Are Cosmetics and Makeup a Symbol of Female Oppression?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Oct 7, 2022.

1. No need to as I'm not in here for useless yes/no discussions where the starting point is judgement on the person in stead of on the topic theme .;)

KingScar likes this.
  2. Interesting theory, but you're acting like human sexuality is dictated entirely by the biological urge to reproduce. But that's not true. It isn't. People have sex all the time without wanting to reproduce... they do it just for fun. And people are interested in all kinds of people, not just individuals that meet your narrowly defined definitions of masculinity and feminity. Dudes like other dudes. Women like other women. Both men and women can be turned on by androgynous people.

Also, it's not like make up being a feminine thing is somehow rooted in our biology. In different cultures in the past men wore make up all the time. Wasn't associated with femininity and people still got it on and had babies and the species survived. Also like male rock stars and movie stars who do wear make up get propositioned for sex all the time. So like, what's that about if make up on a guy is a turn off for women?

Make up is not just a feminine thing. There is also make up for men: https://www.differio.com/mens-makeup.html

And lastly it's not like women's sole criteria for looking for dudes to settle down with is whether they would be a good protector or not. Like maybe the guy is funny and makes her laugh? Or he plays an amazing guitar? Or he's really good at sex? Or he just makes her feel special and bubbly inside? And why do you assume that guys that wear make up and nail polish would be less able to defend themselves? They are as likely as any typical non-make up wearing man to know self-defense techniques.

Okay. I apologize if I misunderstood your statement. And I'm not judging you here. Was just trying to encourage you to take responsibility for fixing your addiction not just externalizing the blame on someone else. But seems like you are doing that already.

Roady likes this.
  3. I agree it's counter cultural for now. Becoming more accepted I think. People should just be able to wear what they want without having people police them according to some stupid social standards. If a man wants to wear make up, he should be able to. Men in make up look pretty hot IMO.

4. Meshuga

Meshuga Fapstronaut

And yet, they're wearing makeup. Or sporting some kind of body modification. It's just a thing humans do, and some do it to excess, and it's all a negotiation.

Just because it's "only" a first world problem doesn't mean it isn't a problem, though. But I have oppositional disposition disorder, I argue with everyone. Don't take it personal, I agree makeup isn't worth getting your knickers in a twist.

KingScar likes this.
  5. I agree with that. As a fellow writer, I think we both appreciate that words are important. :)

It's also interesting to note that makeup hasn't always been a societal norm for women. In Egypt, for example, you can often see depictions of Pharoahs with heavy amounts of eyeliner. So no, I definitely don't think makeup was invented to oppress women. I think we are more discussing the current application and how it currently effects society, though, not how or why it was invented in the first place.

Yes, yes, yes. I completely agree with that.

Meshuga likes this.
  6. And that was exactly the case in my life.

7. Thanks for your honest and thorough response.

Just so you know, I’m not like hardcore into these ideas I’m talking about. These are just some thoughts I have. I don’t go around in public telling women not to wear makeup or men not to watch sports.

Like I’ve said in some other responses, I actually think women look really good in makeup and I think there are a lot of positive benefits to sports, for both men and women

I am moreso critiquing capitalism than anything in these posts, and analyzing how these industries profit off of people who really aren’t thinking things through very much

KingScar likes this.
  8. scroowas

scroowas Fapstronaut

I know my reply is a bit late, but while I understand your perspective, I think it's important to recognize that the issue of cosmetics and makeup can be complex and multifaceted. While some argue that it perpetuates certain beauty standards, others see it as a form of self-expression and empowerment. It's essential to respect individual choices and preferences when it comes to personal appearance. For those who are curious about makeup and the beauty industry, exploring resources like https://www.nwcollege.edu can be a great way to gain more knowledge and awareness. It's critical to make informed decisions and understand the various perspectives surrounding cosmetics. Taking the time to educate oneself can lead to a better understanding of the industry and its impact.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2023
  9. Utatunah

Utatunah New Fapstronaut

I totally get where you're coming from, and it's important to question societal norms. Makeup can sometimes feel like a pressure like we gotta doll up to fit in or feel confident. But you know what? It's also about personal choice and expression. Some days, I slap on some mascara 'cause it makes me feel fierce; other days, I rock a bare face 'cause that's just me.

While the cosmetics industry is huge, it's not all about conforming. It's about creativity, self-expression, and sometimes just having fun with colors! And hey, speaking of expression, I stumbled upon some rad nail designs that got me all inspired.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2024
  10. Yin&Yang-Yūki

Yin&Yang-Yūki Fapstronaut

Same like make up for men. masturbation :p play stupid games win stupid prizes.