What does masculinity mean?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by sonic123rainbow, Jan 3, 2022.

Tags:
  1. I have the idea that it means making few key decisions and sticking with them through per aspera ad astra(fancy way of saying: "through hardships to the stars"). Masculinity = consistency with choices that are rather hard to follow for anybody(more masculine the more consistent you are and more harder to follow decisions you make). Could be wrong tho. What are your opinions on meaning of masculinity?

2. I remember getting involved in a thread similar to this one which turned into a shit storm. I think I will be avoiding this one too.

3. Quezatolah

Quezatolah Fapstronaut

Masculinity is about risk-taking, there is no way to know for sure what the future is going to be like, whoever is willing to say "fuck it" and go in is someone who is masculine.

4. True too, but is taking all risks possible masculine or only taking calculated risks(taking couple of key decisions and going through)?

Hope you know what a big storm you are missing.

Quezatolah likes this.
  5. True what you speak, yet masculinity has uncertain meaning as it is defined.
    Dictionary definition: qualities or attributes regarded as characteristic of men.
    I cannot figure out what quality is the ultimate masculine quality from this.

6. Quezatolah

Quezatolah Fapstronaut

Calculated risk is where it's at, risk taking needs to be tempered with logic.

7. Correct indeed, so masculinity(specified definition(which is probs not totally correct still)) is about following own's reason(logic) and going through with it no matter what others say or own feelings want you to do.

8. bradmax

bradmax Fapstronaut

9. "Cannot cook or clean" and "no domestic skills" as immature traits for being feminine made me laugh! This was definitely written by a man anyway.

10. Ye, maybe what we think is masculine and feminine is simply some cultural lie we tell ourselves, yet it must have deeper than cultural roots, since evolution have made us men and women(masculine and feminine(or something else)).

11. R2DToy

R2DToy Fapstronaut

Yeah this is definitely a BS description for masculinity and feminine and I hope no one else falls for it.

We are ALL men and women with common feelings and desires. I don't think there's any real fixed description for being a 'masculine' man.

There are of course many traits and appearances that are desirable for a man like that tall, muscular square faced man who doesn't flinch when you point a gun at him. You know, that one man who is an 'alpha' goes his own way and doesn't care about other mens feelings and is always on top of things. Of course, he always gets the hottest, blonde thin big boobed women and in the end, he takes out all the bad guys and the evil leader. That's right, this 'alpha masculine man' only exist in movies.

There is no clear definition of masculinity, there's only what YOU want and your ability to get it and be who you want to be.

The Passenger likes this.

12. Isn't sigma who doesn't cary actually about anything and alpha the guy who doesn't show he's feeling, yet ultimately is socially responsible?

13. R2DToy

R2DToy Fapstronaut

Haha, could be, I don't know, the point is though, all these definitions are just really fixed. We all have our traits, good ones and bad ones, there is not a single person that could be defined as this or that, because that person who fits the description perfectly doesn't exist.

14. I think we should aspire for something, yet never reach it.

15. bradmax

bradmax Fapstronaut

Both men & women have both a masculine and feminine side so it could just be all around overall or just specific traits that are considered more valuable than it’s negative counterpart traits.

also depends on your environment, culture, upbringing, social construct etc A lot plays into what a masculine man is supposed to be Just as a lot plays into what a femininity is supposed to be.

16. bradmax

bradmax Fapstronaut

There are 2 types of Alphas that are mainstreamed in the western world

Trope Alpha - Christian Grey/Patrick Bateman type, 50 shades/American Psycho

Dope Alpha - Batman/Dom Torreto(fast furious)

Since todays society is Hypersexualized most women seek out the Trope Alpha