1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

‘The Power of Now’ and NoFap/SR

Discussion in 'Abstinence, Retention, and Sexual Transmutation' started by PrioritySystem, Jun 26, 2021.

1. PrioritySystem

PrioritySystem Fapstronaut

‘The Power of Now’ by Eckhart Tolle, is an extremely powerful and eye-opening book that absolutely changed my life.

I recently just realised that ‘The Power of Now’ makes NoFap/SR much easier, it gives a better way to approach it. My realisations:

-there is only one moment in which NoFap/SR can be practiced: that is the Now. Future and past are concepts created by the mind, but they cannot survive in the eternal present of the Now.

-it is more effective to approach NoFap/SR as the ‘observer’, that observes thoughts, instead of dwelling in the mind. It does not work to approach NoFap/SR in a rational way, but it works to approach it in a more ‘conscious’ way. No arguing about whether you are going to PMO or not, but ‘watch’ (with the inner eye), and ‘be’ (in the present moment), and ‘decide’ without using words or arguments, not to do PMO. The mind is not strong enough to beat PMO, your consciousness is.

-not only is ‘Being’, as described in the book, a very liberating feeling, it also clears all the mumbling voices in the head and makes you very clear. It enables you to make real choices and decisions. Such as the choice not to do PMO.

-I woke up this morning, and I saw multiple thoughts going through my mind. (Notice how I write: ‘I saw thoughts going through my mind’, instead of ‘I was thinking about lots of stuff’).
    Some of those thoughts were sexual, some weren’t. But I was able to decide what my mind would be thinking about. I chose something not-sexual. Because I didn’t feel controlled by my own mind, I was able to take a step back and decide my mind wouldn’t be thinking about something sexual that morning.

I would advise anyone to read ‘The Power of Now’, or at least parts of it, to understand the simple yet liberating message it contains. This can make your life much more simple, it’s really not as complex as your mind tries to make it. Can also help to let go of stupid concepts like your ‘identity’ based on things that happened or were done in the past.

Quezatolah, Buddhabro, jago_ and 3 others like this.
  2. I read your post and bought a copy of the book for my tablet.

PrioritySystem likes this.
  3. PrioritySystem

PrioritySystem Fapstronaut

Let me know how you like it. You don’t even have to read the entire thing to understand the concept

4. Yeah, I'm loving the book. I paused and looked into myself and felt that my body was telling me that I felt numb, a little lost and robotic, and decided to take less time on the computer. I've got a bit of a monkey brain too.

5. jago_

jago_ Fapstronaut

Great book, similar kind of mindset helps me right now. First month wasn't hard at all mentally when you approach NoFap this way.