Need Advice

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by 3nigma, Apr 30, 2023.

1. 3nigma

3nigma Fapstronaut

My life is a mess. I'm in my late 30's and I still live at home. I'm disabled and I don't have a job. I have severe mental and chronic physical health problems. I've only had two girlfriends in my life; both relationships were disasters. I'm lazy as shit. I can barely muster the motivation to take a shower, let alone get a job or go back to school. My life is fucked.

Anyway, I'd like to get out of this morass. I'd like to be smart and energetic and perhaps even physically fit but the last thing I want to do is work out so please don't tell me to exercise.

Anyway, what can I do to improve my life? How can I be less miserable? Do you guys have any book or program suggestions?

Thanks,
    Jarvy

2. Vir85685

Vir85685 Fapstronaut

Hey, I don't think one book Or program will make that much of a difference. I don't know your condition and I am no expert in health so I don't know if this will help. Even if it doesn't help you, I am sure it will point you in the right direction.

Books - Never be sick again, Fit for life.

I haven't read the second book and only read half of the first one.

Never be sick again - the concept is as follow.

There is only one disease, malfunction of cells in our body.
    There are 2 causes of disease, deficiency and toxicity. Either our cells doesn't have what it needs to function properly or they get toxicated because of our poor health choices.

I have also read many blogs, audible podcast series, YouTube videos, and a few books that also point in the similar direction.

You can check it out and decide for yourself. I am sure it will at least help in some way.

jarvyjarvison likes this.
  3. Oceanman1

Oceanman1 Fapstronaut

You can write your 10 things you would want to accomplish within a set day ( be reasonable) from those ten circle the 2 most important to you or the 2 that if you would start right now it would have the most impact in your life
    Then work on those 2 if you have to much on your plate then only focus on one

4. Vir85685

Vir85685 Fapstronaut

That's 80/20 rule, right?

Don80 likes this.
  5. Oceanman1

Oceanman1 Fapstronaut

No monkey D luffy, that is just an instruction step by step it tackles being unsure, bored/trapped in the gutter, desire, and your focus/attention.

6. Vir85685

Vir85685 Fapstronaut

Sorry, but i don't know what the difference is. The 80/20 rule also means to focus on the 20% of tasks that actually make a difference.

7. Oceanman1

Oceanman1 Fapstronaut

It's OK miguara , and I haven't looked to much it's 80/20 principle I think it also means 80 percent of your results come from 20 percent of your best efficient and effective work

Vir85685 likes this.
  8. Oceanman1

Oceanman1 Fapstronaut

Yes could be I'm not to sure haven't really paid much attention to that principle

Vir85685 likes this.
  9. Vir85685

Vir85685 Fapstronaut

Oh, you can also choose any other famous book on self improvement. Just make sure to find what you like doing and try turning it into a skill.

There are many great books for every kind of people. If you are interested in something specific, just tell me and i will help you find it.

Ps. Sorry, I am mostly into book reading right now so I can only suggest books.

10. 3nigma

3nigma Fapstronaut

I started reading CAN'T HURT ME by David Goggins, mostly because it was cheap on Kindle. I really don't like it so far so I'm looking for another book. I've read 7 Habits in the past but I never had much success with that one.

11. InappropriateUsername

InappropriateUsername Fapstronaut

Got a program for ya. It’s called MYFA, which is an acronym for the basic principle upon which you base your self-improvement journey.

Move
    Your
    Fucking
    Ass

Need to take a shower but don’t feel like it? Too bad—Move Your Fucking Ass to the bathroom and do it. While you’re there, shave, trim your nails, comb your hair. Then MYFA to the closet, put on clean, pressed clothes and go get a haircut.

Don’t feel like exercising? Move Your Fucking Ass and do something.

Don’t feel like school? Move Your Fucking Ass to the laptop and register for 1 class. Something you’re interested in.

No work? Move Your Fucking Ass to a job site and start applying.

You know what you need to do, you just lack the motivation. Do the easiest thing first and then pick something else. Stop letting yourself be lazy.

12. Vir85685

Vir85685 Fapstronaut

Well, you said you don't want to exercise physically, so how about mentally? Have you tried meditation or something similar?
    You can also choose a hobby that keeps you mentally engaged rather than physically?

Also, you don't necessarily have to choose a self-help book. There are fun fiction books too. Like Sherlock Holmes, or my current favorite the alchemist.

natsukashii75 likes this.
  13. 3nigma

3nigma Fapstronaut

Does anyone else have any advice? I'm really struggling. I'm mentally ill and my hormones are all messed up from the medication. I slept most of the day today. I'm reading Unf*ck Yourself by Gary John Bishop. It's helping a little, I guess.

14. natsukashii

natsukashii Fapstronaut

I reccomend you pick up a fiction book. A good fantasy novel (or other genre that interests you) can really inspire you. A lot more than any self improvement book can in my opinion. I recommend The Name of the Wind and The Way of Kings (stormlight archive) but find something that interests you. Also watch this video .

You might be in a tough spot right now, but know things can get better. But it really is up to you to put in the work to do so. Just start small and build your way up.

15. mazda_mx5

mazda_mx5 Fapstronaut

For me, Stoic philosophy has helped me to feel a bit more motivated about life again and about making myself "useful". I would recommend to read the Meditations by Marcus Aurelius, and hopefully you can take something from that or make a plan for yourself. Good luck and stay strong!

16. 3nigma

3nigma Fapstronaut

I'm reading The Spy Who Came in from the Cold right now. It's pretty good but a little bleak. I was also watching Mr. Robot as well but, again, a little depressing. As far as fantasy goes, I could always pick up Lord of the Rings again.

I made a practice of listing to Stoic quotes on YouTube for a little while. It helped. Maybe I'll pick that up again.

17. mazda_mx5

mazda_mx5 Fapstronaut

There's also a podcast called Practical Stoicism which picks out a meditation each time and is pretty nice in my opinion.

18. fredisthebes

fredisthebes Fapstronaut

Going to need a little more to give relevant/helpful advice.

What is your disability? Does it affect your ability to work/get a job? Does it affect your mood and/or energy levels? Does it prevent you starting an exercise program?

Also tell me about your living at home situation. With your parents right? Anyone else? Are they helpful/can they be involved or be supportive in any way? Or do they mostly want to leave you alone? Either way has pros and cons, just curious.

If your disability allows it, start with the physical. Healthy eating/drinking (cut down booze/cigs/drugs if applicable), healthy sleep routine and healthy exercise.
    For exercise read 'being active' - it means doing things most of the day, walking to the shops, doing some light housework, whatever your level is just meet it and try and do a little more. It could mean standing instead of sitting. It could mean sitting instead of lying down.

Kierann likes this.