1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Improving meditation quality

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by DeepRecovery, Aug 24, 2023.

1. DeepRecovery

DeepRecovery Fapstronaut

I hope this can be used to discuss quality over quantity even if some time measurements are practical. I've been doing 40 minutes a day but find myself favoring 2x20 instead of one 40 minute sit. I also wonder about whether lunch time might be too drowsy and/or if I should engage in a self guided sit rather than a totally silent one, so no listening to any audio but remembering the outline of a script as I move through the categories, it may be interesting how much time I end up doing with that.

NF SINCE BIRTH likes this.
  2. Personally I'd prefer doing a single session, but my problem is my foot falls asleep after 20 mins., so maybe I should try your 2x20 idea. One benefit perhaps would be a chance to do two different styles, each one tailored to how you generally feel at that time of day.

NF SINCE BIRTH likes this.
  3. Max666

Max666 Fapstronaut

Ive been doing meditation for years now and I find self-guided to be ineffective. The actual approach should be a personal thing imo and you may find it varies from day to day. Also I wouldn't use audio or mantra, at least not at an advanced level.
    There are books out there that offer suggestions on breathing techniques but the outcome is always the same - to be present. So the ritual isn't that important.

I find getting myself in the mood first before I practice is the most important thing, rather than have a hundred thoughts bouncing around and then do it. For example just sitting and looking at some object for a while so I can feel present. You see when you close your eyes the mind can get confused given it's still daytime, then thoughts can run wild. This is what most people struggle with. So preparation is key. Personally I wouldn't do it at lunch time either but late after noon. And you say it takes you 20mins at a time, I can't imagine doing it in 20mins. It takes me an hour.

Here's a book I read that gives a guide on breathing techniques:
    https://www.amazon.com/Mindfulness-Breathing-Manual-Serious-Beginners/dp/0861711114
    The terminology is a bit strange and it's modeled on Anapanasati style.

There's a mediation guru, John Butler who's written books at a more simplistic and philosophical level. I've watched a lot of his videos and they've helped be demystify it if you're interested.
    https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritualUnfoldment
    I find having an understanding at a deeper level is essential. Understanding for example what a pure state of consciousness actually is compared to what we think is real, ie: our Ego. It's our ego that causes all the tension and unrest.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2023
  4. Try so called "mini meditations". For beginners, the biggest issue is to make your mind shut up. Your mind have such a momentum that instead of trying to focus for 20 minutes it may be a better idea to just decide to take 3 deep breaths multiple times during the day. This will create some space for you and is a great beginning.

Guided meditations can be helpful in the very beginning but the best thing is to not rely on them for too long. It will be harder to meditate deeply if you only rely on guided meditations. It is a good way to learn how it works though.

Buy a copy of "The power of now". Read one page in it before sitting down. I find it really helpful. It contains a lot of pointers. "stillness speaks" and "Tao Te Ching" are also good books. "A course in miracles" is actually a step by step guide you could use. I think it contains 800 lessons or so. If you stick with it for 800 days, you should have at least grasped what meditation is all about.

I recommend not lying down too much when meditating. The lotus position and half lotus is considered very stable positions. You will be more focused than in any other position. Lying down makes it harder to not wander away into daydream or even falling asleep completely. If you have a lot of neck/back pain like me you may not have any other option anyways. It is better to meditate for 3 minutes and focus 100% than to push yourself trough 20 minutes just for the sake of it. It is better to meditate 3 minutes five times during the day than doing 20 minutes once. True meditation is just about getting skilled in letting go. Letting go of everything. Even the desire to reach any particular state.

5. DeepRecovery

DeepRecovery Fapstronaut

I think it's also a matter of working with a common language without being too general. For example what map might someone use for different levels of consciousness? And like for NFSB's post above I've read all of those books though not all of ACIM, and someone drawn to Tolles work might be interested in working with the Pain body and so forth, there's a different context and a structure for different types of teachings.

I realize even with some experience especially on a forum like this you have to adjust for people with varying levels of experience, so to keep it simple that's why I thought of self guided meditation. Listening to a recording is just being guided by a recording, and when I am leading a guided meditation for a small group I think of it as a live interaction even though people are silent, I pay attention to how much they fidget and how they're breathing and stuff. Anyway self guided would imply someone remembers the steps, but I think it can be helpful in that they maintain awareness and not just be absorbed in a particular experience, something as simple as focusing on the breath first, then the whole body, or different categories of people for the brahmaviharas - not huge lists but honestly focusing on each part of the process while remaining aware it's a part of a whole.