1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Any software developers here?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by ShotDunyun, Jun 20, 2018.

1. ShotDunyun

ShotDunyun Fapstronaut

I've been very interested in game development, specially using Unreal 4. I want to master it using C++, but now I know this is one of the most difficult languages to learn. One of my friends is a developer, and he basically told me that it's a good idea starting with C+.

I'm trying to do some Unreal with C++ courses, but the problem is that the instructors always go too fast, like they think that students already know what they are trying to explain, I was able to find a dude on YouTube that explains C++ like a charm, the problem is that is only C++ with no focus on game development.

Could you give me any advice on how to continue on this? I do not want to give up since I love videogames, and I want to create my own games and make a living out of it, but as a complete begginer I'm unsure on what my first steps should be

Thank you in advance

DeadAngel47 and n1trickpony like this.
  2. tweeby

tweeby Banned

Better off learning unity if you plan to actually ship a game.

ShotDunyun and Deleted Account like this.
  3. It's honestly up to you mate as each engine holds it's own unique learning curve, but from what I've been researching Unity has pretty much caught up to Unreal in a ton of ways, not to mention their big updates supposedly this year to increase graphics, performance, easier work flow, ability to port your game easier from Pc to consoles/mobile and a lot more.

As @tweeby said it is best to use Unity or at least start with it though, it's way easier to learn because of it using C# instead of C++. Personally I couldn't figure out and didn't enjoy using Unreal because of how overly complicated their workflow is and the whole nightmarish C++ aspect, that's why they recommend you start with a more user friendly engine that uses something like C#.

ShotDunyun and tweeby like this.
  4. tweeby

tweeby Banned

@Sarah W.

BTW hi again, there's something called 'bolt visual scripting' if you want something similar to unreal's blueprints. It's not free and I expect unity will at some point roll out their own free visual scripting system, the latest beta build comes with their own shader graph which is very similar to unreal. The beta build is unstable at the minute, but it is worth investigating.

TBH running through their basic c# scripting tutorials shouldn't be much of a big deal.

5. Hiya mate,

I'm not the smartest person out there in terms of learning something but I'm able to grasp C# waaay easier than C++, I found Unreal overbearing and geared towards people who are already seasoned veterans at game making while Unity is the complete opposite. I have to stop slacking and really get back to working on programming. lol

ShotDunyun and tweeby like this.
  6. tweeby

tweeby Banned

haha no worries, I guessed from the last discussion we had you were more than capable of learning c# but I thought it might be a mention. If you need any help scripting just drop me an email!

7. JaneWalters

JaneWalters New Fapstronaut

Guys, please tell me how to save data correctly and more efficiently? The fact is that I want to replace an old hard drive, that has dozens of programs, systems settings and so on, with a new drive.

8. You can clone your drive, that’s one way you can keep everything including your settings and programs. Though it’s usually recommended to make a list of all your programs to re-download and just reformat instead as any bugs, viruses, or other problems slowly happening will carry over onto your new HDD.

https://www.pcmag.com/feature/363387/how-to-clone-a-hard-drive

9. I know it's been a while since you wrote this, but If you don't mind; could you tell me why you felt that way?

To me C++ is just like any other language, it has some low-level features like pointers, but you can behind those quickly, especially if you see how they are implemented in Unreal.
    I started with python, then learned a bit of Javascript and used to work on Blueprints for some time, now doing C++ and feel like people really overstate the difficulty of learning C++.
    That's just my opinion on that though...

10. Do you write C++ professionally or just as a hobby? The language is really huge and I think once you start working with other people who learned perhaps a different subset of it than you, things get complicated. Also there's stuff like header problems, memory leaks, uninitialized variables etc. which C# (mostly) doesn't have.

Deleted Account likes this.
  11. What @optimum said, there are way more variables and things to go wrong, including memory issues. Personally to me there’s a ton more work you have to do compared to C# since that does most of the work for you, and a lot of the language is hard for me to understand. I am trying to learn though.

12. I'm not a CS student, I write & learn C++ as preparation for my thesis (Architecture) and I code alone, I'm glad I do.
    As I work mostly within Unreal-Engine, I understand that it can get complicated, given the big API.
    For uninitialized variables or problems with header-files, I'll just check the debugger. If you mess with memory, well that certainly can be a problem, but you can also check memory in Visual Studio if want to. I just wouldn't work with Pointers in the beginning, at least not outside of Unreals API, I think their preprocessor handles a lot of stuff before the actual compile, they use lot's of #defines to simplify the code.

I see that it can be more complicated to get going with it, but compared to C# in Unity it's not that different, the API and tutorials seem to be the biggest difference.
    Even the syntax seems similar, you define variables, functions and classes in similar ways. Making a game is just complicated in general I think.

Plus: You can make any language look complicated given a sophisticated code IMO, to me making C++ scarier than it is by only emphasizing it's low-level features and referring to a full blown game engine to make that point seems somewhat unfair (not to Unreal, but to C++).
    C++ happens to be USED in more "complicated/sophisticated" ways, but the language itself is as easy or hard as you want it to be.

For me C++ is not the problem, the problem is to create a solid logic for the game given the sparse tutorials on the framework.
    Efficient communication between objects, handling inputs on interfaces and the world and so on. I guess you have to do the same in Unity.

13. WalkingForward

WalkingForward Fapstronaut

I'm late to the party and don't do game development. But my 5 cents is that it's a good idea to learn the basics of programming first and then move on to apply that in a more specialized way.

Deleted Account and n1trickpony like this.
  14. I need to readress this:

Now I've been working on more and more complex topics and have to admit, I forgot how easy a language can be. Still havn't worked with C#, but going back to python made me realize how easy things can be...

http requests that is, mindblowing to request an img with two lines and the requests library..

Still don't like the labels put on C++ (hard, only for programmers, system-language etc.) personally, I should have started to work in C++ earlier, but listened to what people had to say about it. The community also seems a bit more arrogant than the python-people. Overall not not a good situation for C++ or people that could benefit from using it.

Never in my life will I sort or analyze any geometry in anything else but Cpp.

I'm now learning about Functors and fancy ways of sortig Arrays. New stuff to consider, but again, thats just optimization, noone needs to use them to accomplish a sort, it's just quicker. I think it can be easy to use C++ depending on what you want to achieve.

My two additional cents (investing right now)....

15. Arrogant? I fail to see how, if it’s in terms of them saying to start in C# instead of C++ or that it’s easier, that’s an opinion. For a lot of folks C# is easier which is why they use that especially for Unity. Depends on how well you can grasp more complex stuff, C++ definitely allows for more freedom in game development but can get confusing.

16. It is is an opinion for sure, nothing more. I don't know if you understood whom I was referring to. I think the C++ Community is more arrogant, not gamedev, Not people saying that one should learn C#. But in making it - C++ - the holy grail of programming so to speak. Not all of the people I've talked to are like that. But I've never heard a python, Java, or C#-Dev say, that unless und know his/her language your not really a programmer.
    Again, an opinion, an observation, not saying thats the full picture.

17. I was also certainly not referring to anyone here that suggested to start in C#, its a reasonable decision, and the arguments were solid. Just wanted to add the C++ Experience I've had.

18. Aye, I was talking about the C++ community, I haven’t personally really seen any ignorance other than a few things here and there. Mostly they’ve mentioned it all depends on your capacity to learn and how well you can grasp things.