1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Its my birthday and I cried :(

Discussion in 'Loneliness' started by Scarab Beetle, Sep 29, 2021.

1. Scarab Beetle

Scarab Beetle Fapstronaut

I'm in brother

2. Lucia

Lucia Fapstronaut

I know it's a bit late, but happy birthday to you! I'm also turning 31 this year. At least it's better than turning 30! (Don't know how you experienced that)
    Losing your business would throw anyone for a loop. So sorry this happened to you!
    The thoughts you have sound very familiar. When I'm feeling lonely, I also get frustrated with other people. What helps me immensely, are two things. First, to befriend these feelings of loneliness, anger and frustration by sitting with them and really feeling them. Then you start to notice that although the feeling is a part of you, it's not you. It's an emotion that will come and go, just like any other emotion. The second thing I would advise is to think of ways you can reach out to other people. Tell yourself that you are going to start from the mindset that everyone is doing the best they can. If they are not contacting you as much as you would like, they are probably busy with work, or their kids, or maybe they are going through something really difficult. So try to reach out to others yourself, and tell yourself that your initiative will be well-received. Keep track in a notebook (or something) of your successes with other people. Keep in mind that your brain is skewed towards negative experiences. Make a concious effort to remember the positive. When you are feeling resentful or burned out, take a break and go back to feeling your emotions and accepting them. Hope this helps and wishing you the best!

Scarab Beetle, Talz and 88991s like this.
  3. Scarab Beetle

Many many thanks Lucia for your sincere wishes :)

I am familiar with befriending my emotions and being at ease and comfortable around them. In fact, like I posted initially, I used to meditate a lot and one of the first things I was taught in meditation was to accept your thoughts and be at ease with them and it helped me through some difficult times. But the level of distress and isolation my mind is dealing with now, I started to slowly notice that meditation was not helping me like it used to. Maybe my mind had gotten used to the feeling or was slowly desensitized to it, I really don't know. I still meditate and exercise a lot but now I notice that these things don't affect me physically or mentally like they used to before that. I finally found this fact to be true that until and unless your mind is not healthy your body will not absorb the benefits of any healing you are taking.

I also tried turning the tables around from me getting in touch with my friends rather than they getting in touch with me. Like you said, and I absolutely 100% agree with you that yes maybe they have their own circumstances be it work, family with which they have gotten themselves busy and I absolutely don't blame them for it. Its just that when I see them posting photos online enjoying with other friends, I get this nagging thought in my mind like "Right you don't have time to even answer my calls and there you are partying with your "new" friends". I know it sounds childish and immature but then again, loneliness does this to you sometimes.

Four days ago, I helped an old lady, probably in her 80's out in the street. She was selling small stuff sitting on the roadside and I couldn't help but feel pity for her. Her face was the epitome of sadness and depression. I gave whatever money I had with me in my wallet and gave it to her and I noticed a sincere, genuine and most caring smile on her face which I won't ever forget. That was the only good thing which happened with me over the past couple of months and I really felt good after doing that. I wish I could help people like that.

Thanks for your wishes and good luck to you as well :)

Lucia and 88991s like this.
  4. 88991s

88991s Fapstronaut

I cried. :’). This is so inspiring. Now I wanna help people too. Thanks buddy.

I don’t know how to help you but seems like you are mature enough to help yourself. You are one of the strongest person I met in this forum. Seriously if I were you I would have done something to myself already.

Scarab Beetle likes this.
  5. Scarab Beetle

You are welcome bud. It just happened out of the blue and I was supposedly at the right place at the right time. I usually never go from that particular route. It was like I was destined to meet her as I got diverted from my usual route due to some disturbance up ahead.

That incident did alleviate me from the low state I was previously going through. I relapsed today and even though I should have felt guilty and miserable, I felt happy because I had helped a person in need. Just the thought that there are people who are doing way worse than me in one way or another that I could not even begin to imagine was an eye opener. Earlier, I imagined people who were doing better than me, friends, family, etc but this was the total opposite experience. For now, I have been feeling much better since this incident but I cannot guarantee how my mindset will change in the long run as these incidents are very rare. I will do my best though to be strong. You stay strong as well my dear friend and do not think about "doing something" to yourself. If you need someone to talk to, hit me up anytime. Take care bud.

88991s likes this.
  6. Lucia

Lucia Fapstronaut

Of course loneliness is a very difficult emotion and there are no easy solutions. What works for some, doesn't work for others. You seem like a very kind person and I think anyone would be lucky to have you as a friend. Personally I don't have social media anymore exactly because seeing only the good in other people's lives (and that's mainly what they post) can get you down about your own life. I do notice a reduction in my stress level since then.

7. Scarab Beetle

I definitely agree there. I used to have a facebook account in my college days a few years back but deleted it due to spam issues. I have never been a social media user and have never used Instagram or Twitter. I only use Whatsapp as it is important to me from a family emergency point of view. I noticed that the “status” which people post their trigger my loneliness even more. The best thing I can do right now is to ignore them and not even click on that page.

I am starting to go back to reading books and picking up Chess once again. Who knows, maybe helping that old lady may rekindle some kind of awakening in me to get back up again and start walking. I am still alone and lonely but my depressive thoughts have taken a step back, for now at least.

Thanks for your wonderful advice Lucia :) really much appreciated.

88991s and Lucia like this.

8. Sorry to hear your going threw a rough time, this was me over the summer and one bad thing lead to another. Along with the birthday wishes, honestly I’d rather have a loyal friend then just someone who wishes once a year. Especially this year I didn’t reply to any on Social Media and I feel like a jackass for doing it. But is it worth anything when you never talk to be considered as friends? Im not sure..

A friendship is an on going relationship in which two communicate, not a once a year birthday pit stop. You have every right to be upset about it.

Im not sure what to say but continue meditation ‍♀️. Maybe listen to love frequencies to help your mind and body to ease and slow down and heal. I know there’s online doctors but im not sure how much that would help and cost, but remember there’s always this forum as well.

9. Scarab Beetle

Absolutely true. I am done being needy and wanting someone to wish me and make me feel special. It does not work that way and I was an idiot to even think about it. Hope now I can improve upon it.

I have been doing meditation, reading books and everything and they used to help me, but not anymore. I am still doing it but I think my mind has gotten numb to everything so maybe I need to start something new. For example- I picked up Chess a month back and I noticed I have an igniting interest in the game so maybe I'll start from there. Take on step at a time. But I still have to conquer my loneliness and depression soon because I know if I don't I'll lose interest in whatever new thing I start and it'll be back to the same old cycle of crying and self pity.

TrueSaiyan2.0 and 88991s like this.

10. My friend I’m in the same boat. My brain is more numb to making music which is a strong passion for me. I’ve never been able to complete a full track, just close enough. I’ve got great ideas, melodies down, but I freeze and loose interest after a few days. Just not sure why. Maybe it’s not my calling.

I’d keep going on meditation still. It is very healthy to re wire your brain and breath. I’ve watched a few sadhaguru videos on YouTube and they are enlightening. He is very good at explaining things more in depth.

if you want we could play some chess I took it up last summer but I’m awful haha

there’s a few online sites where you can start games. :)

88991s likes this.
  11. Scarab Beetle

Sure brother, would love to play with you. I play on Chess.com. It is an excellent site where there are videos and training for beginners, intermediate and advanced players. You can register on that site for free if you haven’t already. PM me your username so that I can send you a friend request there. Then we can play an unrated friendly game :) . That game has so much potential and a lot to learn.

88991s likes this.
  12. MyNameMike

MyNameMike Fapstronaut

happy birthday brother

13. TheLightOne

TheLightOne Fapstronaut

U can try professional help online

14. Scarab Beetle

Thanks brother :)

15. Scarab Beetle

Thanks for the advice. I will definitely consider it in the future, although I don't know exactly how online professional care works but I am still glad that its an option available should I ever need it.

16. Sir Wanksaloot

Sir Wanksaloot Fapstronaut

Hey man, happy to see that you are talking with the guys and I hope it helps you in this tough phase of life.
    Personally what I can really recommend is reading into the teachings of stoicism.
    Ryan Holiday has written some great books about the philosophy and its writers.
    He also has a good YouTube channel.
    Maybe that will help you lighten the burden a bit.
    It certainly helped me in tough times.
    Wishing you the best!

17. UncleBarnacle

UncleBarnacle Fapstronaut

I am late but I am sorry, and happy belated birthday, brother.

My birthday was last April and I spent it alone in a hotel so I wouldn't have to spend it at home. Took a weapon with me, loaded it and pointed it at my head, but of course didn't do it.

It was probably the worst-feeling birthday of all time. But it passed.

The next day I rode a horse and had a nice breakfast, and found the courage to carry on.

"I walk a lonely street."

I tried to remember my mother's words - she died three years ago - whenever I would complain to her. "That's the way you feel right now." I really didn't like that she said that, but she was always right.

Miss that lady...she was my best friend.

Chin up, I think. I really have nothing else but my words, and hearing you, and sharing back.

lococontigo and Scarab Beetle like this.
  18. Scarab Beetle

Hey thank you for your book recommendation. i never heard of Stoicism but I read about it a little bit on Wikipedia and now you have me intrigued. This definitely looks like something which can help me in the long run. I really need something like this in my life right now. If I cannot stop the pain, I can begin to embrace it and be comfortable with it, and that's saying a lot. A new journey of self improvement can begin.

19. Scarab Beetle

That is such a beautiful quote. I never ever thought about it this way. Just the realization that we are living in the "now" and it'll eventually pass is the biggest single most valuable advice a person could ever give me. Your mother was really a treasured human being. I am so sorry for your loss. I am pretty sure you spent lots of beautiful memories with her and I am glad she gave you the courage to move on when you were at the most lowest points in your life. I mean, pointing a loaded weapon at your head and not doing it is one of the strongest and bravest acts I can think of. You are a very resilient person. Thank you for your encouragement and a most beautiful advice from your mother :)

By the way, its never too late to wish someone a Happy Birthday :) so Happy Birthday to you as well brother

20. Scarab Beetle

She was one of the most beautiful persons I never had the honor of knowing. She must have been a joy to been around, the way you told me she used to play classical music in her house makes me feel like she was an angel in human form who came to Earth to spread happiness. I am so happy that she is finally resting at the exact same spot where you had your childhood memories as well. That's what makes it sacred, that's what makes it precious. Personally, dying in your sleep or just immediately dropping dead is the most peaceful way for a person to go. She was truly blessed to go that way. I agree.

88991s and BoraxKarloff like this.