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2020
    hii'mPaul likes this.
  9. hii'mPaul

hii'mPaul Fapstronaut

thanks for all the replies everyone!
    As soon as I get out of quarantaine I'll be using your tips IRL.
    It seems as if it might actually work :)

10. p1n1983

p1n1983 Fapstronaut

This.
    Only spend time with the ones that also want to keep the conversation alive with you and ask questions about your life too.

11. Espi1971

Espi1971 Fapstronaut

@hii'mPaul there's been good advice given already.

Listen 80% speak 20.

Embrace the dead silences and awkward pauses of conversation.

hii'mPaul likes this.
  12. blacklabel92

blacklabel92 Fapstronaut

If there genuinely interested in talking to you the conversation will flow 50/50. Don't settle and let the conversation be onsided were your putting 90% effort and their putting 10. It should always be 50/50 anything other than that is drifting into cuck zone. Even masters of the the social game run into stale bleak conversations and you know what they do? They politely excuse themselves and move onto the next person. Because that's how life is.

hii'mPaul likes this.
  13. fredisthebes

fredisthebes Fapstronaut

Ask questions, figure out what they are interested in, or get them to talk about themselves. Women tend to be much better at conversation than men, so you'll find this a lot easier with women who will quite happily start rattling on about their day, what they watched last night, etc. Men tend to be a bit more awkward, in general. of course there are exceptions.

blacklabel92 and hii'mPaul like this.