1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Am I wasting my time (and money) dating?

Discussion in 'Dating during a Reboot' started by THEdally_llama, Jan 14, 2018.

1. THEdally_llama

THEdally_llama Fapstronaut

So, there's no denying that a majority of my generation (millennials) live in hookup culture. If you don't know what that means, I doubt you'll be able to answer this thread.

My problem doesn't come from approaching girls or getting numbers. I've been pretty successful with that, but, lately I've been running into problems. In the past 6 months or so, I've been on countless dates and met numerous women but have not been successful in having 1) sex, 2) a decent relationship. I've never been the type to hookup on the spot. I know many friends who talk about how they went home with a lady on this night, or how they booty called some girl another night. For me, things never really materialize that way.

I was raised old-school. I'm into going out on dates and then escalating from there. However, it's starting to become more frustrating realizing that this strategy might not be working.

So, my question to ya'll is whether or not I'm wasting my time and money on a lost cause? Am I better off just telling girls that I want sex and dropping it after that? Does taking people on dates send the wrong intentions?

Noelle and BeautyForAshes like this.
  2. How are you meeting your women and what does a typical date run you?

Noelle likes this.
  3. THEdally_llama

I'd say about half come from introductions through mutual friends, half from the night clubs/bars, and a handful from dating apps.

Dates run usually around 40 bucks a person. I know that doesn't sound too bad but I'm trying to save.

4. I guess you just need to be upfront about your true intentions with yourself first. If you're just looking for sex many of the dating apps can allow you to change your status appropriately to "Short-Term Dating, Hookup"... OKCupid is pretty good for that. If you're in a club on a Friday / Saturday night you can rest assured the single women have thought about the possibility of meeting someone "That Night". They may not act on it but I will argue with anyone for days they thought about it the moment they selected their underwear before walking out of the house.

Trying to just hook up with a mutual friend connection could probably end badly for you depending on the social circles you keep, treat one girl badly others are bound to hear about it and taint your pool of prospects.

Really it comes down to what you want, I don't get the vibe you are a hookup person and would rather have something meaningful.

SheMonk and THEdally_llama like this.
  5. Oh there is probably something to be said about how you handle your actual "Date" too. I'd be interested in knowing how you interact with the lady in question that evening and possibly if you're not coming at her in a sexual manner. Women do need to feel you desire her on a date, light touching on the arms, neck, small of her back, holding her hand at dinner etc.

You need to be sending some dopamine bombs her way letting her know sex with her is something you desire, it's human psychology. Women are sexual creatures as well, just more emotional.

Hitto and Superadders like this.
  6. Think about taking prospects out to lunch or coffee instead, it's a good cheap way to gauge interest/attraction. Also on the second date, you know she's been around seen/interacted with you enough to want more.

Hitto and GG2002 like this.
  7. THEdally_llama

I couldn't have said that line better myself haha.

You're right though. I am definitely into finding something meaningful. At the same time, I want to maximize my opportunities and not pass up on sex if it's available. I have a drive just like every other man, and every now and then it has to be met.

Hitto likes this.
  8. THEdally_llama

So, the way I usually do things is the first date is mostly talking and casual with very little touching until maybe the end of the date. Second dates are usually when I start to make moves like kissing or grabbing or whatever sexual contact I feel is appropriate. After that usually I'm trying to have sex with them or really get intimate.

9. I'd really suggest dating multiple women simultaneously and the first date being something cheap like coffee then, you'll gain allot more mileage toward your goal and develop an abundance mindset.

GG2002 likes this.
  10. Try switching it up next time, I usually give a hug and slight peck on the cheek at the start of the first date, nothing like sucking on her face but "kiss hello-ish" if that's a thing. I've yet to have anyone freak out on me because of it. Nobody shows up to these events to see if you're gonna be "real good friends".

Hitto likes this.
  11. THEdally_llama

For sure. I've been dating multiple women simultaneously and I must say I like it a lot better than doing it with just one. But yeah, cheap is probably what I'm going to need to do. Can't afford to keep blowing serious money.

And for sure, I'll try that next time.

12. Superadders

Superadders Fapstronaut

This is an interesting post and I can relate to it somewhat, being a single man who enjoys 'playing the field' myself.

Firstly, you do NOT need to be spending much on dates. 40 bucks? Thats like £30 right? (Im British). What are you buying, dinners? Nothing wrong with just going for a couple casual drinks (especially on first dates).

I agree with Merovinian in that women are sexual beings and want to feel desired. Perhaps you need to express your intent a bit more. It looks like you are comfortable being physical with them but remember there is no rule about when you should kiss/have sex. There is no reason why you cant escalate on the first date. I always try and kiss on first dates. This also applies if you are looking for a relationship because that sexual attraction/spark still needs to be there.

Dating is NOT a lost cause because there is someone for everyone. Dont forget the abundance mentality. Even after 1000 rejections, you can still get the woman you want (trust me, Ive been there). Also, you should NOT tell women you are just looking for sex because that is not honest/congruent with your intentions. You probably dont need to discuss this anyway on first dates.

13. THEdally_llama

About £30, yes. I've been buying usually drinks and dinners, and in the big city they can be costly if I take them to a decent-nice place. About £7 a drink sometimes, and £10 a plate.

Good point about physical attraction again. I don't tend to do enough on first dates, and maybe that's where I'm going wrong. Sometimes I just become hesitant because I have a hard time reading people's emotions, thus leading me to be scared of going in for a kiss the first date. Second dates and beyond tend not to be a problem because I feel more comfortable.

And yes, I am trying to keep that mentality for sure. I feel better when I do approach a lot rather than taking long breaks.

14. THEdally_llama

A little update for ya'll. I've been going on multiple dates with plenty of different women. Still getting the short end of the stick with most of them. A majority never worked out past a 1st or 2nd date. A few made it into the 3rd-4th dates but then they severed the ties. One of the most odd things I've started to notice with the ladies in my area is this - many of them do not want to hook-up, but many of them don't want anything serious either. So, that leaves me to my question of what the fuck do they want?

15. GG2002

GG2002 Fapstronaut

Hi I am female and I have dated the old school way, and then went through the advent of online dating, and I agree it is totally different. We are for sure in a hookup culture. I second what has been said, the first date particularly online should be nothing more than coffee. As an aside I always offered to pay coffee, dinner, etc. Do not spend 40.00 that is way too much, maybe by the third date, okay. If you are looking for just sex, use an app like tinder and be honest about it, put it in your tag line. Look we are in a day and age where women want to hook up and have sex just as much if not more than men, and we have no problem doing it. If that’s what you want, you will find it. But I am having a hard time reading what it is that you do want. The issue I had with online dating or dating in general was that I did not want to just hook up, I was looking for a relationship. I would meet men who would say they were looking for the same, but turns out they really only wanted sex. When I got a few to be honest with me, they said that the women who just wanted sex did not present a challenge and were a turn off so they went out with women who wanted relationships knowing they never did, now that is not cool.

16. RationalBrody

RationalBrody Fapstronaut

I went through a lot of first dates (mostly from Tinder) with the intent on hooking up, but was also open to a potentially more long-term relationship if the chemistry is high with the girl. Those dates were mostly unsuccessful, rarely got a 2nd date, and rarely kissed or escalated to sex.
    In my case, the problem is that I still have anxiety and now showing enough masculinity. And that's the main trait women are attracted to, IMO. Masculinity. Plus the fact that I'm really bad at showing sexual intent and creating attraction.

I view every date as a practice to better my Casanova skills, though.

Noelle and Hitto like this.
  17. Hitto

Hitto Fapstronaut

I can realate bro after going on 11 month streak I want to actually start attempting to date for the first time without all the lust, anxiety and self hatred. However I don't want to hookup and have casual sex with women. Idk I was never that type of person I'm starting to realize after my reboot, because I wanted to emulate my friends were doing and all the brainwashing from pmo.Ive been on one successful date so far gave her a good night kiss and didn't go on another date again. However at the time looking back she made have been hinting wanting to do more maybe I was too naive or anxious to do anything about. But I really want to keep my morals and values I don't want them to lose them while dating just to settle from the fear of being alone

18. Hitto

Hitto Fapstronaut

Haha I can relate but on my first date I at least went for the kiss and she didn't stop me but being honest with myself I guess there wasn't enough of a spark when I did it got her to want to go out again

19. You really never do no how a date is going to end up , You need to start touching on the first date grab her hand lead in into the restaurant or bar or wherever your at , then put your hand on her shoulder if your just standing there wating . You need to at least try to kiss her on the first date or its easy to get friend zoned. also a great one is to tease the women on the date accuses her of wanting you for your body not your mind tell her your not easy and never sleep with a women until date 643 you like to take it slow and get to know them so you don't get hurt , women love this shit when you talk like I wrote , remember dating is like fishing sometimes there really biting sometimes not have fun with it

20. lamstronger

lamstronger Fapstronaut

I'm old school too, but I don't really care about having sex with every girl i go out with. It's more about having a connection, sex isn't my first objective. When I think about it, if I wanted to talk to girls for hookups, I can't. That's not me. I don't imagine myself telling a girl I want to only have sex with her. I think it's the same for you. If I tried to only hookup with girls, I feel like I'd be lying to myself.

Noelle and Hitto like this.