1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Would you take a libido-killer pill?

Discussion in 'Compulsive Sexual Behavior' started by Ekhangel, Mar 12, 2021.

1. Ekhangel

Ekhangel Fapstronaut

With the advancement of medicine, if you were offered a "libido prevention" pill that eliminates your libido entirely and doesn't cause any side effects, such as depression, loss of self-esteem, energy levels, healthy drive to do everyday stuff, reduced sense of masculinity etc. - would you go for it?

I, for instance, am currently in a situation where me and Wife (with two beautiful sons on the record already) are going through some relationship issues which are not critical, but which detract her from intimacy. She's currently on contraceptives which I suspect has significantly reduced her libido, though there's no definite proof for that, especially since she doesn't like to talk about those things. At present it's hard to actually tell whether she doesn't want to have sex a) due to exhaustion related with caring for our two infant sons (sure: probable, but for some reasons I don't quite believe this is the case) b) due to the occasional conflicts between us, that we're trying to prevent but still happen from time to time (sure, probable: but we've had far worse conflicts in the past and would regularly sleep with each other nonetheless) c) due to the birth control pills which are known to have similar effects in some occasions

So, after endless conversations on how I would love to restore intimacy in our life, and her reluctance to even discuss this subject or just nodding affirmatively and then changing the topic, I tend to think occasionally: why not just kill my libido deliberately with some chemicals and wait until everything in our relationship stabilizes: the kids go to the nursery school and we finally learn to live with each other in blissful peace. Then I would just discontinue administration. The question is: if I took those pills, and provided there would indeed be no side effects, would I even care about sex anymore enough to decide to drop them? There's so many things in life to do other than having sex anyway, such as raising children, focusing on work, sports, personal projects, some casual entertainment, developing close spiritual relationships with people, and all that.

Do you think a pill of this sort could ever be created anyway? Would it become popular among married couples and people with a sense of hopelessness about their chances of ever finding a partner? I've read something about this sort of medication for sex offenders, but I'm not sure if it's effective.

I'm sure many of you have hated yourselves for your uncontrollable sex drive - myself included. And yet, the very notion of "libido" originates from Freud who perceived it as the essential drive to live your life and achieve anything. So it seems eliminating your libido for good is tantamount to eliminating your very essence of existence.

Legal notice: I have no affiliations with the pharmaceutical industry whatsoever.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2021
  2. OhWhenThe

OhWhenThe Fapstronaut

If it had no side effects and was reversible(once you stop taking it) then yeah. Libido is of no use in my position and only causes me harm.

3. Lilla_My

Lilla_My Fapstronaut

They exist already. Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) will quite potently put an end to your libido if taken in substantial doses. The effect goes away fairly quickly after the regimen is stopped.

milarepa999 and +TenPercent like this.
  4. Ekhangel

Ekhangel Fapstronaut

Ok, From quick googling those seem to be anti-depressants and probably on prescription.

5. locomia

locomia Fapstronaut

take the blackpill buddy boyo

Addictedaddict and milarepa999 like this.
  6. I wouldn't take the pill. Screw that. Sounds like taking the easy way out.

Supination likes this.
  7. PeterGrip

PeterGrip Fapstronaut

You must be frustrated about your situation, and I'm sorry for that. From your response in the other thread, and what you write here, I wouldn't know what to say to change things between you and your wife.

If sexual drive is the very essence of life, I have absolutely no understanding of. But I do believe it is a source of energy which you may pull from continuously. So I would definitely say you should attempt to harness that energy instead of trying to kill it. I just caught myself thinking: "I wonder what a life without sex would be like?", but the answer is obvious. I'm living it right now (whether I choose to or not, I'm not trying to justify involuntary celibacy)! My point is, is it so hard to imagine a life without sex? That is what is occurring most of the time. You want to have sex to bond with your partner. I get that, that is lovely. But what if that is merely a bonus? It sounds like you have a desire hidden beyond the act of bonding. You'll have to correct my if I'm way off track here. But if that is the case with you, then what are those desires grounded in, and what is your motivation for going through with it? Excited to hear how you feel, if you want to talk about, because right now it seems you'd rather discuss solutions than what you actually experience, but maybe the solution is grounded in your emotions.

Lilla_My likes this.
  8. Supination

Supination Fapstronaut

Nah, I'm done messing with my Libido.

bjorkstadski222 likes this.
  9. locomia

locomia Fapstronaut

bro take the blackpill bro

10. Had zero effect on my libido and I took a substantial dose

11. Supination

Supination Fapstronaut

I'm confused. What?

12. locomia

locomia Fapstronaut

youre coping bro just google it bro

13. Addictedaddict

Addictedaddict Fapstronaut

If it killed my sex drive and loneliness, I’d take it.

14. I take antidepressants and fucking hate them! No, don't do it if you cannot have therapy.
    Why would you kill your libido?! I wouldn't! Kill the addiction!

15. bjorkstadski222

bjorkstadski222 Fapstronaut

Smoke some cannabis once in a while.