Anyone with a severe addiction…how did you recover?

Discussion in 'Compulsive Sexual Behavior' started by Eddie_Moscone_BB, Jul 5, 2023.

1. Kn0wbie

Kn0wbie Fapstronaut

I’m now feeling very embarrassed about my score of 25!!!

https://psychology-tools.com/test/sast
    IMG_7442.png

2. KevinesKay

KevinesKay Fapstronaut

Last edited: Jul 6, 2023
  3. Kn0wbie

Kn0wbie Fapstronaut

4. Kn0wbie

Kn0wbie Fapstronaut

Ok - I’m only a 13!! Though I think that’s somewhere between where I am now… and where I was 110 days ago!!

5. thanks so much for sharing. I’m going to try and remember to do this. What’s helped me is honest prayer. I felt like God was trying to tell me that I need to believe I can recover and that I need to start owning up to my personal responsibility with this addiction and not just be “lazy” and expect him to do all the work for me.

KevinesKay likes this.
  6. Ha! It’s one of the few tests that I wish I failed lol.

Thanks for the encouragement!
    I’ve had a lot of therapists scratch their heads too. It wasn’t until I found my current one that helps me with my past trauma (been diagnosed with complex ptsd) that I started to really see the impact it all had. I actually have a second therapist to deal with the addiction part (I’m very fortunate my insurance works out ok). To anyone that is looking to find one I highly recommend trying to find one that’s csat certified if you can. I’ve learned that most other therapists may not be equipped to treat this like they can.

im not in a support group yet but he wants me to enroll in his group at some point. Im hesitant because I tried a men’s support group previously but I felt really out of place. I was the only single guy there for one and many of the guys already knew each other and were of a different faith than me which I didn’t mind initially but it later felt like a clique. We’ll see how it goes for the next one

KevinesKay likes this.
  7. That’s amazing you hit 4mo! I’ll celebrate for sure if I can make it to the 90days. You’re so right about the overconfidence. It’s led me to plenty relapses.

Unfortunately for me I have to use the internet and smartphone for work. I try to put a screen block password on my iPhone using a random number then writing it down (just in case I need to change it). My plan is to write it down then put it in my safety deposit box. It’s all I can do for now to put some distance away from my usual sites.

OhWhenThe likes this.
  8. Thank you! 19mo is amazing! You’re right about being in recovery for your rest of your life. My therapist told me this too. This is hard for me to process

9. Warfman

Warfman Fapstronaut

Got a 12. I wrestled with some of the questions, as in my past they would be yes, but aren't necessarily now. I tried to put yes on anything that applied to me in the last 3 years.

KevinesKay and Kn0wbie like this.