1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Getting back on track

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Alyosha, Mar 31, 2017.

1. Alyosha

Alyosha Fapstronaut

Hey guys! I just wanted your input on the best way to get back on track after a relapse. I actually went about 60 days until I relapsed about a month ago, and since then i ts been a cycle of relapse every three days. So it seems I'm caught in a vicious cycle.

So I wondered, is there a method for getting back on track immediately and not falling into this? I think the worst part of relapse is the thought that I've slid to the bottom of the ladder, and have to start climbing again rung by rung. But Is there a way to kind of "kick-start" progress? Like climb every other rung, or anything else that will make getting to the top easier?

Because I think if I just believed that my actions the day after a relapse made a major impact on my progress, I'd be way less likely to relapse, and more likely to take action. Problem is too, I've been in this game so long its easy to be cynical.

Any thoughts?

Whackless and SoulOf1Lion like this.
  2. SoulOf1Lion

SoulOf1Lion Fapstronaut

Ask yourself this, what do you want? whats preventing you from getting what you want? whats the price of not making a change? And what advantages would you get from changing now?

Write the answers down and read them every single day

Whackless likes this.
  3. Whackless

Whackless Fapstronaut

4. Capt.

Capt. Fapstronaut

What you've got to understand is that although your 'timer' as reset per se, you've made significant progress nonetheless in your brain's healing. If a smoker goes without smoking for 60 days, this is what happens:

- In as few as 12 hours after quitting smoking, the carbon monoxide in your body decreases to lower levels.
    - Just one full day after quitting smoking, your risk for coronary artery disease will already begin to reduce. Your risk of having a heart attack also starts to decline
    - Once you quit smoking for 48 hours, your nerve endings will start to regrow, and your ability to smell and taste will improve
    - Within three weeks, you’ll be able to exercise and perform physical activities without feeling winded
    - After one month without cigarettes, the cilia inside your lungs will begin to repair

Now if he goes and smokes one cigarette, all of his healing doesn't vanish/reverse. You have to apply that same mentality to NoFap. It shouldn't be about the timer; rather you should have a deeper reason to quit. Wether its to overcome social anxiety, self-improvement, relationship building, overcoming PIED or something entirely different. There should be at least a few reasons to drive your commitment to quit PMO.

The timer is simply a tool. but if you place the weight of your entire progress on a number and that number vanishes, you'll feel like shit. There's no doubt about that. Create a 'why' and you'll have a much easier time progressing through this. Even if you relapse, you'll know you've made progress in other areas of your life that matter and you won't fall back into a vicious cycle of relapsing.

Tonytone and The |E|volutionary like this.
  5. Alyosha

Alyosha Fapstronaut

Thanks guys. Capt., that's very insightful. I think my main goals are simply "PMO is wrong and I shouldn't be doing it." Or "PMO has a negative impact on my mood, and effects my relationships." One thing I fear is the placebo effect, where I come to expect social anxiety, depression, etc. simply because I relapsed. To a point I don't know what's real symptoms and what's my mind playing tricks on me. (It's one disadvantage to NoFap).

@Sir Didymus, thanks! It's good to know I'm remembered.