Is anyone here into fasting or intermittent fasting?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by LipSync4YourLife, May 11, 2016.

1. LipSync4YourLife

LipSync4YourLife Fapstronaut

Hey guys. Still new 'round these parts.

So I used to weigh 330 lbs. I lost about 100lbs that I'd been struggling with my entire adult life in about 8 months. (This was in 2012). I did this by intermittent fasting (Basically, fasting every other day, so 3 out of 7 days a week), and experienced tons of other health improvements doing it. I also went on some good herbs and supplements I had studied and all in all, was feeling like a healthier person in most aspects of my life. Still had my addictions, but I had more self control in general.

On non-fasting days, you can basically eat whatever you want as fasting 3 days out of 7 leaves you with a huge calorie deficit. Weight loss is inevitable.

Then I moved to TX (last year), lived with some friends who lived on fast food and soda, and I just kind of dropped everything and slipped back into my old weight/lifestyle.

I gained a significant amount of weight back, to the shock of no one. Still, it was very depressing. So as I started my NoFap journey a couple days ago, I also decided to start intermittent fasting again. I will be nearing the end of my first 24 hour fast in about 6 hours.

I know there will be those who will say "fasting is bad for you", or "your body will hold onto the weight if you don't eat". - I've heard all this before but this was not my experience at all and there's a huge community of people out there who fast successfully for weight loss or other health reasons. I'm not a doctor, but I've done my research (years and years of it), experienced the life changes it brought me before, and there is a ton of scientific data and studies that show the benefits of it (beyond weight loss), such as life extension. I won't get into the science of it, but I encourage you to research it, it's enlightening. I'd be happy to answer any questions that I can about it, though.

Wondered if anyone else here has tried it or might be currently doing it. I was thinking of posting pics of myself at my current weight and throughout my intermittent fasting.

Note: I'm not trying to sell fasting to you/debate it's benefits or anything like that - just wanted to share my experience with you all and see if anyone would be interested in following my weight loss/health journey. (pics from my first experience with fasting below).

Edit: words

Sorry for grammar/wording. Wrote this quickly before work.

Here's how it went for me last time...

2010: (How I looked up until I started my fast in early 2012)
    [​IMG]

2012: (8 months after starting fast. 100lbs later)

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 11, 2016
  2. onebookperweek

onebookperweek Fapstronaut

Hey, that's great to hear.

I do intermittent fasting, as well.

.. ..

Ĺike you said, there are many benefits. For example, there is a book entitled: Clean: The revolutionary program to restore the body's natural ability to heal itself.

The author, Dr. Alejandro Junger, says that fasting allows the body to release toxins into the bloodstream, so that they can be expelled via regular bodily functions (i.e. going to the bathroom). Like you said, there is a lot of valuable information on the subject.

LipSync4YourLife likes this.
  3. LipSync4YourLife

Absolutely. There's lots of good info out there. I'm especially interested in the effect on aging.

That's great you're doing it too. How's your experience been?

onebookperweek likes this.
  4. I did it a few times and found it very beneficial. I did a daily 20 hour fast, the 4 hour eating window each day made me lose lots of weight and it seemed to fit my routine/life style.

Now that you mention it, I'm motivated to start again.

5. I do intermittent fasting too. I got similar story. Was overweight, discovered intermittent fasting, lost about 70 pounds and got back to normal weight. I also got into jogging and body weight training. Fasting was catalyst for other healthy lifestyle choices. Then kinda deteriorated cos of stress, anxiety and depression. Stopped doing all of that. Gained all the weight back and even more on top of it. Then found NoFap and started to jog and fast again cos of the positive momentum of not fapping. Lost a lot of weight during those two months. Still not to the weight I want to be but I'm getting there.

I started with 9 hour eating window and slowly decreased to 4 hour eating window. That's what I do every day now. 4/20. Never faster for longer than that. I notice many benefits. Not only weight comes of faster and easier (cos fasting makes me less hungry) but also have more energy during workouts and in a day, my mind is more clear and focused and I even need less sleep when I fast. My skin is better too. Good stuff!

Keep it up man.

6. LipSync4YourLife

I'm happy to hear that you guys are doing this as well. I'll have to try the eating window.

I understand about gaining it back. It's so easy to fall back into old habits. I'm glad you're starting again, pathtoimprovement.

Shugi, it's so hard for me to get into exercising other than walking. I just can't find motivation. I know I need to. Jealous of your drive. Keep it up!

7. A very good way to lose weight is a ketogenic diet combined with intermittent fasting.

8. Mustnotfapinberlin

Mustnotfapinberlin Fapstronaut

I used to fast for extended periods of time. Usually 10 days, sometimes longer. I once lived on water only for 33 days.

However, I am a compulsive eater, so over the course of the years my average weight steadily increased. 10 years ago I was a marathon runner, and in very decent shape. Now 48 I am at my lifetime maximum weight (which is still well below 200 pounds, I must say). It seems as though when we get older, we also get more reluctant to change habits.

9. LipSync4YourLife

I also compulsively eat, so I understand. It's great you manage to keep it under 200, though! I got up to 330. Are you thinking of fasting again?

10. Mustnotfapinberlin

I no longer have the discipline to do so. Maybe it's also because it's not as important to me as it used to be. I am 48, and these things become less important when you get older.

11. fapequalsdeath

fapequalsdeath Fapstronaut

I use it to bulk actually but lately i don't have the time or energy to incorporate it in my routiune. Fasting is great way of the body to get rid of toxins and absorb the food better. The downside is you are feeling hungry, but I've noticed after 1-2 hours it usually goes away. Still if i need to do some intellectual work it bothers me quite alot...

12. Mustnotfapinberlin

Great avatar. Great math: F=D.