Need advice about social anxiety.

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by SunGazer, Jan 29, 2024.

1. SunGazer

SunGazer Fapstronaut

Hello all,

I’d like to get some outside perspective on a situation I’m dealing with at work. I started a new job last year and in order to try to fit in and make new friends with coworkers I joined a work fantasy football league.

After the draft, I found out that the supposed “punishment” for last place in the league is going on a date to hooters with a blow up doll while the rest of the guys in the league take pictures and laugh at you. I’m a pretty shy, quiet guy so the thought of doing this with coworkers I barely know was a nightmare to me. Well I ended up not saying anything and just hoping I didn’t end up getting last. You guys can probably guess what ended up happening! Lucky me got last in the league after the regular season. (Even though I finished 7th after the playoffs, but they say that doesn’t count).

I ended up going back and forth with myself if I would suck it up and do the “punishment” or not. I basically had a social anxiety crisis and ended up deciding I wasn’t going to do it. I even spoke to a counselor from the 988 suicide hotline about it.

My question for you guys is am I being a sore loser about this? Should I have handled this situation differently? I hate being the guy that doesn’t go through with my end of a bet/deal but I didn’t even know about the blow up doll date “punishment” before I joined. Now I’m feeling a lot of awkwardness and judgment at work because of this. Sometimes it’s miserable being in the office now. Maybe it’s all in my head but still. I’ve also been looking for new jobs ever since this stupid situation. Tried to fit in and ended up getting screwed. Please let me know what y’all think.

2. kaotic

kaotic Fapstronaut

Going to Hooter's with a blow-up doll isn't that bad. Also sounds like something the restaurant would not even allow inside their building in the first place.

Wolves of Wisdom likes this.
  3. I would stand my ground on that. Why do people have to have stupid things for losers? It's absolutely stupid to me. I'm sorry you're looking for a new job because of that situation.

SunGazer likes this.
  4. SunGazer

SunGazer Fapstronaut

Agreed, I just wanted to join to have fun.

5. SunGazer

SunGazer Fapstronaut

I guess it isn’t that bad, but I got super anxious about it. What made it worse was they started telling other people in the office about it. I was getting comments from people that weren’t even in the league.

6. SunGazer

SunGazer Fapstronaut

Good point, it’s actually made me realize I don’t have to try to fit in with everybody. I’ve always kinda naturally been a loner/outcast.

✘ ✘ likes this.
  7. LostSon41

LostSon41 Fapstronaut

Idk dude I don’t even think that’s social anxiety, that’s just being normal. I don’t have too many problems with meeting new people, but that would actually freak me out.

SunGazer likes this.
  8. SunGazer

SunGazer Fapstronaut

Thanks for your input, the thought of it was definitely freaking me out.

9. SunGazer

SunGazer Fapstronaut

Honestly I don’t even care about being friends with them anymore it’s just the awkwardness at work that is frustrating me. Honestly I don’t even think half the guys care that I bailed, I just don’t like the feeling of being judged that I was too much of wimp to do it or something. I think I care way too much about what me peers think of me.