1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Learning a new language

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by College Student, Sep 8, 2016.

1. College Student

College Student Fapstronaut

Are you learning a new language? If so, what language are you learning and why?

I'm currently learning Norwegian because my ancestor is from Norway and became interested with their culture and their language.

Lazarus Shuttlesworth likes this.
  2. I admit I haven't been trying nearly as much as I should be, but I've been slowly learning ASL - American Sign Language.

I've always been really intrigued by signing and deaf culture in general. It's such a beautiful language, and it's like... a whole new thing. A whole new way to learn a language, when you can speak English and ASL simultaneously. I also just love how intuitive it is. Half the time you learn a new word you're like "oh, yeah, that totally makes sense." Even when you can't logically pinpoint why it makes sense, it just sort of feels natural and right.

3. overclocked

overclocked Fapstronaut

I do. Started two weeks ago. I'm learning Spanish. I do it for fun, I like language.
    Why Spanish? I wanted to learn a language that is wide spread so that I can get to know different cultures, also I wanted something not too difficult with its literature written in Roman alphabet and with vocabulary that I can link to other languages I already know.
    French would have been great, too for my criteria. Maybe after I mastered the basics of Spanish.

4. overclocked

overclocked Fapstronaut

I'm from Germany. I heard from Trinidad and Tobago in 2006 when the national football team qualified for the world championship in Germany.
    Spanish makes a lot of sense to you because than you can travel to Latin america and talk to people. I can travel to Spain and other small islands nearby, but I find central/ south America more interesting.

College Student likes this.
  5. College Student

Oh cool It makes me happy to see you taking on ASL! I'm quite fluent with ASL and been signing for a long long long time.

There's a name for it, it's called SimCom or Simultaneous communication! :)

StepsReborn likes this.
  6. College Student

I may eventually learn Spanish in the future, but I have quite a few in queue :). German is one of them! ;)

overclocked likes this.
  7. What did you do to become fluent? Did you take classes? Casually learn on your own? I think I'd like to take a class, so I can actually sign with people in conversation.

8. It was a special moment for my country and also learning a new language increases brain function.

College Student and overclocked like this.
  9. SMK

SMK Guest

I can speak English,Hindi & Urdu.
    I can write English & Hindi.
    I can read Araebic fluently and understand partially.

10. College Student

My sister is deaf so I would take classes and have her teach me often. I would casually learn on my own too. You should take a class! I recommend it!

StepsReborn likes this.
  11. bodigura

bodigura Fapstronaut

i want learn about german~

12. I'm learning amharic, the language spoken in Ethiopia. I was born and raised in Toronto but my background is Ethiopian. I do want to be more connected with my roots. It's embarrassing that I've actually lived there for 3 years and still can't speak the language fluently. I know most of the words it's just my accent is different I guess..

It sucks when your speaking with someone in their language (to improve) and they respond to you in English lol whenever I went to Québec, Montreal the people over there would always respond to me in English whenever I spoke in French. -.-

overclocked likes this.
  13. nfprogress

nfprogress Fapstronaut

Imbibing Spanish as time allows. I have a litany of reasons to learn. After thirty something years, I am getting a mite bored with English and have elected to break free from my self-imposed unilinguist chains.

overclocked likes this.