1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Any good books recently?

For Fapstronauts of the Catholic Christian Faith

1. Cathcart22

Cathcart22 Fapstronaut

I am about a quarter of the way into the Song of Bernadette, concerning St. Bernadette Soubirous and the apparitions at Lourdes, and have found it to be very edifying.

What have you been reading? Do you have any recommendations?

Johnthesavage likes this.
  2. Kaladin504

Kaladin504 Fapstronaut

I've been reading "The Man Who was Thursday" by GK Chesterton. It's a very compelling story that is a lot deeper than most modern fiction. I'm also reading Augustine's "Confessions"

3. dlansky

dlansky Fapstronaut

I just finished reading "The Secret of the Rosary" by St. Louis de Montfort. It's short but powerful.

Cathcart22 and Johnthesavage like this.
  4. Currently reading St. John Paul the Great: his five loves and will probably start City of God by St. Augustine soon as his feast day is towards the end of this month. I already read part of Confessions, I liked the first part that's more autobiographical but the latter half seems very philisophical and I think I'd need to sit down and scratch my head to understand it, not a bedside reading for me haha.

Also finished A Canticle for Leibowitz a month ago. It's a science fiction story dealing with the lives of religious in this order, post nuclear fallout, for several generations. That was fun and deeper than expected.

5. Cathcart22

Cathcart22 Fapstronaut

I read Canticle a couple years back and just re-read it this summer. Absolutely incredible - the author really understands the Catholic sense of things and is able to illustrate what it would look like in other-worldly yet familiar settings!

Johnthesavage likes this.
  6. Cathcart22

Cathcart22 Fapstronaut

St. Louis de Montfort is an absolute powerhouse.

7. ADMG

ADMG Fapstronaut

St. Francis de Sales, Introduction to the Devout Life. Great book, especially if you have (or want to have) a habit of mental prayer. Easy to read. Very powerful. Highly recommended.

dlansky likes this.
  8. dlansky

dlansky Fapstronaut

ADMG: I will look into that. I could definitely use more guidance in prayer.

9. a) Santa Teresa of lisieux, but the version of Maxence Van der Meersch, that explains her autobiography.
    b)
    Fatima in Lucia's Own Words: The Memoirs of Sister Lucia, the Last Fatima Visionary.
    c) The Life of Teresa of Jesus (her autobiography, )and her seminal work "The Interior Castle"; the later is more like a "student book" for people that wants to archive the higest levels of santity.
    d)
    Diary of Saint Maria Faustina Kowalska: Divine Mercy in My Soul. The reading of this book changed my life forever)))

Hope it help you

10. Hello everyone, I've just started reading this book called The Way of a Pilgrim. What I've seen so far is that this book is about a Russian pilgrim's praying life.

P.S. As I said I just began this book. I'm in the first chapter but for sure continue reading.

I just wanted to share