1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Falling back to old habits

Discussion in 'Loneliness' started by DeeJ4y, Mar 27, 2022.

1. DeeJ4y

DeeJ4y Fapstronaut

I have tried cutting down PMO use for years now. During the last 2 years I have gone at it even harder and got some good streaks. The start of this year has not been good. Maybe I have taken this progress I made and think that now I can do it without effort. I know my biggest trigger is loneliness and being rejected. Usually after those I tend to relapse. I have put a relationship first since this year started, not consciously but looking back at it now I have tried my best to find a partner. It just sucks being alone, I am not depressed, at least as far as I know. I have had depressed phases in my past so it is not like I hate life or anything. I am fairly positive minded now that I think about it. But what causes me to write this is frustration of relapsing.

I know to relapse is one of the most counter productive ways of dealing with anything. And I know so many disadvantages that PMO causes - that I can physically sense in me. Still I do it. I dont know if I am just not focused enough. And what I should do. I know how to be busy and a lot of ways of dealing with this addiction. I just tend to forget or dont feel like doing them sometimes, thinking that I am stronger and that I do not need them.

I felt like writing something here. I guess hearing others opinions could help as well.

I know there is no magic pill out of this. And I probably need to wrestle a lot with this addiction. Or there could be a phase where I do not even feel like PMOing that I have had in the past. Only bad thing is that I only have those phases when I fully invest in my self. Only care about my workout, diet etc. I guess going back to that would be nice. I do not know why I think that if I focus on my self, I will not find a partner. It just feels like when I am not trying actively, I have so slim chances of meeting a girl. Or if I do meet one I just become focused on her instead of my progress. And if things do not workout boom PMO. I guess it is a problem in its own to become focused in a girl, dont know tbh. Maybe it would be nice to hear some opinions on this. I know there are a lot of ways to approach this, so if this does sparkle up a conversation I hope that there will not be negativity bashing others opinions.

2. Julian Baker

Julian Baker Distinguished Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

Relapses are part and parcel of the unfolding process. They hold some really important lessons, so maybe you can learn to take from them?

Maybe you could also try taking more of a 'middle path' approach on things for a while, instead of 'trying hard' to do things, or feeling you need to be like this or that. What about not trying so hard. Be a little more sabai sabai, instead of needs must. I say that because I've found that I get all stressed about not being able to make the changes I want and expect of myself, but all I do is get more stressed out and feel like an even bigger failure. I place an unnecessary pressure on myself. It's the perfectionist in me, but it's dysfunctional.

The fact is, a situation is a situation because of the way perceive it to be. So the biggest change has to come in changing the beliefs you're holding about a situation. I just feel I am so much more happy since learning to let go of certain expectations and unnecessary pressures.

3. DeeJ4y

DeeJ4y Fapstronaut

Thank you for the reply! You are right, I should get back to learning from relapses instead of being disappointed for them to happen.

I also really like the middle path idea. That is something I should start doing. Thank you for reminding me about it.

I too tend to go all out and give pressure to get everything done fast and "perfectly". I should try to be more aware of situations and go with the flow.

God bless you.

4. Julian Baker

Julian Baker Distinguished Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

And you my friend.

Fantareality and DeeJ4y like this.
  5. silentmike

silentmike Fapstronaut

I suggest as a first step to entirely stop watching P. - if you must then dont worry and do M. but not to the P. If you must then fantasize but its better to release tension with M. while not thinking about P. or sex at all. If you have a partner then its better to ask for help with it.

You probably think a lot about P. or fantasize about it. This is where it starts, then you want to release and watch P. Its very difficult to stop fantasizing, but your fantasies starts from watching P. It will be easier to stop them when you will have a very long break from P.

Winning with PMO is a hard work, and thats why its so rewarding. Start liking it, its a fight - its what we humans were made for but many of us forgot that fact. Fight will bring you dopamine boost with a small wining battles. It wont be such a huge doses of dopamine which you get with P. but with time your body will get used to lower dopamine doses. This period is extremely difficult to survive. Good luck!

6. DeeJ4y

DeeJ4y Fapstronaut

Thanks for the reply and good luck to you as well!
    I personally dont think that I fantasize much but maybe I could be more aware and see if I do. I guess looking back now to the situation I was in when I wrote that I just was not doing much and spent too much time online. Its not like now I am cured again but I feel better. Hopefully in the future when I am facing a similar situation I know how to deal with it better. God bless you.

7. Vir85685

Vir85685 Fapstronaut

I think above advices are all you need for problems with PMO, so let's talk about relationship problems.

You said that if you don't pursue a girl actively you won't get one. Well that's true. It does take time to find the right partner. But it's actually better to work on yourself along the way. I don't have much dating experience, actually any dating experience so might not be qualified to give you advise. But i think girls, and i mean girls who want to be in a serious relationship really like a guy with good hobbies and a GOAL in life.

If your goal is to have a great partner , you won't be attracting a serious relationship. Even if they get impressed by you that will wear of shortly. So focusing more on yourself actually attracts more girls. That's what I think actually.
    So work on Building hobbies that you like in your free time. Who knows your soulmate might have same hobbies.

8. DeeJ4y

DeeJ4y Fapstronaut

thanks for the reply, i agree with you. i have been focusing on my hobbies, education and work as well as a healthy lifestyle as well as actively searching for a girlfriend. sofar i havent found the one. life is good as it is but of course it would be nice to find my future wife. still i have some things ineed to work on more to become a better person.

9. Vir85685

Vir85685 Fapstronaut

Yup, it's not just you who is looking for right person, she is too. So become the right person. & good luck.

DeeJ4y likes this.
  10. DeeJ4y

DeeJ4y Fapstronaut

cheers bro, good luck to you too!

Vir85685 likes this.