1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone wanting to be born a few centuries later?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by StonePlacidity, Feb 14, 2021.

1. StonePlacidity

StonePlacidity Fapstronaut

To be in the age of space exploration? Just a thought

2. SickSicko

SickSicko Fapstronaut

Later? God no, maybe back.

Abzu and H D M O F like this.
  3. I like to believe that society tends towards progress and improved material conditions. There are no guarantees that anything will be measurably better, but it's not a bad assumption to make. Although, let's say I was born in the 2500s, instead of the late 1990s. What's to stop me from wondering what life would be like in the 3000s?

4. Marcus Aurelius

Marcus Aurelius Fapstronaut

The thought of time travelling to the future terrifies me. What if I got there and humanity was extinct? Or what if "humans" were still around, but we were unrecognizable - physically, mentally, or morally. I'd love to visit the past (though probably not live there), but I'd rather the future be a mystery.

5. No. I am at my prime in this time period. I have no concern over the future, except to see it burn.

6. theMotivator

theMotivator Fapstronaut

Technology goes up (although there are some things, that people could do better than we today), morals go down.

7. Are you admitting your own lack of morals then, since you are on this site?

8. theMotivator

theMotivator Fapstronaut

I didn't mean that technologies make morals go down, but that the morals go down as times go forward.

9. Marcus Aurelius

Honestly, I think that's way oversimplifying things. I think humans remain more or less constant morally because human nature remains more or less constant. We suck at things like temperance, courage, and honouring our elders, but we are better at things like compassion and toleration than we were, say, 500 years ago. I think a lot of it depends on our upbringing, environment etc.

10. Are you saying that courage is moral?

11. theMotivator

theMotivator Fapstronaut

Yea, I just thought about it too. There are places where morals are high and are places where they are low. It depends on people and the environment, as you say. But if we look at the average normal of the generation, then we can see a general decline too (e.g 100 years ago, at the beach people, were with clothing - I saw it once in youtube remastered AI video from 189x something), but now its a zoo :D) But probably it shifts around somehow in different aspects.

Marcus Aurelius likes this.
  12. Marcus Aurelius

Yes. It's one of the four cardinal virtues - along with Justice, Temperance, and Prudence - and I think you'll find that most cultures throughout history have considered Courage a virtue.

13. smh_fam

smh_fam Fapstronaut

Meh, the future will have as many issues as we have now, some the same, some different, some old, some new.

Jung observed that as we began to master the external physical world through science and technology, we seemingly forgot how to master ourselves. A number of his patients, despite being very successful in the civilized world, suffered from mental disturbances that didn't exist in more primitive societies. Tradition and culture are increasingly viewed as archaic or useless and yet these are the foundations of our sanity.

The "Tower of Babel" story of the Bible also seems to echo this. The story begins with how people discovered how to bake bricks. It was a pretty big deal back then. You could now build large, complex and durable structures absolutely anywhere. You don't need to mine a quarry and drag stones for miles. People decided to build a massive tower that reached to heaven in order to unite everybody and Yahweh was all like "haha no". Everything went to hell and the exact opposite occurred.

I guess the idea is that technology is not a replacement for morality, but we often like to think it is. Eventually there will be a correction though and it's probably not going to be pleasant.

Abzu likes this.
  14. WHMvsPMO

WHMvsPMO Fapstronaut

Anyone else think of the song Kip Dynamite sang at the wedding?