Sleep deprivation impairs the suppression of unwanted thoughts

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Deddog, Dec 1, 2020.

1. Deddog

Deddog Fapstronaut

Have you ever wondered if sleep deprivation affects your abilities to control unwanted thoughts, which might lead to PMO and relapse? Well, here is a study made recently that sheds some light on this topic:
    https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/fu...-GGKjpJ0d2ejW6FPgjWXxEOw2Enu8f4CPXKs08yUby1U&

Short summary if you don't have time to read the entire thing:

Marcus O. Harrington and his team decided to test the hypothesis that sleep deprivation can affect thought control problems.

Two control groups were gathered. In one of them, the participants slept all night, in the other - not a moment. Their task was to suppress negative and emotionally neutral scenes in confrontation with reminders.

It was more difficult for those who were not sleeping to take control of their thoughts, while those who were fully rested were able to fully remain themselves in control.

The observations show the important role of sleep in maintaining mental stability - it was confirmed that its absence interferes with the work of the prefrontal cortex and the medial temporal lobe, resulting in problems with memory and control of emotions.

Sleep well tonight Fapstronauts!
    [​IMG]

2. MEGEDAGIK

MEGEDAGIK Fapstronaut

I totally agree with that, when I get two nights of bad sleep in a row, the third days I’m more subject to have intrusuve thought that I can’t handle and it brings me to axiety that I can’t control either so there’s chances it ended up in a panick attack. That is for me though, so I try to don’t nap during the day (it’s hard after a BJJ training) then yes, do some physical efforts during my day, read books a bit just before bed (screen are not bringning sleep) and eat well. My training diet lifestyle is back and it’s simple half of my plate are vegetables, the other half of the half is protein(chicken, beef, pork, fish, whatever you want man) and the last half of the half is carbs of your choice. Cut sugars as much as you can too. It’s all simple stuff that helps me having a real good night of sleep so the day after is much easier to handle if something “wrong” happen. Very nice article mate thank you very much

Aliman8, InTheWilderness and Deddog like this.
  3. Not sleeping right messes with your focus

Deddog likes this.
  4. InTheWilderness

InTheWilderness Fapstronaut

Nice to see another research paper confirming biblical truth. Just want to throw this in here since it’s relevant to the discussion.

Deddog likes this.