1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

20, feeling utterly lost.

Discussion in 'Loneliness' started by insingularity, Sep 11, 2018.

1. insingularity

insingularity New Fapstronaut

Hello all,
    As the title goes, I'm 20 years old this year. I haven't dated in nearly 4 years now, had encounters with girls I really would like to have dated pass me by. Either because of my own doing or that it just wasn't gonna work out. I've been feeling down about how I want to go about relationships, casual sex and the fact that I am still a virgin. I don't know since when but all the sudden being a virgin bothered me, it embarrassed me thinking about it. I tried to go on tinder to get to know people, I tried, I couldn't wrap my head around the culture nor could I approach girls in real life. It's getting tougher since all my friends are dating again or are dating for the first time. I feel like I won't find love or it'll take too long a time. I try to think rationally about these things and make changes to better myself. To make peace with my insecurities, I thought I made progress quite a few times. It all turned out that I was only bottling it all up. I would break down every few months from all the pent-up frustration, sadness, anger and all.

torrace likes this.
  2. torrace

torrace Fapstronaut

Hi @insingularity

Before I got married this year (I'm 30), I didn't get a girlfriend until I was 21. After my breakup, I was single for more than 6 years! During the 6 years, I didn't date anyone for 3 years. I only started seriously looking for dates 3 years ago. And even then I felt like giving up, that I would be single my entire life as all my friends around me were making progress in their careers, getting married, having kids and just starting to date.

I was also nervous about approaching girls, so I approached them as a friend instead. Sincerely getting to know them, and also accepting rejections like it's part of everyday life. Whenever I felt worn out and tired from all the rejections, I would stop and just be by myself for about a month before I went out to meet people.

Regarding making progress on insecurities, well sometimes it does come back. Let yourself feel those emotions and then remind yourself of the present. You have made it this far, you are still alive, and that is a blessing!

Feel free to journal your thoughts here. Writing it out can help with releasing these negative emotions. Taking up sports is also a good way to meet new people.

Stay strong!

Duawan and Who I want to be like this.
  3. Duawan

Duawan Fapstronaut

@torrace thanks for sharing brother.. :)

torrace likes this.
  4. Gottabebetter

Gottabebetter Fapstronaut

I wouldn't suggest getting caught up in the casual scene if you're a virgin; you'll probably end up regretting it later down the road. Torrace gave the best advise, find a friend, and don't be afraid of all that friendzone nonsense either.

I know people caught up in the friendzone phobia, it keeps them from finding anyone because of one instance in their life where they were pretty much politely rejected. Rejection doesn't mean failure, it only detours you from something that wouldn't of been in your, or that persons best interests. So no matter what keep center focus that there is someone out there who will absolutely adore you, it just takes time.

torrace likes this.
  5. insingularity

Thank you for sharing and I'll definitely keep it in mind .Start with the small steps towards something for now. I've gotten to know a few more friends of both sexes lately. I'll work to know them better and perhaps I'll connect with someone .

torrace likes this.
  6. insingularity

Yeah, at this point, I've realized that the casual scene is definitely not a thing for me .Thoigh I keep on the sites hoping to find someone who shares the same passions or just to meet friends if possible. I don't quite know the friendzone or maybe because I've always been there? Thank you for your words, it's encouraging and reassuring .