1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

5 happy habits that actually make you happier; [The Slight Edge by Jeff Olson]

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Mighty Wolf, Apr 16, 2016.

1. “Shawn Achor, author of The Happiness Advantage, is the happiness researcher and author I’ve worked with most. I have brought him into my company to conduct three-hour workshops on how to be happy as I am committed to spreading happiness! Shawn teaches a set of five simple things you can do every day that, if you do them consistently over time, will make you significantly, noticeably, measurably happier. They are slight edge actions for happiness: happy habits.

1. Each morning, write down three things you’re grateful for. Not the same three every day; find three new things to write about. That trains your brain to search your circumstances and hunt for the positive.

2. Journal for two minutes a day about one positive experience you’ve had over the past twenty-four hours. Write down every detail you can remember; this causes your brain to literally re-experience the experience, which doubles its positive impact.

3. Meditate daily. Nothing fancy; just stop all activity, relax, and watch your breath go in and out for two minutes. This trains your brain to focus where you want it to, and not get distracted by negativity in your environment.

4. Do a random act of kindness over the course of each day. To make this simple, Shawn often recommends a specific act of kindness: at the start of each day, take two minutes to write an email to someone you know praising them or thanking them for something they did.

5. Exercise for fifteen minutes daily. Simple cardio, even a brisk walk, has a powerful antidepressant impact, in many cases stronger (and more long-lasting) than an actual antidepressant.

According to Shawn, if you do any one of these things faithfully for just three weeks, twenty-one days in a row, it will start to become a habit—a happy habit. You will have literally begun to rewire your brain to see the world in a different way, and as a result, to be happier on an everyday basis.

An interesting thing is that you don’t have to do all five at once—in fact, Shawn actually recommends that you don’t even try to do that, but instead start with just one and keep repeating it until it becomes a habit, then add another, and so on.”

~The Slight Edge by Jeff Olson

Kal-El, JesusGreen, Lucky1 and 2 others like this.
  2. I'm doing first sometimes (only in my head, without writing it down) and third, and fifth. I can definitely approve! It works! Will have to try second and fourth and see how it goes.

3. That's great @Shugi Shugi. Keep doing them. I have been doing 2,3 and 5. From today I have started 1 and 4. Lets see how it goes.

4. Lucky1

Lucky1 Fapstronaut

Thanks for this post!

I love meditation, i absolutely swear by it as one of the most important investments that you can make in yourself.

This inspired me to meditate, put on a 10 minute timer and focus on my breath as i used to do all the time.

I feel so amazing now, so so relaxed, i think i'm going to put it back into my routine. Thank you!

Mighty Wolf likes this.
  5. Zeenek

Zeenek Fapstronaut

I will start do it tomorrow!

Mighty Wolf likes this.
  6. life 2.0

life 2.0 Fapstronaut

The Slight Edge is a true masterpiece! I've read the book a few months ago and learned a lot from it.
    These habbits are very strong because we become what we think about.
    When you force yourself into positive thinking and doing positive things, positivity will come to you.
    I started writing down 3 things I'm grateful for everyday, It's hard to find 3 new things everyday but I begin to appreciate little things in life and I start to see what matters most.

Mighty Wolf likes this.
  7. philstronaut

philstronaut Fapstronaut

Yeah, @life 2.0 makes a good point, I tried making a list of three things I'm grateful for each day for a few weeks last summer, and after a few easy days at the start where you list the big things (family, job, friends, home etc), it really forces you to start looking at the smaller details of life. It could be tempting to get disappointed that you don't have an endless list of huge amazing things to be thankful for, but it helped me realise that when you start scratching the surface, there's a hell of a lot in life to take pleasure in. The smallest things can be the most satisfying.

Mighty Wolf likes this.