Are feelings even real

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Ronaldeutsch, Sep 3, 2023.

1. Ronaldeutsch

Ronaldeutsch Fapstronaut

As a man, should you even care about how you feel? I'm a 20 year old male and I've realised that my whole functioning is dependent upon how I feel about things. If I don't feel the best doing it, It is really hard for me to do. I only wake up for fajr (morning prayer) when I feel good about it, I only study, when I feel good about it. But I've started to think that this "you should do what you love to do" isnt real. There are days when you dont want to do what you love to do and you still have to do it. Thats what would make me a man isnt it? Doing stuff, against the will, going against the feelings. Sometimes simplest of tasks such as buying groceries make me feel good and it becomes the most easiest and fun thing to do and sometimes the same task becomes the most difficult thing in the world to do. Just because "I don't feel like doing it"

What do you think?

NF SINCE BIRTH likes this.
  2. I think delayed gratification is the key word here. Often, mundane tasks is what yields you great results in the long term. You shouldnt keep doing something if you absolutely hate it. That is a sign that you are doing the wrong thing. But if you know that the effort will be worth it, that is another matter.

I am of the belief that feelings arent ultimately "real". Feelings tell you a subjective truth about reality. They can be good guides to make good decisions but if you constantly find yourself in a situation where your emotions misguide you, you should take a closer look at them.

What feels good in the short term is rarely healthy for you long term.

Emotions arent dangerous. Try really feeling them. What sensations exactly do you label as bad? Did you know that some people have the exact same "emotions" but interpret it in a completely different way?

Ronaldeutsch likes this.
  3. Ronaldeutsch

Ronaldeutsch Fapstronaut

Well, then what should I do man? How do I learn delayed gratification? How do I respond/react to my feelings, should I ignore them instead. Its difficult for me to ignore them. I'm lost here.